For those debating gear reduction
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on For those debating gear reduction within the YXZ 1000R SS forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; I have a 2017 SS with an Alba heavy hitter flywheel. My first ride with this new machine was at Hatfield McCoys (rock house) with ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: For those debating gear reduction

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I have a 2017 SS with an Alba heavy hitter flywheel. My first ride with this new machine was at Hatfield McCoys (rock house) with buddies riding a 2017 Teryx and 700 Grizly.

Reading all the posts about the gear reduction kits available and clutch issues, I was skeptical and slightly worried going into this ride to say the least.

All I have to say is that this thing is an animal. It took everything I threw at it with ease! I climbed the steepest rock covered switch backs up countless mountains easily in second gear, sometimes stretching it out to third. Now my background is fast sport quad riding, priding myself that I could ride anywhere that a 4x4 could faster and airing it out over big jumps. I kept the rpm's up around 5-6k (still breaking in) and this thing had no issues at all!

I put 200 hard miles on this thing and even find that 1st gear is too low, quickly shifting into second. Now my buddies say that I am an adrenaline junky and not afraid to push through the roughest, tightest terrain but I just drove it like a sport quad and it handles awesome! I quickly got it out of that dreaded green half cluch light and spun it up.

This thing is amazing! For those debating gear reduction i say: put down your beer and spin that motor. It's not needed.

The only thing I want to monitor is the down shifts. I found that while winding out third or fourth entering a sharp bend, the bend entering down shift seemed to keep the half clutch light on a little longer then on a start out. Not sure I like that. I see the owners manual says something rediculous like 18mph for a 3rd to 2nd downshift.

It's now time for me to complete the first maintenance and check this thing out. Can't wait to get back out on the trail!

My $.02
    rsessions likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    What size tires are you running?
    If your not first, your last

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Stock 27" @ 16 psi on all four corners. I think that it is purely riding style.

I spoke to a guy at the local Hatfield McCoy car wash while washing my machine and asked him how he did in the trails. He said he has the GYTR reduction kit and its slow as hell with the stock tires. I asked why he put the reduction kit in and he said that he couldn't climb the hills even in first gear. I said, I did them all in at least 2nd with only a flywheel. He look confused.

Bottom line is that the yxz is a race machine and needs to be drive as such.
    JW329 and Dtfm33 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drperformance View Post
    put down your beer and spin that motor.
    I have said this before but 99% of the negativity towards the YXZ is due to the fact most SXS riders have a beer drinking background and not a sport background... Yamaha marketed this as a "Pure Sport" SXS and that's what it is. Its the same as if you put farmer Joe on a MX bike, he wouldn't like it. I hopped on a KDX once and hated it, thought it was slow and heavy and in my opinion worthless.
    Visionhvac1, Derek#7 and Dtfm33 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    JW329 is probably the coolest dude I've ever met!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Nice. I wouldn't do the reduction unless you go with at least 30" tires. Put 30" tires on your car and go back to the same hills and its called (clutch be smoked) 1st. gear shouldn't even be used unless you need it.I have the gear reduction 70/30 + OD 5th) with 30" tires, long travel for west coast deserts, Mountains, Utah, and it jumps out of its skin @10.5K through the gears. 86mph in 5th is plenty fast, Unless your racing BJ Baldwin or something.
    If your not first, your last

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    Even a gear reduced stock tire YXZ is going to accelerate very fast. Last time I went to Hatfield I couldn't get to 5th gear. That guy is an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Agreed!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Its the same as if you put farmer Joe on a MX bike, he wouldn't like it. I hopped on a KDX once and hated it, thought it was slow and heavy and in my opinion worthless. But I like going fast. Lol.
    JW329 and Rider414 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerjoe View Post
    Its the same as if you put farmer Joe on a MX bike, he wouldn't like it. I hopped on a KDX once and hated it, thought it was slow and heavy and in my opinion worthless. But I like going fast. Lol.
    LOL Uhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalop View Post
    JW329 is probably the coolest dude I've ever met!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Your right about down shifts. I can control the up shift green light monster, but down shifts seem to slip it longer if you are coasting. If you keep it gassed a bit, it shifts down a bit quicker. I feel my clutch will go eventually because of down shifting not up shifting. Only part of this machine that is a bit quirky. Maybe with my TW clutch basket it will still last along, long time.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links