Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Flagstaff Cinder Hills OHV

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Raptoraddict 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have about 800 miles on my General Grabber ATX's and really like them so far on the forest service roads, but I hadn't really had the opportunity to try them climbing the local cinder hills. Now, I will tell you that I was ready to be disappointed, as these 27X8.5X14 light truck tires have a pretty narrow contact patch and I run them at 20 psi because I don't have bead lock wheels. But, what the heck, I shifted into 4WD Lock and headed out into the cinders. Now, I was not breaking any time trials getting to the top, but the point is, I made it with relative ease. 1st gear at 4,000 - 5,000 rpms on the steep parts and there was no stopping this rig, it just walked right up the cinder cone. No one else was in the entire OHV area as far as I could tell. It was in the mid 50's today and the perfect temp to be out riding. I noticed that Schultz Pass Road is now gated, probably for the winter.

I have a brother coming out from Maine (where there is less than 2% public land) and intend to take him up to the top of this cinder cone next week. He just won't believe how this thing turns into a little tractor in 4WD Lock.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Off-road racing

A picture perfect angle of Sunset Crater....

All-terrain vehicle Mountainous landforms Mountain Vehicle Sky

Not that much snow up here right now, but what a view....

See less See more
#4 ·
It is, but we are getting snow right now, up to 7 inches, so the OHV area might be closed soon. PM me if you are coming up this way and I'll cruise out and see if it is still open for you.

#6 ·
My brother Dave loved it, just like I thought he would. He went on and on about the power, handling and climbing ability of my YXZ. Yes, I let him drive it for a while...lol.
Like I said, there is nothing in Maine that compares to Arizona's public lands....
Vehicle Ecoregion Landscape Car Road

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.