Overheated
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Overheated

This is a discussion on Overheated within the YXZ Engine forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Technical category; So I have a 16 YXZ the radiator got plugged up and I overheated quite badly/blew out a lot of coolant. I limped it to ...

Thread: Overheated

Member #
    Member #

Overheated

So I have a 16 YXZ the radiator got plugged up and I overheated quite badly/blew out a lot of coolant. I limped it to the nearest creek washed it out the best that I could and added water and the coolant/temp light never came back on so I kept driving it. But im guessing I had a steam bubble over the temp sensor as the light never came back on so it melted the crank plug, the ignition coils, and dipstick. Has anyone been inside a engine that has been this hot is there anything I should specifically look for. I am assuming the worst but didn't know if anyone had experience with anything like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I wired up a fan override switch and that helped. Is the front of the radiator caked with mud or anything?

Member #
    Member #
    Yes the radiator was extremely plugged so i limped it to the nearest creek and washed it out the best that i could and the coolant light never came back on so i went against my gut and kept driving it. I shut it off when it melted the crank plug and it splashed oil on the exhaust and made it smoke and towed it back to the trailer. That night i started looking at it and pulled a ignition coil out it was melted and noticed my oil dipstick was also melted. So i guess my question is has anyone severely overheated thier motor and if so what should i be on the lookout for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overheated-20190316_155102_1557793952096.jpg   Overheated-20190318_152853_1557794042564.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    I will be amazed if you don't have substantial damage to the engine. I would imagine one of the first casualties to consider will be a cracked head, blown head gasket, stuck piston skirt and even a cracked block. I really don't know how well this engine handles extreme heat, maybe you'll be lucky and their like the old 318 MOPAR engines.

Member #
    Member #
    So then assuming the worst does anyone know the best and/or cheapest way to rebuild the motor. Are there any rebuild kits out there or am i gonna have to make my own or should i just hunt around for a used motor or should i part it out and buy a new yxz

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Member #
    Member #
    That one sold

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    I think it may be worth a try to get the parts needed to try and fire your motor that got hot, maybe you'll get lucky and this motor will take a severe heat spike. Did the motor quit or did you shut it down?

If you have severe problems and it won't start, I guess you'll need to disassemble the motor to determine if it's rebuildable and what parts you need for a rebuild and if it would be cost efficient to rebuild it. A salvage motor with low mileage will run you around three grand.

Member #
    Member #
    I shut it off and towed it back to the trailer so i think it just heatsinked and spiked after i shut it off but im sure it got hot before that. Yea the motors that ive seen are around 3 grand and i tweaked the frame on it about 6 months ago so i dont know how much money i want to put in the motor if the frame is already bent. I have some new ignition coils coming so in a week i will try to see if it will start/run and go from there.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Referring to iceman post #1:
    We should all be watching our gauges better to prevent many thousands of wasted $.
    My brand new 2017 heated up a little at only 400 miles on it. So I was looking around for the reason and noticed coolant bottle empty. To make a VERY long story short, it ended up being a bad motor. Yamaha called it "metal porousity".
    Coolant was going into the oil because of poros metal casting. If I had not been watching my guages, they would have just blamed me and said I just overheated it.
    They ended up putting a complete new engine in it at 500 miles on it.
    A freak thing I'm sure. I have not heard of another like this.
    So... People... WATCH YOUR GAUGES!!

Sponsored Links