Custom turbo build ...2.0 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Custom turbo build ...2.0

This is a discussion on Custom turbo build ...2.0 within the YXZ Forced Induction forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Technical category; Originally Posted by Scott12d On my first build (stock bottom) 6.5psi I did all my tuning with the pcv pti on a stock ecu flash. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Custom turbo build ...2.0

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18604
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    148
    Member #
    18604
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott12d View Post
    On my first build (stock bottom) 6.5psi I did all my tuning with the pcv pti on a stock ecu flash. This time I will be using the pcv again but will use flash tune to be safe and pull some timing for high boost.
    I'm doing the same. I'll be doing 1st start-up here this next week. Break-in boost will be around 9psi, then will slowly ramp up to 17ish from there.

    I assume you are tuning by boost. What do your target AFR and initial fuel tables look like?

    Here are mine; (I'll be running my PCV calibrated for relative pressure based on whatever elevation the riding area I'm currently at, so boost table represents true boost PSI).


    Custom turbo build ...2.0-initial-afr-target-4-19-psi.png

    Custom turbo build ...2.0-base-fuel-map-4-19psi.png

  2. #12
    Junior Member Scott12d's Avatar
    Member #
    5402
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North West but still too far from the sand
    Posts
    15
    Member #
    5402
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTrickster86 View Post
    I'm doing the same. I'll be doing 1st start-up here this next week. Break-in boost will be around 9psi, then will slowly ramp up to 17ish from there.

    I assume you are tuning by boost. What do your target AFR and initial fuel tables look like?

    Here are mine; (I'll be running my PCV calibrated for relative pressure based on whatever elevation the riding area I'm currently at, so boost table represents true boost PSI).


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial AFR Target -4 to 19 psi.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	112622

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Fuel Map -4 to 19psi.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	112624
    I'll do my best to post some pics of my fueling tables from last build this evening(wife has the laptop with here right now). I can tell you right now though that it was eating quite a bit more fuel than that. That was stock injectors,pump, regulator, and ecu flash. I would reccomend not running autotune in the areas where your idle air control valve kicks in. 0% throttle and around 2k rpm if I remember.

    I would suggest getting the dynojet pod so you can data log.

    What is your fueling setup: injectors, pump?
    What are you doing for timing?

  3. #13
    Junior Member Scott12d's Avatar
    Member #
    5402
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North West but still too far from the sand
    Posts
    15
    Member #
    5402
    Liked
    3 times
    Even though the numbers seem to jump remember that they are going against the ecu s fueling. Ran smooth on/off throttle through the rpm and cruzing.

    As you are building your fuel table be sure to never leave a high trim number sitting, make sure you accept those trims. Autotune does not correct instantaneously, there is a bit of delay before it adjusts to your targeted afr. So as you are building your fuel map keep it updated with trims to protect your motor.

    One fuel map is on my 1000r and the other is on a ss.

    Also worth noting with a pcv pti setup I ran my map sensor on the plenum side (down stream of the throttle bodies). I did give dynojet the benefit of the doubt and attempted tuning upstream of the blades but this is only good for open throttle and boost over 2psi ish. I hated it and wanted to be able dial it in even under vacuum and or 0 psi. Being on the plenum side on/off throttle can be dialed in nice and smooth with no hiccups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom turbo build ...2.0-20190325_200030_1553569381378.jpg   Custom turbo build ...2.0-20190325_195929_1553570776329.jpg   Custom turbo build ...2.0-20190325_195732_1553570900317.jpg  

  4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18604
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    148
    Member #
    18604
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott12d View Post
    Even though the numbers seem to jump remember that they are going against the ecu s fueling. Ran smooth on/off throttle through the rpm and cruzing.

    As you are building your fuel table be sure to never leave a high trim number sitting, make sure you accept those trims. Autotune does not correct instantaneously, there is a bit of delay before it adjusts to your targeted afr. So as you are building your fuel map keep it updated with trims to protect your motor.

    One fuel map is on my 1000r and the other is on a ss.

    Also worth noting with a pcv pti setup I ran my map sensor on the plenum side (down stream of the throttle bodies). I did give dynojet the benefit of the doubt and attempted tuning upstream of the blades but this is only good for open throttle and boost over 2psi ish. I hated it and wanted to be able dial it in even under vacuum and or 0 psi. Being on the plenum side on/off throttle can be dialed in nice and smooth with no hiccups.
    I tuned extensively with the PC5 when I was running a Packard S/C and am very comfortable with it. I run it on a push button switch and build my map by doing dyno style runs, as well as constant throttle runs at various throttle/boost/load levels. I do the same as you as far as throwing out junk high trim numbers when accepting trims.

    This will be my first foray with tuning by boost instead of by throttle position, but again, I feel solid with it. The map I provided above just represents a starting point, as I haven't even done 1st start-up yet, and I figure it's much safer than starting with a zero'd out map, especially in the boost. I've got a Push Turbo kit, so my map sensor bolts directly into the exit of the intercooler water-box and just before the plenum. I also swapped to a POD300 with my build from the separate gauges I ran previously, and am excited to have everything consolidated into one gauge that also provides data-logging when desired.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18604
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    148
    Member #
    18604
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott12d View Post
    I'll do my best to post some pics of my fueling tables from last build this evening(wife has the laptop with here right now). I can tell you right now though that it was eating quite a bit more fuel than that. That was stock injectors,pump, regulator, and ecu flash. I would reccomend not running autotune in the areas where your idle air control valve kicks in. 0% throttle and around 2k rpm if I remember.

    I would suggest getting the dynojet pod so you can data log.

    What is your fueling setup: injectors, pump?
    What are you doing for timing?
    550cc injectors, stock pump, timing altered by Ken @ Push, along with fan temp and rev-limiter, with fueling alterations all done with my PC5

    Fuel will be AV 100LL @ 16-17psi. Eventually I'll build a 2nd map built for pump gas at 11psi max so I can jump down to that if I find myself short on 100LL during a trip.
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 03-25-2019 at 10:29 PM.

  7. #16
    Junior Member Scott12d's Avatar
    Member #
    5402
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North West but still too far from the sand
    Posts
    15
    Member #
    5402
    Liked
    3 times
    Not much progress as of late was called away for business. Spent some time reviewing the stock ignition table and some related research. Looks like over 50% throttle Timing is quite conservative is only at 35*
    Curious to know how much timing others have pulled for 20psi range race with race gas on 9.5:1?

    under the 50% throttle range is a bit different i will be doing alot of data logging to see when this new turbo spools to keep those high timing number away from any boost.

  8. #17
    Junior Member Scott12d's Avatar
    Member #
    5402
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North West but still too far from the sand
    Posts
    15
    Member #
    5402
    Liked
    3 times
    looking over the yamaha sidewinder map for ignition which is 11:1 comp on pump and 13 psi factory they are mapped for roughly 26* this may be a good starting point.

  9. #18
    Junior Member Scott12d's Avatar
    Member #
    5402
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North West but still too far from the sand
    Posts
    15
    Member #
    5402
    Liked
    3 times
    Got the engine pulled and torn down. Only about 5hr process. Happy to see that everything inside still looks brand new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom turbo build ...2.0-screenshot_20190422-083355_1555947290620.png  

  10. #19
    Member
    Member #
    14289
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    43
    Member #
    14289
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice progress is progress. Keep the updates coming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Custom PRP Seats 9 days to build and took me 15 Minutes to install
    By dumontsand in forum YXZ Roll cages, Seats and Belts
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
  2. Custom Overhead Radio Build
    By jbiter18 in forum YXZ Lighting, Stereo and Electrical
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2016, 01:27 PM
  3. Sean's Long Travel Turbo YXZ Build Photos
    By UTV INC in forum UTV Inc
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 10:01 PM
  4. New Turbo Shop Build
    By Ghettosled in forum Race Proven Motors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 08:36 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2016, 11:33 PM