Talon or YXZ - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Talon or YXZ

This is a discussion on Talon or YXZ within the YXZ General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; Originally Posted by scottdmax At 6’5” myself, the tight cabin and no leg room would be a deal breaker for me. What a shame Honda ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Talon or YXZ

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdmax View Post
    At 6’5” myself, the tight cabin and no leg room would be a deal breaker for me.
    What a shame Honda blew it on this.
    That's a bit harsh on poor Honda!

At 6'5" you are at the 99.559th percentile of male US men.

But, of course, for you, it's very important. At 6' 3½", it's one of the reasons I chopped a Polaris XP for a Yamaha.
    scottdmax, Moses439 and idiot like this.
    2017 YXZ 1000R SS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMac View Post
    Maybe because I live in Utah. Just in Moab alone, which you would think is mainly rock crawling, on some rides my GPS will show an average speed of less than 8mph but I commonly hit above 65mph over 10 times and I know the YXZ is pinned out to the max and that's not on the highway. The 70 percent reduction is better but it still can be dangerous if you have to stop and get pinned on vertical climb and have to roll back and try and get going. Most the time even with a turbo you run the risk it cant get going in a controlled manner and having a 1200 foot drop, say 5 feet a way from your door makes you really see the disadvantages of not having a better low range. Then drop on to the dunes on some fast stuff and you run 9000RPM constantly for 4th and 5th gear. It's extremely common to watch someone in a YXZ in a fast wash go to shift and there is no more gears. I guess with Hi/Low range the Talon is like having 12 unique gear ratios, not 6.

Please don't get me wrong, I love challenges and I'm in this for the fun factor. In fact, if YXZ did not have a manual transmission, I would not even own a side by side. I can tell you stories where not having to shift between Hi and low is amazing not to mention the advantages of a clutch. I have a blast with it. However, P.W. is asking for an opinion from YXZ owners, and if P.W. is looking for an overall machine that is diversified, then the 5 speed manual is the weak link with the YXZ because it forces people to into a narrower scope of terrain, which a 6 speed Hi/low trans would completely solve.

Another thing to think about is commonly people ask what is funnest hop up I could do to my YXZ. Even the Weller's would probably agree, it's suspension. A good handling machine puts the fun back in driving, it puts cutting seconds off of lap times. IF the Talon is a great as everyone is saying for suspension/ chassis and now a killer drivetrain, you have a lot of the expensive stuff knocked out. Engine mods for sure will be the first to come down the line this year for the Honda, but I would not hold my breath for Yamaha or Tubeworks to deliver hi/low gearbox or 6 speed tranny.

If anything, I'm saying to P.W. drive a Talon for sure and that's coming from someone that loves their YXZ because once you buy a YXZ it drops massively in value and I really think it's because the 5-speed limits the diversity for a larger market.
    Ok, you hadn't mentioned in your post that you had a 70% reduction. Makes more sense why you would want an extra gear. If I was going to Moab and the dunes with the same machine I would also look at an automatic trans machine. Reading the reviews on the Talon the trans looks like the cats meow, too bad it doesn't have a turbo. My guess is the engine mod people will have issues with the Talon trans due to the computer controlled nature. Might take a couple of years to get that sorted, I should be ready for another machine by then. In the mean time I will be adding the 19 gearing which should make it perfect for the dunes here in Oregon.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    If the cabin room is smaller in Talon than the YZX I guess it won't be for me. I already think the YXZ is limited, mainly the left leg room.
    scottdmax likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Of the UTV's that I have checked out, the YXZ has the most leg room for us tall guys. Is there another UTV that I should look at?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You would think, for the prices of these sport UTV's, someone would make the perfect machine...🤔

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I saw the reviews by sxs blog and was pretty impressed, stopped buy my local dealer and was surprised they had an R and an X . I was highly impressed with how solid this thing is and the fit and finish was impressive. And I was sadly disappointed with the lack of leg room. I'm six foot even and i was quite cramped.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    "Don't tell me what your gonna do, Tell me what you did"
    Dale Earnhardt

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Might be a joke someone posted.
    They supposedly stopped all Talon shipments.
    The welds are no good at several areas on them. The pics are comical. The robot missing the mark completely and almost no fusion of two pieces it attempted to weld together.
    Possibly a fake story.

Here is the picture. Appears the weld was a little off and missed getting the tubing at all most of the way around.

Last edited by 2019YXZSSSE; 03-26-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    488 times
    Saw a Youtube video yesterday, a shop put the Talon on the dyno and 74hp at the wheels was what they found.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    We got an R in today at work. I love the seats, but a bit less room than the YXZ. Suspension, low range, and shifting are great. Tires measure only 27" and 8500RPM redline seems SO low... It's a nice machine. I might buy my wife one if she ever wanted out of the passenger seat of our YXZ.
    DAN THE PARTS MAN
    Yamaha front and rear windshield, trail bumper, Warn 3500 winch
    GYTR harnesses and brackets, Torque Assist Gearing, Intake filters, Velocity stacks, Exhaust
    DASA Racing ECU flash
    Trail Armor, 32" AMS M1 EVILS
    2019 WHITE YXZ 1000R SS SE

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Sponsored Links