For those debating gear reduction - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

For those debating gear reduction

This is a discussion on For those debating gear reduction within the YXZ 1000R SS forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; Just got back from a 40 mile run through the mountains again today with 5 RZR's without the gear reduction would not of attempted if ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 85
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: For those debating gear reduction

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9450
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    317
    Member #
    9450
    Liked
    85 times
    Just got back from a 40 mile run through the mountains again today with 5 RZR's without the gear reduction would not of attempted
    if you tried to go up the hill at high speeds there were deep gullies, rocks and boulders to weave around tree roots sticking out in the trail,
    steep drop offs on either side some times after a crest that you couldn't see over etc. etc. etc.

    The gear reduction with 31' tires gives you back about all of your speed in 2nd-5th GEARS it just gives you the super low 1st gear you need to be able to go where the belt driven machines can go.
    Visionhvac1 likes this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member JavaJack's Avatar
    Member #
    12074
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Austin TX/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    145
    Member #
    12074
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dumontsand View Post
    Just got back from a 40 mile run through the mountains again today with 5 RZR's without the gear reduction would not of attempted
    if you tried to go up the hill at high speeds there were deep gullies, rocks and boulders to weave around tree roots sticking out in the trail,
    steep drop offs on either side some times after a crest that you couldn't see over etc. etc. etc.

    The gear reduction with 31' tires gives you back about all of your speed in 2nd-5th GEARS it just gives you the super low 1st gear you need to be able to go where the belt driven machines can go.
    Thanks. So, 2nd - 5th feel the same after 70/30+15 once you go to 30 or 31" tires as stock with 27" tires? 1st is just shorter and good for the crawly stuff?

    I think I really just need to ride in one to get a sense of it. I hear what everyone is saying but it's such an expensive mod, I don't want to get it wrong. Thanks for sharing.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

    2017 YXZ1000r SS SE - purchased April 2017

    Regards,
    JavaJack

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9450
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    317
    Member #
    9450
    Liked
    85 times
    Jack
    You really won't get it wrong, You will find that either the 70 or 45 gear reduction will make your ride so much better.
    If your like me and concerned about durability make sure you get the clutch oiling mods at the same time.
    If you ride mostly sand dunes, or you only want to run 28 or 29" tireyou might want the 45, but if you want to ride in more adventurous terrain or run larger tires go for the 70/30/15. I can still hit 75mph plus with mine, and can get to top speed a lot faster.
    When I dropped off and also when I picked up my YXZ at Tubeworks, Yamaha was dropping off factory units and having the tube works 70/30/15 installed, so you know an upcoming model year they will change their gear ratios to coincide with the final gear ratio that tube works came out with. I bet they will also come with taller tires at that time also. Buying earlier models we are some what doing the market research for Yamaha, but many ended up getting substantial discounts which might not of been the case if the yxz wasn't in need of such drastic changes like the gear reduction.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member JavaJack's Avatar
    Member #
    12074
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Austin TX/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    145
    Member #
    12074
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dumontsand View Post
    Jack
    You really won't get it wrong, You will find that either the 70 or 45 gear reduction will make your ride so much better.
    If your like me and concerned about durability make sure you get the clutch oiling mods at the same time.
    If you ride mostly sand dunes, or you only want to run 28 or 29" tireyou might want the 45, but if you want to ride in more adventurous terrain or run larger tires go for the 70/30/15. I can still hit 75mph plus with mine, and can get to top speed a lot faster.
    When I dropped off and also when I picked up my YXZ at Tubeworks, Yamaha was dropping off factory units and having the tube works 70/30/15 installed, so you know an upcoming model year they will change their gear ratios to coincide with the final gear ratio that tube works came out with. I bet they will also come with taller tires at that time also. Buying earlier models we are some what doing the market research for Yamaha, but many ended up getting substantial discounts which might not of been the case if the yxz wasn't in need of such drastic changes like the gear reduction.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    I am a bit curious if TW sells more of one ratio over the other. It seems most here have the 70/30 and everyone with that seems pretty happy. It's not an easy decision for sure. I have about a month of traveling for work coming up so I may try to pop it out before my trips start and send it off.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

    2017 YXZ1000r SS SE - purchased April 2017

    Regards,
    JavaJack

  6. #25
    Senior Member down4glamis's Avatar
    Member #
    3194
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    148
    Member #
    3194
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaJack View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

    I am a bit curious if TW sells more of one ratio over the other. It seems most here have the 70/30 and everyone with that seems pretty happy. It's not an easy decision for sure. I have about a month of traveling for work coming up so I may try to pop it out before my trips start and send it off.
    We sell 80%/20% trail kit vs desert kit. And of the desert kit only a small handful opt for the 5th gear option. 70/30/15 is the all around, do anything, go anywhere, keep your top end gear kit. period. done.
    Last edited by down4glamis; 06-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Visionhvac1 likes this.

  7. #26
    Senior Member JavaJack's Avatar
    Member #
    12074
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Austin TX/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    145
    Member #
    12074
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by down4glamis View Post
    We sell 80/20 trail kit vs desert kit. And of the desert kit only a small handful opt for the 5th gear option. 70/30/15 is the all around, do anything, go anywhere, keep your top end gear kit. period. done.
    Wow, did not know you had another kit as well that goes even lower. Thanks.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

    2017 YXZ1000r SS SE - purchased April 2017

    Regards,
    JavaJack

  8. #27
    Senior Member JW329's Avatar
    Member #
    3993
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    274
    Member #
    3993
    Liked
    145 times
    Lol he meant 80% of the kits sold are trail kits and 20% are desert kits.
    down4glamis and Visionhvac1 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    JW329 is probably the coolest dude I've ever met!

  9. #28
    Senior Member scottdmax's Avatar
    Member #
    54
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    2,105
    Member #
    54
    Liked
    690 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JW329 View Post
    Lol he meant 80% of the kits sold are trail kits and 20% are desert kits.
    ...I was gonna say!
    Visionhvac1 likes this.
    2016 YXZ1000R SE 60th Anniversary Edition. RPM/Weller Turbo, Rekluse Clutch w/ TW Oil Mod and Stacked Springs, Weller KOH shocks, Eibach Sway Bars w/ Weller Links, Brick City Fab Sport Cage, Axia Mirrors & Sun Visors, DragonFire Harnesses, Yamaha Cargo Box. Alternator kit, 50" Light Bar, FUTV Skids, 28-10x14 Fuel Grippers, 30" Skat Extremes on DWT Stealth Wheels for the sand, Rugged Radio Intercom....and a bunch of other add ons/mods I'm forgetting!

  10. #29
    Senior Member stevozzz's Avatar
    Member #
    5522
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    617
    Member #
    5522
    Liked
    160 times
    The way that I looked at it way before I got the 70/30/15 done to mine,,, I too was beating myself up on which one to get because I really didn't want to loose the top end so I tried to find videos so I could maybe see if anyone had anything on the 70/30 or the 45/15 and didn't find much so I talked to Jason and Kyle a lot about it and told them what kind of riding I do and they said again and again that the 70/30/15 was the gear reduction for me... Even the morning when I dropped it off to them again I just had to ask them again and again same answer so that's what I did... Like Jason said they even have 70/30/15 in their cars for the king of hammers and that race has everything and that's the gears they liked and worked well for them,,, So why wouldn't it work great for me so again I got the 70/30/15 and love it... Like I always said I still would like to try the 45/15 but I do believe that some of the rides that we go on the 45/15 would have to work and work hard just saying... Like others have said it all depends on what kind of driving that you will be doing... After I got the 70/30/15 I knew I did a lot or worrying for nothing... Just saying
    Visionhvac1 and Dtfm33 like this.

  11. #30
    Senior Member down4glamis's Avatar
    Member #
    3194
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    148
    Member #
    3194
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevozzz View Post
    The way that I looked at it way before I got the 70/30/15 done to mine,,, I too was beating myself up on which one to get because I really didn't want to loose the top end so I tried to find videos so I could maybe see if anyone had anything on the 70/30 or the 45/15 and didn't find much so I talked to Jason and Kyle a lot about it and told them what kind of riding I do and they said again and again that the 70/30/15 was the gear reduction for me... Even the morning when I dropped it off to them again I just had to ask them again and again same answer so that's what I did... Like Jason said they even have 70/30/15 in their cars for the king of hammers and that race has everything and that's the gears they liked and worked well for them,,, So why wouldn't it work great for me so again I got the 70/30/15 and love it... Like I always said I still would like to try the 45/15 but I do believe that some of the rides that we go on the 45/15 would have to work and work hard just saying... Like others have said it all depends on what kind of driving that you will be doing... After I got the 70/30/15 I knew I did a lot or worrying for nothing... Just saying
    Its hard to preach about it. Some people are just skeptics. Its crazy the amount of phones calls I get where people want the info, ask the questions and continue to repeat "I just dont think I need, it; I like my 27s and putting on bigger tires is a bad idea. I drive really, really fast everywhere and those large tires and your gear kit are going to slow me down". I just need to refer people over and over to this site and some of these threads.
    Visionhvac1 likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gear reduction in SS
    By realdyl75 in forum YXZ 1000R SS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
  2. Gear reduction 5th gear question
    By 07raptorgytr in forum YXZ Drivetrain
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM
  3. gear reduction
    By bjniceguy in forum YXZ 1000R SS
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM
  4. Tube Works Gear Reduction By Gear (Estimate/Approximation)
    By cagearhead in forum YXZ Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM
  5. Gear Reduction
    By ruggbutt in forum YXZ General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 06:58 PM