Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

2019 SS SE (Ultra White) - X2 Shock Settings ... HELP!

18K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  z28roc 
#1 ·
Hi - brand new member here ... first post!

I'm picking up a 2019 SS SE (Ultra White) with the Fox X2 shocks and looking for some 'settings' advise. I live in Appleton, WI so will mainly be riding trails - also any 'layman's' explanation of what all the settings do would be a HUGE help ... Thanks in advance!

Front:

HSR =
LSR =

HSC =
LSC =

Rear:

HSR =
LSR =

HSC =
LSC =

#2 ·
You are going to get a lot of different answers.
Endless variables.
Dune riding. Slow rock climbing. Fast fire roads.
Weight - some carry spare tires, etc. Some are running bigger and heavier tires.
Some charge through stuff and ...

I wrote my current settings down with stock tires and 2 people.
And I will bring those home with me next weekend.

Setting your sag and cross-over distance is step one.
The car should sag about 25-30% of the travel fully loaded.

But I would drive the car a bit, get the springs settled and suspension worn in.

#5 ·
I run slower and wanted more compliant than stock. I have backed everyting off a bunch and disconnected sway bars. It is more flexible, has more body roll but is very compliant on trails. If you flat track around and drift corners you might not like the sway bars disconnected.

It is certainly worth some experimenting. Off-roading Sand All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Off-road vehicle

#9 ·
I have a 19 SS SE. Here's what I am running, I have only had one serious trip and I tuned the whole trip and I am running dunes so it will be different. I would suggest you start tuning asap and you will figure out what works for your terrain.
Front HC 2.25, Rear HC 2.5
Front LC 2, Rear LC 2
Front HR 2 1/8, Rear 1 3/4
Front LR 2, Rear LR 2
Start off soft, set your preload where you want it for your ride height, set as low as possible ride height, Write down your existing settings and start tuning, making notes on each adjustment. Good luck!

Reactions: Hub67
#11 ·
Look at pages 4-33 through 4-55 in the 2019 owner’s manual. This will tell you the recommended settings for the x2 shocks (with the revised spring rates) and then you can tune them from there. Make sure you look at the YXZ10YESK (LE model) settings. The link to the owner’s manual online is below. I am picking up a 2019 ultra white this weekend and I am going to setup the shocks based on these settings. Question for you guys. When adjusting preload and crossover does the machine need to be jacked up off the ground or do you do these adjustments with the tires on the ground? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don’t want to do it wrong. Thanks!

https://dd5394a0b8ca8e97ba29-abf76f.../LIT-11626-32-27_5be320a52a0ab64160529bb3.pdf

If the link above doesn't work then use this link and select side-by-side, 2019, YXZ1000 SS SE and it will bring up the owner's manual. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals

#13 ·
I'm the type that reads the manual cover-to-cover ... but appreciate more those who done it in the field. I reached out to Fox and they directed me to their site. I asked the question with the new softer springs in the 2019 if the settings wouldn't be different ... he said they's be close. Not exactly the answer I was looking for but at least a good place to start. I'm sure as more 2019's roll out we'll be seeing some real world numbers to try. Since most of my riding will be on the trails in Wisconsin - I'm leaning towards the 'comfort' settings. My dealer is setting the sag for me - he's a top rated YXZ racer named Rodney VanEperen and owns PowerSports 1 in Appleton, WI where I live. Steve Sheldon took great care of me during the sale ... they are good people!

I'm picking my 2019 Ultra White SS SE Thursday! They are putting the harnesses and window nets in ... can't wait to rip it!

#12 ·
I'm sure everyone has a different way of setting up their car.
But I set mine up with 4 3/4 of sag (28% of 17 inches)
Get the car on a flat surface.
Floor jack the car up in the center on each end and make a mark on the center of the car. Then measure it to the ground.
Then fuel it up, throw the ice chest in, get your wife and you in and measure the same point.
That's when you want the 4 3/4" of sag.

Now I know the manual says to measure the threaded distance, but that is not how I do it.
You may weigh 60 pounds more and carry a huge ice chest, spare tire and rack, etc.
Race cars, dirt bikes, etc use this method.

The cross over is not real critical. More distance of travel on the short spring gives you a softer initial spring rate.
The adjusters can fine tune it, but sag is critical.
I've read that turning adjusters from all in to all out will only change the shock valving 10-20%.
These will help if you get bigger tires and more mass on the corners.
My settings are at the desert and I'll bring them home with me.

Those are my thoughts, but there are some great members here and they can help as well.

#14 ·
OK - put a few miles on (some empty lots in our neighborhood) and I'm absolutely blown away by this machine! The only UTV I've ever previously driven was 2013 Razor 900 rental in Las Vegas - and that thing shocked me with what it would do. I tried to compare in my mind how these two machines differ (10" travel -vs- 17" on the Z) to prepare myself for driving the YXZ - not even close! Nothing prepared me for the fun this machine is. I've had street - dirt bikes - snowmobiles my whole life ... this is the BEST!

Keep in mind - I'm trying to break it in 'properly' so I don't think I went much over 6k RPM's - but this thing is as smooth as butter. What's scary is the faster I went over the bumps the better it felt! Hopefully the weather cooperates here in Wisconsin and I can get to some trails this weekend.

#17 ·
I had the chance to try the comfort settings in the "Recommended Shock" settings picture - definitely felt better but I feel like the front could be a little 'softer' for our Wisconsin trails. So if I decrease (turn out) the LSR & HSR to closer match the compression will this help?

HSR: 2 turns out.
LSR: 1 turn out.
HSC: 3.5 turns out.
LSC: 4 turns out.

On a side note ... this thing is a beast! I rode this weekend with a couple of RZR's - (a 1000 and a 1000 Turbo) and they couldn't keep up! I literally had to keep slowing down so they could catch up ... lol. What's funny is I'm still breaking my machine in so I was trying to keep it under 7K RPM's ... and I was driving at about a 6/10's pace. We also had a 17' YXZ SS with us ... his machine seemed to be getting thrown around a lot more than mine (2019') with the X2 shocks. Glad I held out for the 2019 ... the shocks definitely are a plus+++

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.