2019 Sand Tire Size
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

2019 Sand Tire Size

This is a discussion on 2019 Sand Tire Size within the YXZ Wheels and Tires forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Technical category; New member and YXZ owner. Looking for recommendations for sand tire size for a stock 2019. With the different gear ratio I am curious what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2019 Sand Tire Size

  1. #1
    Junior Member PoisonFraction's Avatar
    Member #
    19626
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    19626
    Liked
    2 times

    2019 Sand Tire Size

    New member and YXZ owner. Looking for recommendations for sand tire size for a stock 2019. With the different gear ratio I am curious what people are running. I went last weekend to Little Sahara, Utah and it really struggled to turn the 29" big horns. Air pressure could have been a factor since they were aired to 14PSI and it was digging into the sand. I am going to turbo the machine as soon as the GYTR turbo kits are available (seems to be a back order issue going on right now). Would airing down the big horns make a big enough difference to keep me happy until I turbo it and buy tires to match? The other option is looking for a set of used/cheap sand tires to use for the next few months. I have found some used 27" EFX's or 28" GMZ's. Thoughts?

    Thanks
    2019 WHITE YXZ 1000R SS SE

  2. #2
    Junior Member getsendy's Avatar
    Member #
    19548
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    24
    Member #
    19548
    Liked
    11 times
    I purchased paddles from Fullerton Sand Sports. They are extremely knowledgeable and have set up many YXZs. I settled on the 30" FSS Skats because they are lighter weight and they told me they perfom the best on the YXZ. I am planning on going turbo soon and I was really hung up on going with a bigger diameter tire but they convinced me these would be the best performance. I also was convinced I wanted a tire with more grip on the front for helping in 4x4 when needed. I am extremely pleased I went with their suggestion. I did run the big horns on the dunes and the car did get around ok (ran them at 9 or 10 psi) but the car is night and day different with these paddles. It gets going immediately and stays on top of the sand way better. High speed slides are very predictable and they don't feel like they will hook and put you on the roof. The front tires track super good and make great traction if needed. I also went with their bead lock wheels and gained another 6 inches of width stock. 2019 Sand Tire Size-img_7991.jpeg2019 Sand Tire Size-img_7993.jpeg2019 Sand Tire Size-img_7996.jpeg
    Rider414 likes this.
    2019 YXZ SS SE, 2007 Redline Revolt with Yamaha Nitro Motor, KTM300XC, Specialized Kenevo, those are my toys.

  3. #3
    Senior Member iShift's Avatar
    Member #
    8930
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    389
    Member #
    8930
    Liked
    171 times

    2019 Sand Tire Size

    The ruff buff fronts from FSS work really well also! For having no tread or any kind of razor edge, they work well and don’t fling sand up when turning I run these with a matched roll out set of STU #2 comp cut rears and they work awesome!!
    Last edited by iShift; 04-08-2019 at 07:55 PM.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member PoisonFraction's Avatar
    Member #
    19626
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    19626
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by getsendy View Post
    I purchased paddles from Fullerton Sand Sports. They are extremely knowledgeable and have set up many YXZs. I settled on the 30" FSS Skats because they are lighter weight and they told me they perfom the best on the YXZ. I am planning on going turbo soon and I was really hung up on going with a bigger diameter tire but they convinced me these would be the best performance. I also was convinced I wanted a tire with more grip on the front for helping in 4x4 when needed. I am extremely pleased I went with their suggestion. I did run the big horns on the dunes and the car did get around ok (ran them at 9 or 10 psi) but the car is night and day different with these paddles. It gets going immediately and stays on top of the sand way better. High speed slides are very predictable and they don't feel like they will hook and put you on the roof. The front tires track super good and make great traction if needed. I also went with their bead lock wheels and gained another 6 inches of width stock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7991.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	112800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7993.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	112802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7996.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	112804
    Thanks for your post and pictures! I am a little surprised that they recommended a 30" tire after reading older sand tire posts. Seems like a lot of the earlier machines are running 26-28" tires. I know the gearing has changed in the 2019's. I will have to talk to FSS and see what are my best options.
    2019 WHITE YXZ 1000R SS SE

  6. #5
    Junior Member getsendy's Avatar
    Member #
    19548
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    24
    Member #
    19548
    Liked
    11 times
    From what I learned, bigger is better to a point. There is a balance between bigger being an advantage getting out of the hole and staying on top of the dunes to being too big and lowering your gearing and being too heavy. Heavy tires rob power and break things. These tires are super light and I really wanted to go to 31s as I am adding a long travel kit tomorrow. But they talked me into these and I love them. They are definitely not too big for the gearing thats for sure. It doesn't lug anywhere and I use 5th gear regularly.
    2019 YXZ SS SE, 2007 Redline Revolt with Yamaha Nitro Motor, KTM300XC, Specialized Kenevo, those are my toys.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Member #
    19536
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    19536
    Quote Originally Posted by getsendy View Post
    From what I learned, bigger is better to a point. There is a balance between bigger being an advantage getting out of the hole and staying on top of the dunes to being too big and lowering your gearing and being too heavy. Heavy tires rob power and break things. These tires are super light and I really wanted to go to 31s as I am adding a long travel kit tomorrow. But they talked me into these and I love them. They are definitely not too big for the gearing thats for sure. It doesn't lug anywhere and I use 5th gear regularly.
    Would you mind posting the wheel brand and sizes as well as the exact tire sizes please? I'm a newbee and looking to outfit the same YXZ you have. Thanks.

  8. #7
    Junior Member PoisonFraction's Avatar
    Member #
    19626
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    19626
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingYXZ View Post
    Would you mind posting the wheel brand and sizes as well as the exact tire sizes please? I'm a newbee and looking to outfit the same YXZ you have. Thanks.
    If you read his first post it has the tire size and brand. I called FSS and they recommend the same tires which came as no surprise. This is a tire they build. They list it as 30" but it is actually a 29" tire. FSS is making and selling there own brand so its a bit hard to get a non-biased opinion when asking them about other brands. I am considering FSS skats or 28" STU blasters. I think the STU tires will be a bit more durable but they are heavier. With the STU tires you have to also decide on paddle size. I will probably over think this like I do with most things.
    2019 WHITE YXZ 1000R SS SE

  9. #8
    Junior Member getsendy's Avatar
    Member #
    19548
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    24
    Member #
    19548
    Liked
    11 times
    Yes you are right that is a tire that they build. But FSS is a very reputable business and they are not just in it for the money. On my order the wheel manufacturer made an error and FSS ended up overnight shipping my entire order to me for no extra charge. Overnight on paddle tires I'm sure ate in to some of their profits. That's the kind of business they are.
    I cannot give you a comparison to the STU tires, but I can tell you I considered both and I am very happy with my purchase. I have these FSS on another very high performance buggy and they have held up incredible. Either way I'm sure you will be happy. Come out to the Oregon dunes this weekend and drive mine!
    2019 YXZ SS SE, 2007 Redline Revolt with Yamaha Nitro Motor, KTM300XC, Specialized Kenevo, those are my toys.

  10. #9
    Junior Member PoisonFraction's Avatar
    Member #
    19626
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    19626
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by getsendy View Post
    Yes you are right that is a tire that they build. But FSS is a very reputable business and they are not just in it for the money. On my order the wheel manufacturer made an error and FSS ended up overnight shipping my entire order to me for no extra charge. Overnight on paddle tires I'm sure ate in to some of their profits. That's the kind of business they are.
    I cannot give you a comparison to the STU tires, but I can tell you I considered both and I am very happy with my purchase. I have these FSS on another very high performance buggy and they have held up incredible. Either way I'm sure you will be happy. Come out to the Oregon dunes this weekend and drive mine!
    FSS should give you a commission when I order my tires today! I would love to go to the Oregon dunes some day. I am curious how the sand is compared to little Sahara UT. The sand here is typically very dry and its hard to stay on top in the spring and summer months. If you over paddle or go to large of tire it really affects performance. Little Sahara is also at 5000ft. It is my assumption that the sand would be wetter in Oregon and at sea level HP is going to be better. Those are my worries with a 29 to 30" tire. I will probably order wheels and tires from FSS. The STU 28" from my understanding measure 30" where as the FSS 30" measure 29". What LT kit are you doing? I have an HCR kit on my Teryx 4 and love it.
    2019 WHITE YXZ 1000R SS SE

  11. #10
    Junior Member getsendy's Avatar
    Member #
    19548
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    24
    Member #
    19548
    Liked
    11 times
    Glad you are getting it figured out with FSS, they treated me well. I'm sure oregon dunes sand is quite different. We mostly dune from fall thru winter to spring and not too much in the summer, it gets pretty busy there. Most of our riding there is some moisture in the sand and lots of traction. My other car, a redline revolt with the Yamaha Nitro motor in it, will lift the front wheels on a full throttle hook up with damp sand. I am doing the fireball LT kit which I'm really excited about but I have the car half apart and the axles were supposed to show tomorrow and they found out they shipped the wrong ones. So not sure what I'm doing for this trip yet but I'm impressed by the quality and fit of the kit. I purchased their heavy duty steering kit too. Trying to get back some of the ride I lost going from my Wildcat X to the YXZ. Trying to make mama happy again with the ride. We will see. Once I get the suspension dialed I plan to do the GYTR turbo kit. One thing at a time.
    2019 YXZ SS SE, 2007 Redline Revolt with Yamaha Nitro Motor, KTM300XC, Specialized Kenevo, those are my toys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Front to rear size difference on sand tires?
    By racerlee in forum YXZ Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2019, 01:13 PM
  2. Sand Tire Question for NA Yxz1000r/Sand tire poll
    By G4OFFROAD in forum YXZ Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 05:57 AM
  3. Tire size/Rim size
    By georanger99 in forum YXZ Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM
  4. True tire size?
    By Pepper689 in forum YXZ Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2015, 10:39 AM