"Just A Little More" build
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on "Just A Little More" build within the YXZ Builds forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a build thread for quite some time now, but always figured what I was doing with my Z ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: "Just A Little More" build

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a build thread for quite some time now, but always figured what I was doing with my Z was no different from many others and would seem quite mundane. The thing about this project is that I keep thinking “I’ll stop once I get that one additional thing done,” but it just hasn’t worked out that way. Additionally, with the plans I have going forward, I’ll have material to add to this thread for quite some time.

The crazy thing is that I originally thought I would be completely satisfied with a stock Z and some paddles… Maybe eventually a few little add-ons to make it more user friendly and a little quicker… That pretty much turned into an instant cost-be-damned spending spree from the day I bought it. My long-suffering wife has watched in horror as I’ve become accustomed to expecting multiple packages on the porch each day containing parts for our “toy” that we utilize once a month at most. At some level I must enjoy the constant grind with this thing, as I seem to tear it apart the second we get home from a dune trip to start another upgrade on it. So with that in mind, I finally decided that maybe it’s worth documenting.

Before I get into the future plans, I figured I’d get everyone up to speed on how I got here with some pictures mixed in:

We had a RZR XP 900 for a couple years that was very good to us. I’ve always been a rider/driver that feels like he can keep up with just about any-one in any machinery, so as our riding group all got faster machines, our poor little 900 just got driven into and over things harder and harder to keep up. Through all the abuse, it only ever needed routine maintenance and of course numerous belts.

"Just A Little More" build-img_0598.png

I’ve never liked automatics: All of my vehicles are manual trans, even my diesel pickup. That said, we ended up with the RZR because my wife much prefers the simplicity of auto trans vehicles and I wanted a machine she could have fun in the dunes with and tag along when I was riding my motorcycle. If I'm being honest we also ended up with the XP900 because it simply was the best thing we could get that the budget would accommodate at the time. That all changed as soon as I drove my buddies ’16 YXZ late last year down at Spinreel (Oregon Dunes). After only spending a few minutes in it I knew I had to build up the $ coffers and find the right one as soon as possible.

"Just A Little More" build-img_0597.png

A couple months later our RZR had found a new home and I was the proud owner of a 2016 YXZ1000r. I bought it used locally with 250ish miles. It was pretty much stock, but did come with paddles on STI wheels and a little lip-windshield that I continue to hate, but can't get rid of any time soon unless I want to get all new plastics due to all the drilled mounting holes.

"Just A Little More" build-img_0599.png

With a dune trip planned within a week after purchase, I quickly threw down for an Alba ECU flash, Airbox Spacer, De-baffled the stock can and installed a light bar.
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-07-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Unfortunately, I haven't taken a lot of pictures of the rig in the five months since purchase. I've been too busy working on it (and working in general), and have found myself under the gun to have it prepared for subsequent trips several times. Here are a few pics I was able to find from trips over the last few months:

"Just A Little More" build-img_e0126.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0602.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0609.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0608.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0601.png
    This last one is pretty embarrassing: Up to this point I had never flopped or rolled a sxs EVER. This was taken over Father's Day weekend and I missed a corner while leading our group and was nosed into a bank. I wanted to make sure those following weren't going to pop over the razor-back and hit me from behind. Unfortunately, while turning to look backwards I neglected to take my foot off the clutch. We coasted into the bank that had stopped my forward progress, teetered and flopped. Luckily my passenger kept her arms in and all was fine w/no damage to man or machine. (Was also lucky my wife skipped this ride and I had a friend's wife with me, or I would've never heard the end of it) . I guess it just goes to show that talent can run-out at any time... Even when your foot isn't even on the throttle.
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-07-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    With that, here is a rough list of what I've accomplished since April, which has included more than a few sleepless nights wrenching:

- 4 point harnesses
    - Trinity slip-on
    - Dynojet Micro Tuner (Recently replaced with PC5 & Autotune)
    - Decal removal and white rear fenders
    - AFR & boost gauges with bungs added to stock header
    - Dash improvements including gauge holder, USB power plug and Ram mount for phone
    - Bluetooth stereo
    - Coolant temp gauge
    - 1" wheel spacers (now removed)
    - Barnett clutch pressure plate & springs
    - 29" STU Tribute front tires
    - Raceline +/- 0 offset beadlocks
    - Weller dual rate springs and KOH re-valve (Thanks Alan Anderson!)
    - Packard supercharger w/#1 (5 psi) pulley

"Just A Little More" build-img_0610.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0613.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0607.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0606.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0603.png

I won't go into too much detail with the last item on that list, as my troubles with the S/C have been well documented on this forum and other pages, but suffice to say it has been a very rocky road. That is partially on me, as I purchased the kit used from a member of the YXZAddicts FB page thinking I could save a few hundred bucks. After multiple non-functional parts and a lot of frustration on my part, I realized sometimes trying to save a few bucks can really just cost you in the long run. After rectifying the issues with the used parts, I also had issues with a brand new bypass valve (BOV) I purchased directly from Packard, as well as with the tuning of the ECU. Even after sending the ECU in multiple times, fueling was still just not close to where it needed to be.

I don't wish to call-out Packard or say anything negative about any of their products. I am just sharing my personal experience up to this point which has definitely had some trying moments. To be completely transparent, they have been nothing but nice to me (when I have been able to get ahold of them). The main issues for me relate to their policy of only letting customers (at least this customer,) converse with their shop-hand that is the only person who answers the phone. While this individual is very pleasant, he unfortunately just doesn't have the necessary mechanical knowledge of Packard's products to put him in a place where he should be fielding questions from customers. This situation has resulted in technical information that turned out to be inaccurate being provided to me on a couple of different occasions. In the end though, it's not my company and not my place to question how it is run. It does however give me reservations to continue to develop the car with their products when I'm not sure what technical assistance might be available to me should the need arise.

After having to borrow a stock ECU and go back to NA twice for dune trips over several months, as well as having the entire charger kit on and off three separate times; I was at my wits end. As a last ditch effort I purchased a PC5 and Autotune just before our trip a couple weeks back. I actually took the S/C down to the Florence dunes with me in a box and re-installed it in the campground after running NA for a couple days (If anyone needs tips, I'm pretty dang proficient at it now). Low-and-behold after I figured out how to correctly utilize the PC5 software and autotune, the thing started to come alive! I spent a little time each day going out and doing dyno style tuning runs and kept making improvements on the fuel map. At this point it is very close to being ideal, with only a couple little AFR deviations through the power-band that I need to eventually work on.
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-07-2018 at 06:46 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Of course the first priority of concern on any YXZ build is the cage. While I definitely have custom cage plans, they are likely going to have to wait for a few months at minimum. This is because I have a local friend and member of our riding group here who is becoming very proficient at building custom cages. Since he builds some quality and good looking stuff, everyone that we ride with wants him to build something for their ride. He also has a wife and full-time job, so building these cages out of his garage (at materials cost to his friends) is a relatively low-level priority. I'm happy to take a spot at the back of the line and can help him cut and notch as the weather grows colder and things slow down. He actually hasn't even had the time to build one for his own car yet, so perhaps we can fab ours up together.

Here's the cage he built for his father's car last month:

"Just A Little More" build-img_0614.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0615.jpg

I'm hoping to go a little different route with no intrusion bars and more of a rounded look at the back. Here is my main inspiration minus the graphics :

"Just A Little More" build-img_0611.png

"Just A Little More" build-img_0612.png

(On a side note, I just saw this car (same car as above) got totaled at St. Anthony's last weekend which is an extreme bummer.)
    "Just A Little More" build-img_0616.jpg
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    Sherlock likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    The plans for the rest of the my car will come to fruition in phases and as discretionary income permits. Some of the plans such as possible switch-over to a turbo I'm still completely undecided on. Here is the basic breakdown of what I'm planning going forward:

Projects underway currently:
    - Radiator re-location w/Cherokee radiator, fabricating supports to bolt-on cage mounts
    - Plumbing coolant lines
    - Implementation of liquid/air intercooler using the stock radiator as the heat exchanger w/12v electric pump to circulate. (Intercooler is not necessary w/supercharger @ 5psi, but it will be going forward and it definitely can't hurt even on low boost).
    - Tubeworks inline transmission cooler
    - Converting from donaldson air-filter to open K&N mounted in storage box area

Upcoming Plans:
    - Motor build: Rods, Pistons (undetermined compression), Studs, Head gasket
    - Cage
    - Larger S/C pulley
    - Swap AEM AFR gauge for Dynojet Pod-300 (Eliminate the need to run two sensors)
    - Door bags
    - Higher quality harnesses (Thinking PRP)
    - Bed Delete
    - Auxiliary engine oil cooler

Possible future plans:
    - Ditching S/C and going with Push or RPM turbo system.
    - Flash-Tune to minimize reliance on outside sources for tuning

The main priority for me is keeping the car reliable and tuned for pump gas. Packard has stated to me that they advised staying with 11.5:1 pistons and that any larger pulley's can only be utilized with race-gas. However, I personally know of a car that has been built with stock compression ratio pistons that runs pump gas with the #3 pulley (The long travel YXZ for sale @ Florence Yamaha for anyone that has seen it.)

It is this sort of misinformation that makes me wonder if just saving up and going turbo might be the best possible solution. I guess I'll continue to think on that and will only have to make the decision when it comes time to buy pistons.

Thanks to all that read through this and bonus points if you didn't fall asleep. I'll post as I make progress!
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-07-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Zilla likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    LOL, love the name of this thread. I'm in the same boat, just have not gone that deep wtih build....yet!
    Graves Full Exhaust, FlashTune ECU, GYTR Filters, CR10EK
    Rekluse, TubeWorks Clutch Oiling Mod & Double Spring, GYTR 70/30, Alba HD Coupler
    Method 401's, STI Chicane 31", Eibach Pro UTV Stage 2
    Assault Industries Warthog Rear Bumper, Pro Armor 4 Point, PRP Harness Bar, Axia Alloys Rearview & Seizmik Side Mirrors
    Baja Designs RTL Bar, Squadrons Pros(pillar), S8 20"(roof), Onx6 10" (shock tower), S2 Pros(rear)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Awesome right up I to was considering deleting the Donaldson air box for an open style k&n looking forward to see what you come up with on that and I agree with you on talking with Packard before buying my kit I called and talked to probably the same guy I won’t mention names about there kit and was told that auto tune doesn’t work with there tuning then when I ordered the kit I talked to the same guy and he tells that auto tune works great

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwraymond6 View Post
    Awesome right up I to was considering deleting the Donaldson air box for an open style k&n looking forward to see what you come up with on that and I agree with you on talking with Packard before buying my kit I called and talked to probably the same guy I won’t mention names about there kit and was told that auto tune doesn’t work with there tuning then when I ordered the kit I talked to the same guy and he tells that auto tune works great
    Thanks for reading! I'll definitely let you know once I get that filter project going. My plan is to leave the lid off the storage box and put an outerwear over the top. Maybe also window the side of the storage box to promote more airflow and also filter-skin that in some way.

Regarding Packard; our experiences sound about the same and I'll leave it at that.

My radiator arrived today. Given that it's a fairly fragile part I opened it up immediately to check how it fared in transit, and sure enough, the filler neck was damaged and bent over at about a 45 degree angle which also damaged one end tank.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTrickster86 View Post
    Thanks for reading! I'll definitely let you know once I get that filter project going. My plan is to leave the lid off the storage box and put an outerwear over the top. Maybe also window the side of the storage box to promote more airflow and also filter-skin that in some way.

Regarding Packard; our experiences sound about the same and I'll leave it at that.

My radiator arrived today. Given that it's a fairly fragile part I opened it up immediately to check how it fared in transit, and sure enough, the filler neck was damaged and bent over at about a 45 degree angle which also damaged one end tank.
    Curious on the Cherokee radiator... following this install... don't forget pics!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Haven't done much over the last week, but figured I'd show the little I have done. My job is a 7-on, 7-off schedule, so I'm hoping to get a lot more done next week when I'll have more free time.

Anyways, I've ordered pretty much everything needed for radiator relocation, inter-cooler addition, installing an Autotune switch and installing a K&N filter in the storage box area. I also just ordered a set of inferno door bags since I'll be losing the spot I stored my tow-rope in. I wanted to get something done today, and since most of these jobs are going to take a fair amount of time and fab-work, I opted to get the filter install done. Pictures below, but I essentially went with two bolt-on 4" round flanges to mount the filter and tubing. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the box with a hole saw and then mounted a flange on either side with RTV silicon to make sure everything is air-tight. The filter has a pre-filter around it, and I will also be running a pre-filter where the screw-on lid usually resides. I'm also going to cut a window in the side of the box to promote airflow and will run a "airbox top" style outerwear over that as well. Lots to be done with more coming soon.

"Just A Little More" build-img_0674.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0678.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0675.jpg

"Just A Little More" build-img_0677.jpg
    Last edited by RTrickster86; 08-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links