Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Fresh Air ventilation helmets

28K views 102 replies 20 participants last post by  WayneW 
#1 ·
I am not to familiar with these fresh air ventilation systems for helmets and I am tired of breathing all this dirt. I was wondering if I have to buy new helmets or can I add a connection for the blower hose to my existing helmets. I have no problem getting one for myself, but my wife only will use a modular style helmet and I have not seen any that will work with the fresh air blowers. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
awesome, thank you!

#4 ·
ben looking at these also. I tried on an HJC this weekend and didnt like how close the visor and helmet front was to my face. My lips actually touched the mic and that seemed too uncomfortable to me. I need to try on a few different brands to make sure I get one that fits my head profile. All helmets are not created equal, so its kind of important to test fit them.

#5 ·
Helmet fitment is so important. Their are different shapes skulls and thus needing different shape helmets. I can't wear most HJC's because the are a round helmet. I usually wear an intermediate to long oval and have found the Impacts to fit best. I do think it sucks when looking at forced air helmets that they don't give shape and weight specs like they do in the on road two wheeled world.

#6 ·
I ordered a kit to add to my current helmet I just bought, to see if I can make it work it, as well as my wife's modular.

#7 ·
I looked for a kit myself but didn't find anything worthy. When I decided to dump $$ into an intercom/car2car system I bought the Rugged Radios Pyrotech Sport helmet with side air and prewired headset. Wow what a great helmet! As for the pumper well I went budget and the PCI RaceAir lite works but doesn't provide as much air volume as I expected. Just finished a race last weekend and though I didn't breathe dust I did have sweat dripping in my eyes. Thought I'd stay cooler with it. Biggest surprise with air pumpers? The blower noise that comes through the hose into your helmet...its loud. Compared to another drivers pumper and the same thing. Maybe its just the PCI units but....

#8 ·
"Biggest surprise with air pumpers? The blower noise that comes through the hose into your helmet...its loud. Compared to another drivers pumper and the same thing."

I noticed the same thing when I tried on the HJC helmet and hooked up the pumper. It made it sound like there was an echo inside the helmet. That may just take some time to get used to. I am also wondering how hard it would be to route the air hose thru a sealed cooler so it will cool the air down and give a better air conditioned feel. I am thinking I could use frozen bottles of water so it doesnt get messy and can be reused. any other ideas?

#21 · (Edited)
Had one before my Simpson. Not bad just wasn't a fan of the side draft that I had. Had good air movement though. I'd i was to get another, it would be the top mount.

On edit... If you're laying out that kind of coin on a carbon helmet, go put your head In a Simpson Vudoo. For a little more you will get a bad ass helmet. Lite, great view, excellent airflow throughout the helmet and very well built. You won't be disappointed.

#22 ·
So you had the OS20? I like the top mounts also but not sure what my clearance will be to the cage top. I am thinking the top or topside mounted will be better than the one mounted on the jaw area. For just A little more $$$ is the story for everything it seems. I found an impact OS20 for $549. so thats a good discount

#23 ·
Yes it was a side draft carbon fiber os20. I'm guessing that for the 549$ it's the fiberglass Version which is substantially heavier. I think it still has the same air cavities for the flow which is good but the side draft would make the hose get caught up in the cage. I thought the same thing about the top mount as you did but after getting it, I should have went top.

#27 ·
Yes. Skirts fit fine. It's a nice helmet. The side draft would put the hose right into the b pillars of our car. Got tired of having to wrestle with it when looking over my shoulders. I was at GBI one weekend and tired on one of their vudoo's and I was sold. Not that the Impact is not nice, just not as nice and was tired of the hose issue.
My Impact dealer is back on Monday. If you pm me then, I'll send him a text and see what my price would be for you. I'm sure he could hook a brotha up.

#34 ·
I just bought a HJC CS_R3 helmet from PCI with their air mod for a little over $200. They also can wire it too. I'm using it for my Evaporative Cooler system that takes in 95 degree air and I get 60 degree air out into my helmet. I use their big air helmet blower. I've been using a Swampy cooler for a few years in a 3/4 helmet but needed a full face helmet with a helmet skirt for some high speed riding. I will be riding in 100 degree weather near Wickenburg Arizona so I need an air helmet with the helmet skirt. Got the helmet skirt from them too. I took the helmet apart and opened up their side system for way more flow and also added the top air fitting and system. Will put up pictures after I test it. The HRC helmet is a $100 Dot helmet and not approved for racing but for me it should work great.

#51 ·
How well did the top vent keep your head cool? Was the air flow good ?
I tried on a Pyrotect last weekend and it fit pretty good and yours was reasonably price for a carbon fiber helmet.
I have already purchased my pumper. I got the PCI BIG air single which pumps 150cfms because I have heard the inlne bilge blower type pumps are louder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.