Rode with a Polaris Turbo Razor at Hidden falls.
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Rode with a Polaris Turbo Razor at Hidden falls. within the YXZ General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; In all fairness it was a 4 seater with 28 or 29 inch tires. Some observations. It is a cool machine but I noticed some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Rode with a Polaris Turbo Razor at Hidden falls.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

In all fairness it was a 4 seater with 28 or 29 inch tires. Some observations. It is a cool machine but I noticed some things about it that just didn't compete with yamaha. First, it had no top thought that was very chincy. Second, the skid plate only covered the middle section of the underbelly. Again what? why would they do that knowing what people will be trying with these things. Third, no locker ability or maybe it's always locked which is weird because when I lock mine it turns horribly. Fourth, instrument panel looked cheap as hell almost like an afterthought stuck in the middle of the dash and hard to see. Where the yxz's looks like a sportbike instrument cluster right above the wheel. .

As far as performance either he just didn't get on it much or I ride really fast. He had 172 hp I think we have 112 and the yamaha seems so much quicker and more fun. As far as technical he did good almost did everything I did with that long wheel base but skipped some of the stuff that my short wheel base could do.

I just don't get why people like polarises so much? Is it just because they have been doing it the longest. It's almost like the harley davidson of side by side very average performance for top money but people buy them anyway because it is like they are in a trance or have a cult following.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    574 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerbill View Post
    In all fairness it was a 4 seater with 28 or 29 inch tires. Some observations. It is a cool machine but I noticed some things about it that just didn't compete with yamaha. First, it had no top thought that was very chincy. Second, the skid plate only covered the middle section of the underbelly. Again what? why would they do that knowing what people will be trying with these things. Third, no locker ability or maybe it's always locked which is weird because when I lock mine it turns horribly. Fourth, instrument panel looked cheap as hell almost like an afterthought stuck in the middle of the dash and hard to see. Where the yxz's looks like a sportbike instrument cluster right above the wheel. .

As far as performance either he just didn't get on it much or I ride really fast. He had 172 hp I think we have 112 and the yamaha seems so much quicker and more fun. As far as technical he did good almost did everything I did with that long wheel base but skipped some of the stuff that my short wheel base could do.

I just don't get why people like polarises so much? Is it just because they have been doing it the longest. It's almost like the harley davidson of side by side very average performance for top money but people buy them anyway because it is like they are in a trance or have a cult following.
    It was the Harley Davidson of the SxS world, AMERICAN MADE ! That is until 2010 when they opened a plant in Mexico, thanks NAFTA. Now Harley opens a plant in Thailand, sorry bout your luck Harley, good luck with that.
    Jodawapolo13 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    the build quality of the yamaha is great. Polaris has closed the gap a lot in the last couple years but i think Yamaha is still a step above.

my 2019 yamaha didnt come with a top either

i had two turbo 4 seats (2016 and 2018) and from my super limited seat time in my yamaha the turbo will handily walk away. banking on the gytr kit to change that.
    Yamajammer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meathooker View Post
    the build quality of the yamaha is great. Polaris has closed the gap a lot in the last couple years but i think Yamaha is still a step above.

i had two turbo 4 seats (2016 and 2018) and from my super limited seat time in my yamaha the turbo will handily walk away. banking on the gytr kit to change that.
    Once you go turbo, it should walk away from the po-po! If the GYTR kit is similar in power to the RPM/Weller kit that I have, mine is putting 172+ hp to the tires, po-po hp is at the motor. Advantage turbo YXZ!!
    Yamajammer likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerbill View Post

I completely agree with you. Iíve always said that Poo Poo and Canned Ham are the Hyundai and Kia of the offroad world. They come up with some very innovative features but overall design and especially quality are lame! Ever notice all the Monday morning blooper posts of Poo Poos and Canned Hams with broken off front wheels and tacoíd rear end radius rods? Sitting in a Poo Poo feels like youíre in a utility cart. Sitting in my YXZ feels like sitting in a sports car!
    Just my opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iShift likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I swapped rides with a good friend who had a 16 XP Turbo. He had put a 3" super ATV lift kit on it but had the same 30" motoclaws that my 17 SS SE has on it. I've regeared mine with 70/30/15 but performance wise and suspension it is all stock.

My impression of his compared to mine. The XP felt like driving a jacked up truck where the YXZ felt like a sports car. The XP rode like crap and bounced all over the place and never felt planted and in control, the YXZ just sticks to the ground and floats like a cadillac even hitting small jumps and large bumps and holes. Riding over rocky trails I had to slow down in the XP but could hammer down in the YXZ. And it isn't just because I was used to my YXZ over the XP. The XP just felt bad. Granted maybe the springs/shocks were set completely wrong especially with the lift kit and increased clearance setup on his. The XP had some good power once you got it spooled up, but didn't feel like it actually would pull away from the YXZ or anything. I love the gears.

Now granted he mentioned the same things about ride quality as I did after driving mine. Obviously harder for him to get used to the YXZ with gears. I will say he traded his in on a Turbo S right after that ride. I kept trying to talk him into at least looking at a new 19 YXZ or even waiting on the Honda Talon before he made his choice, but like someone said, RZRs are like a cult following, even though he had repair issues with his and I had to tow his ass back 10+ miles once to boot!
    Yamajammer likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Straeter View Post
    I swapped rides with a good friend who had a 16 XP Turbo. He had put a 3" super ATV lift kit on it but had the same 30" motoclaws that my 17 SS SE has on it. I've regeared mine with 70/30/15 but performance wise and suspension it is all stock.

My impression of his compared to mine. The XP felt like driving a jacked up truck where the YXZ felt like a sports car. The XP rode like crap and bounced all over the place and never felt planted and in control, the YXZ just sticks to the ground and floats like a cadillac even hitting small jumps and large bumps and holes. Riding over rocky trails I had to slow down in the XP but could hammer down in the YXZ. And it isn't just because I was used to my YXZ over the XP. The XP just felt bad. Granted maybe the springs/shocks were set completely wrong especially with the lift kit and increased clearance setup on his. The XP had some good power once you got it spooled up, but didn't feel like it actually would pull away from the YXZ or anything. I love the gears.

Now granted he mentioned the same things about ride quality as I did after driving mine. Obviously harder for him to get used to the YXZ with gears. I will say he traded his in on a Turbo S right after that ride. I kept trying to talk him into at least looking at a new 19 YXZ or even waiting on the Honda Talon before he made his choice, but like someone said, RZRs are like a cult following, even though he had repair issues with his and I had to tow his ass back 10+ miles once to boot!
    Similar situation. I have a buddy who got an XP 1000 in 2015. That car was in the shop a couple times for recalls (to prevent fires) and at least 20 times for warranty repairs since heís had it. He canít wait for the next RZR to come out! I donít get it. I donít think would buy another Polaris product. Think about this.......would you buy a Polaris or Can Am dirtbike if they existed? Hell no! Or how bout that 3 wheel spyder thing. That thing looks like a bat mobile for rap artists. Lol.
    I rode in an XP 4 seater in Baja a few months back. Felt like we were driving on marbles. Didnít feel planted at all! Iím sure his suspension wasnít dialed in at all. Said he was afraid to mess with that big knob. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I ride nothing but sand, as do all my friends. I have to say the X3 and the turbo S my friends own, hands down have much better suspension across the whoops than my SS SE. My wife was extremely impressed with the X3. Anyone who rides the whoop roads around Riley Ranch Oregon knows what I'm talking about lol. Soon as my car gets back from the shop, I'm going to install the fireball long travel setup. It'll be interesting to see the difference long travel will make across them.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    I ride mostly sand also, and the whooped out roads on outskirts of Glamis are not the best in the YXZ. But, the YXZ tares it up in the dunes!! If all you ride is whoops, then maybe the po-po or canned ham is for you. If you want sports car handling and a real shifter trans, then the YXZ is the better choice!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    574 times
    Quote Originally Posted by meathooker View Post

I have to disagree with "great build quality and finish" of the Yamaha. Most of the welds are really pretty pathetic, and they defiantly know this because the YXZ has no less than two maybe three welders build out a complete chassis. Notice any critical weld point, always a descent weld and penetration, even on out of position hard to get at welds, but then a easy weld out in the open and flat they have it all humped up looking like a dead nightcrawler and weld splatter all over the tubes. A old saying use to be "if you don't learn to be a good welder then you will learn to be a good grinder". My biggest gripe is all the splatter that is just powder coated over, this is a really simple fix, 90% of this could be knocked off with just a scraper. And a nasty looking weld, just profile it a bit with a sanding disc set-up, before powder coat.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my YXZ for any other SxS on the market today. It's common knowledge that the Jap engineering has been head and shoulders above and ahead U.S.A. ever since the U.S. rebuilt Japan with the latest and greatest in the late 50's and early 60's and have been playing catch-up ever since, ever see a Chevette run to 250 K .

I think the YXZ is the best looking SxS out there by far and dependability and performance is great. The YXZ's triple engine is like no other as far as what kind of HP it is capable of making, but overall finish is lacking a bit IMO.
    50BMG1947 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links