Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in.
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in.

This is a discussion on Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in. within the YXZ Forced Induction forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Technical category; what would be the proper method to install a boost gauge? I've never installed one before. Hell, I don't even know what they come with. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in.

Member #
    Member #

what would be the proper method to install a boost gauge? I've never installed one before. Hell, I don't even know what they come with. As I haven't even seen one before, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

What would be a good boost gauge? E.g. the brand..? I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a gauge though!

Where do I install it? Do I tap into the boost line between the actuator and intake manifold? I would "assume" that I need to get a T-fitting there and cut the boost line between the actuator on the turbo and the intake manifold... but I'm only guessing there..

thanks guys!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have the same plans, Im waiting on the GYTR kit to ship next month. And im getting what little things i can get done in the meantime. My boost and AFR gauge will be here Tuesday. Anyway you can hook up your boost gauge just like your saying and you should be good to go. Your wastegate boost reference is gonna come from your vacuum lines on your throttle bodies (I'm assuming I dont have the kit yet but this is how every turbo kit ive installed is) that is where I like to put in all my tees wastegate, boost, boost controller, ect. Tends to make for a more accurate boost reference.

For a boost gauge I would stay away from mechanical and go with electronic, I dont like running my boost reference that far, its to easy for the line to get smashed and get a bad reading. Id go with a electronic one.

here would be a good option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-52MM-DI...YAAOSwnDJbMx5H

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I'm following your guys info as I plan on doing the GYTR turbo kit in a few months. Is Yamaha that far behind on the kits? You mentioned yours was shipping next month. I looked at your boost gauge but wouldn't you want a gauge with more detail in the 6-15 range? I think that's where most of us want to be running, looks harder to see on that 30-0-35 gauge.
    2019 YXZ SS SE, 2007 Redline Revolt with Yamaha Nitro Motor, KTM300XC, Specialized Kenevo, those are my toys.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Wastegate actually comes from the intake manifold. There's a nipple on there for the boost pressure hose that will go directly to the actuator.

As far as an air fuel... The GYTR kit does NOT come with a bung.. So I would assume I'm welding and drilling something on there... Is there a downpipe anyone sells specifically for the GYTR turbo kit that's ready for an 02 sensor?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    That makes sense, I would still tie the boost gauge into the vacuum lines, that way you will get both boost/vacuum reading not just boost.

If you get a AFR it will come with a bung, but they usually come with a mild steel bung so I ordered a Stainless bung to weld into my downpipe. When you buy an AFR one make sure its a wideband.

The boost gauge I recommended displays the actual boost reading as a number in the center of the gauge. Autometer has alot more options for needle gauges in different boost ranges but they are over $200 for an electronic one. Plus the GYTR kit is can run quite a bit more boost so the gauge has room to grow as you run more boost.

Dealer told me the turbo kits for the 2019 YXZ's are on backorder till june 14.
    Last edited by LandoMoto; 05-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Damn. Ya i got lucky. They had one left in stock. It was relatively easy to install. Couple things to be careful for when installing. But not terrible.

So the vacuum lines on the throttle body.. is there a diagram anywhere on them? Im trying to remember which one was the vacuum off the top of my head.. nothings coming to mind. Id have to go look at it now..

Anyone know the proper location for the 02 sensor? I know you want to avoid being to close to the turbo side, but im not really sure if theres a science behind it or not..

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The farther away from the turbo you mount the wideband bung the more oxygen will been in your exhaust, and the less accurate your AFR will be (it will show leaner then what your are). I mount mine within 6 inches of the turbo usually closer. And it seems like the instructions always show the bung in the top 1/3 of the downpipe, they dont want it comin in from the bottom for some reason.

Number 2 in the diagram are the vacuum lines.

Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in.-screenshot-30-.png

Need advise to installing a boost gauge on a GYTR system. Also, Air fuel tap in.-screenshot-31-.png
    Last edited by LandoMoto; 05-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks Lando. Good info. Would you mind posting a link for a stainless afr and sensor? Im curious about what you mightve been looking at here. I like the gauge you linked. Will be getting one when $$ allows.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Worth noting that Weller Racing sells the AEM AFR and boost gauge in case you wanna support a site sponsor but the ebay links ive sent your are the lowest prices ive found.

Stainless bung

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-OXYGEN-S...72.m2749.l2649

AFR wideband gauge

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-Electro...wAAOSwKF1cecWz

This is the route Im going with my Z its both a AFR, Boost, and Boost controller all in one gauge that way I can keep my dash simple and I can data log with nothing more needed other then a laptop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-Mo...cAAOSwDk5Tws1P

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by figuare9 View Post
    Thanks Lando. Good info. Would you mind posting a link for a stainless afr and sensor? Im curious about what you mightve been looking at here. I like the gauge you linked. Will be getting one when $$ allows.
    Just a FWIW, the S.S. bung would be fine to weld in the pipe since most exhausts are S.S. but the sensor fitting would be better if it was brass or mild steel. Stainless to stainless fittings tend to guald or almost weld themselves together and heat makes it much worse, because anti-seize will burn out. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links