For those debating gear reduction - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

For those debating gear reduction

This is a discussion on For those debating gear reduction within the YXZ 1000R SS forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; Actually, you may have hit on something I had not considered before as an option. I am concerned that 70/30 is such a big jump ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: For those debating gear reduction

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Actually, you may have hit on something I had not considered before as an option. I am concerned that 70/30 is such a big jump down and might be too steep and as such was leaning toward 45/15 but that it might not be quite low enough for the slow speed stuff. But I wonder if a 45/15 + heavier fly wheel might be the right mix for that all around machine.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

2017 YXZ1000r SS SE - purchased April 2017

Regards,
    JavaJack

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJack View Post
    Actually, you may have hit on something I had not considered before as an option. I am concerned that 70/30 is such a big jump down and might be too steep and as such was leaning toward 45/15 but that it might not be quite low enough for the slow speed stuff. But I wonder if a 45/15 + heavier fly wheel might be the right mix for that all around machine.
    No doubt with any of the gear reduction kits you will need to adjust your driving style. If you would choose the 70/30 you would naturally need to drop the engine RPM more to accommodate for the lower first gear before the down shift to assure a smooth transition, likewise with the 45/15, just not as much. I think you will find yourself looking for that first gear a lot less since second gear will be comparable to your old first gear. There will defiantly be a learning curve that will come with any of the gear reduction kits.
    Visionhvac1 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    No doubt with any of the gear reduction kits you will need to adjust your driving style. If you would choose the 70/30 you would naturally need to drop the engine RPM more to accommodate for the lower first gear before the down shift to assure a smooth transition, likewise with the 45/15, just not as much. I think you will find yourself looking for that first gear a lot less since second gear will be comparable to your old first gear. There will defiantly be a learning curve that will come with any of the gear reduction kits.
    I really don't shift by RPM, I let the car tell me when I need to shift. The sound of the motor, the feel of the car has always worked well for me and completes the driving experience. In my S2000, I usually rev match on the downshift but can't really do that with the Sport Shift
    rsessions and Rider414 like this.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

Regards,
    JavaJack

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJack View Post
    I really don't shift by RPM, I let the car tell me when I need to shift. The sound of the motor, the feel of the car has always worked well for me and completes the driving experience. In my S2000, I usually rev match on the downshift but can't really do that with the Sport Shift
    Wow, if the sound of engine and the feel of the car isn't a direct correlation to the RPM I don't know what is ! Maybe I should have phrased it differently, like "you may need to wait till your car gets extremely quiet and feels very lethargic before down shifting to first gear due to it being aggressively under driven". Don't worry, we will have no more misunderstandings, I am sick of you trolling every post I make to help you out, or post specs you think you know or offer you parts 25% cost. Have a great life.
    dumontsand likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    Took me a couple of rides to get use to the gear reduction. Just gotta remap the brain.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Actually the car will downshift into 1st - on an as needed basis. If you are going too slow then it will go into first without you doing it.

That means that you are already going very slow to even consider it.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Wow, if the sound of engine and the feel of the car isn't a direct correlation to the RPM I don't know what is ! Maybe I should have phrased it differently, like "you may need to wait till your car gets extremely quiet and feels very lethargic before down shifting to first gear due to it being aggressively under driven". Don't worry, we will have no more misunderstandings, I am sick of you trolling every post I make to help you out, or post specs you think you know or offer you parts 25% cost. Have a great life.
    Hmm, sorry if I offended you. That was certainly not my intention and I do very much appreciate your input and experience. I wasn't trying to troll your posts...I was responding because you were kind enough to provide input so I wanted to reply. As for other posts, I asked because I generally don't know and look to folks like you and others that have way more experience than I do. This is my first SxS so I there is way more that I don't know than I do and is exactly why I am here because I figure others have way more experience about this stuff than I.

As for shifting by RPM, perhaps I took your comment too literally, I just figured some people actually shift and preset RPMs and watch the RPM gauge to determine when to shift. As for posting specs on the torque bolt, I was just quoting what I read and was looking for confirmation. As to the tire, after factoring shipping costs, it was going to be just as much as buying new...I thought I had gotten back to you about it but I guess I didn't and for that I am sorry.

So, I really am sorry if my replies felt unappreciative or condescending as that was never my intent.
    Last edited by JavaJack; 06-10-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Regards,
    JavaJack

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    So are you the 1 in 10 or the 10 to 1

Just kidding. No one should be taking offense at any post. People just try to make themselves clear, and sometimes it "can" come across wrong, when it wasn't meant to. Seems like that is what happened.
    scottdmax likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Unless I'm in deep sand , I like to shift around 5000. The car seems to be ready about then! and good torque and horse power coming on. Love this SS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Dr Performance:
    First welcome to the forum.

For riding one trip, you sure make some strong statements regarding gearing, riding style, and clutch durability.
    1st taller tires will give you a better ride (thats why other makes RZR and Can Am come with 29 & 30" stock)
    They also allow you to clear more obstacles, rocks, etc. also you will be able to climb steeper hills, stop for obstacles on hill and start again. Slow down at top of unknown crest when you can't see other side and continue. Oh and be certain your clutch will not burn out.
    I've been on 500 mile trip through Utah cruised down some steep mountains in 2nd without ever having my clutch light come on.For those debating gear reduction-climbing-mt-carmel.jpgFor those debating gear reduction-img_0157.jpgFor those debating gear reduction-img_0137.jpg

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links