For those debating gear reduction - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

For those debating gear reduction

This is a discussion on For those debating gear reduction within the YXZ 1000R SS forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; down4glammis - NOPE I use mine a lot - I don't go to areas that I dislike or have imminent body damage or that will ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: For those debating gear reduction

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    down4glammis - NOPE I use mine a lot - I don't go to areas that I dislike or have imminent body damage or that will potentially cause damage. I don't do mud (as in MUD!) or rock crawling, but I do do 4 mph crawls, 20 mph sustained (because of terrain and twists/turns) and flat out moving along at 60+. And that is on the same trip. It is quite a mix, but that is why I bought it - for the fun of it - not just to poke along.

I stand by my tranny mix (above).

I think Yamaha went from one extreme to the other in their gears. Apparently the engineers can't comprehend a mix of terrains - they seem to only understand one or the other.

What they need is a 3-4 mph 1st and a 75 to 80 5th gear, with gears spread out to match. It isn't perfect for racing or mud bogging but that is where the specialized tranny's come into play.

MOST people want the ability to go slow and then go fast - in the same unit. Yamaha can't seem to figure that out. Now "that" tranny would be a seller. It would get away from all one way or the other, as it is right now.

Putting 30's on - another $800, no matter who's tranny I put in.

Oh yah, it also gets 5 mpg less - that's 50 miles less per fill - and that is a big number when you regularly use up a tank on a trip. Now you'll be caught out, without gas.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevozzz View Post
    I agree I can go anywhere now,,, It would bother me to no end if I couldn't go where the rzrs and can ams could go or for that matter any make or model... I bought this Yxz to shift and to ride with anyone anywhere... Too me and some of the places where I ride you may not get the chance to say cannot go there because once your there there is no turning back... Because you do not always know what is coming up around the corner... But now with this gear reduction I know I have a great chance that I will be able to handle it without burning up a clutch etc etc... You have to prepare for the poss unknown the best that you can Just saying...
    I assume you have the 70/30 Stevozzz?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What they need is a 3-4 mph 1st and a 75 to 80 5th gear, with gears spread out to match.

MOST people want the ability to go slow and then go fast - in the same unit

Well said! Of all the current options, to me, the 45/15/1 with tires under 30" seems to be the closest thing available to a good, all around gear set with minimal gap/overlap. That's where I'm leaning, and Sehorn is pulling the tranny tomorrow so I need to make up my mind ASAP!

It seems most on this thread are on 30" or bigger tires, but the YXZ was designed around the 27", and I like the acceleration of the smaller rotating mass. Most of the RZR guys I ride with are running 27" or 28" tires, and they seem fine, so I don't see that being a hindrance for where I will be riding mostly.

Slow, steep crawling has never been my thing, but when the need arises, I think the 45% first will be ok. That being said, I would like to make the clutch as bulletproof as possible. IRP? Aftermkt plates perhaps?
    scottdmax likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Are you planning on any performance upgrades? If not I would stick with the non OD 45/15 JMHO.... I love my 45/15, I can do 90! I wouldn't like the larger gap from 4-5 unless I was pulling BIG power.
    Zilla likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    JW329 is probably the coolest dude I've ever met!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JW329 View Post
    Are you planning on any performance upgrades? If not I would stick with the non OD 45/15 JMHO.... I love my 45/15, I can do 90! I wouldn't like the larger gap from 4-5 unless I was pulling BIG power.
    I'll likely keep the motor stock. But again, I'm fine with 28" tires, and I'm fine with not pushing it hard past the top of 4th gear. I just don't get many opportunities to ride in places where that's even an option.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Right now you don't go hard past 4th gear but don't forget when you drop 15% you WILL be in fifth sooner than you are now . That being said that fifth gear will still get you get 75 mph real fast so if you are in tight riding area and dont get the opportunities to open in up on top end i dont see where you would like or need the OD gear . This is just my opinion based on the gear set that i have 45-15 on 29 tires and where i ride in So. Cal deserts . I was i the same boat as you on gear choice on that OD gear and i think it was scottdmax or an other member that said unless i wanted to maintain over 90 mph i wouldn't need it . I didnt install it and i have no regrets . The 45-15 is nice there is a small jump to second then the gear spacing is perfect . To me anyway . Just my thoughts on the deal. Good luck .

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloct View Post
    I assume you have the 70/30 Stevozzz?
    Yes sir 70/30/15

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I have the 45/15 with 30 inch tires. I like it works good out in the desert pleanty of power for everthing.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocken Robin View Post
    Right now you don't go hard past 4th gear but don't forget when you drop 15% you WILL be in fifth sooner than you are now . That being said that fifth gear will still get you get 75 mph real fast so if you are in tight riding area and dont get the opportunities to open in up on top end i dont see where you would like or need the OD gear .
    Good point, Rocken Robin. My thinking is since I won't be pushing it hard over 60 or 70 mph, I might as well get the OD so I have a cruising gear to amble down the country roads at, say 50mph with the motor just purring along at 4k rpm or so. It's not about 5th gear top end.
    scottdmax likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloct View Post
    Good point, Rocken Robin. My thinking is since I won't be pushing it hard over 60 or 70 mph, I might as well get the OD so I have a cruising gear to amble down the country roads at, say 50mph with the motor just purring along at 4k rpm or so. It's not about 5th gear top end.
    My trans is coming back from Weller today & I decided to go with the 45/15/11 after talking to Kyle , he said you can drop it in 5th & just cruise at a much lower RPM which will be nice on a 90 mile loop. It's not always about top end speed for me, eventually like to add a pipe & flash which should help.
    scottdmax likes this.
    2017 YXZ 1000r SS SE Red

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links