Rally YXZ
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Rally YXZ

This is a discussion on Rally YXZ within the YXZ Builds forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; Thought I'd post the easy build of my 2019 YXZ SS for rally racing. I had done some rally racing with UTV's in the past ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By FastCash

Thread: Rally YXZ

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Rally YXZ

Thought I'd post the easy build of my 2019 YXZ SS for rally racing. I had done some rally racing with UTV's in the past and had a lot of fun doing it. Then I had the brilliant idea of building a Subaru WRX to race with and found out it just wasn't as much fun as racing a UTV.

So we purchased a YXZ in November with intent to rally it this year. Rally is a unique sport, you get to go flat out on relatively smooth roads with law enforcement on both ends of the stage telling you to go faster!! Its very easy on the machine and if you don't crash its a very low cost to race (??!!??). There are typically 6 to 10 stages a day, each stage 10 to 20 minutes long. Perfect for old guys ( even I can go hard for 20 minutes, right?). The rallies can be 1 or 2 days. Every stage is like a new race, you are always comparing times with your buddies, some stages you are faster some stages your not. As UTV guys we are racing with, not against, some very expensive rally cars in other classes. Turns out the UTV's are very fast, and can be in the top 10 or higher in every rally. That's racing against high dollar turbo Subarus driven by people like Travis Pastrana, Ken Block and David Higgings.

Back to the build, there is a turbo class and a production stock class, I'm building a stock production class car. Main changes are safety related, you'll need a cage, seats, belts, fire extinguishers, fire suits and SA2015 helmets. There are other requirements depending on what association you are racing with (American Rally Association, NASA and others).

Lower the car and figure out a tire that corners well and you can go racing.

I included some pics to give to an idea of what it takes. Happy to answer any questions on the car or rally racing. And if your coming to race the Idaho Rally, I can help with pit crew and a place to stay. The rally is very close to my home.
    Thanks, Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rally YXZ-dscn2017.jpg   Rally YXZ-dscn2020.jpg   Rally YXZ-dscn2024.jpg   Rally YXZ-dscn2026.jpg   Rally YXZ-dscn2022.jpg  

50 yrs + racing in the dirt !!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Awesome build @FastCash! It looks great. I am picking up my machine this weekend and I would love to set it up for rally racing but unfortunately I live in New Jersey so there isn't much rally racing near me. I am going to try and do an scca rallycross event this year though which I think would be fun. What kind of wheels and tires did you install? Also how did you lower your machine so much? I assume you took all the preload out? Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Awesome! so cool to see more YXZs out there racing, I would imagine these cars would be great on this type of racing. Question, whos little windshield is that, and did it impair vision down the road at all? I race desert and was going to make an aluminum one, but that looks easier

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by visbeenk View Post
    Awesome build @FastCash! It looks great. I am picking up my machine this weekend and I would love to set it up for rally racing but unfortunately I live in New Jersey so there isn't much rally racing near me. I am going to try and do an scca rallycross event this year though which I think would be fun. What kind of wheels and tires did you install? Also how did you lower your machine so much? I assume you took all the preload out? Thanks in advance!
    Thanks pal, is been a fun and easy build over the winter for my car. But we are also building 2 Wildcat XX's to race
    the Mexican 1000 next month so sorry for the late replay.
    Rallycross is a blast with a UTV, get the car down to the lowest factory ride ht. (ck. the manual) stiffen the shocks,
    and if you can, get a 27/28 inch tire and go rip it up.
    Those are Method 5/2 wheels with 28 inch BFG All terrains. A good proven combination for Rallly/Rally X.
    Ck. out the American Rally Association, they have several rally's in the northeast. Volunteer for a rally, watch and
    learn, and you can be racing with the big names in no time.
    Good luck and have fun, Chris.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dkelly506 View Post
    Awesome! so cool to see more YXZs out there racing, I would imagine these cars would be great on this type of racing. Question, whos little windshield is that, and did it impair vision down the road at all? I race desert and was going to make an aluminum one, but that looks easier
    Thanks dkelly506, the YXZ is a fantastic rally car, the best way to really experience its potential is to go flat
    out in a rally stage for 20 minutes when tenths of seconds count. Way good fun.
    The lower wind deflector is made out of aluminum, its actually the taller of the 2 I made (for winter) with a
    shorter version for summer. I'm 6ft and have no trouble seeing down the road with either deflector. You just
    need to mock up the correct ht. with a piece of tape.
    Good luck with your build, desert racing is a great challenge, Chris.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Would love to try that in about two years .
    MPI 186hp Carrillo rods , Pistons,studs
    Trinity full exhaust
    Fireball long travel
    Schmidty eibach springs , sway bars
    Tubeworks 45/15 with oil mod And alternator
    Rebe style customer cage
    Rigid industries 50" light bar
    ECU tune Alba
    Rugged radio,intercom,helmet blower
    Switch pro 8100
    Hess radiator
    Alba hardened spline, boot.
    NRG seats ,steering wheel ,quick release.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCash View Post
    Thanks pal, is been a fun and easy build over the winter for my car. But we are also building 2 Wildcat XX's to race
    the Mexican 1000 next month so sorry for the late replay.
    Rallycross is a blast with a UTV, get the car down to the lowest factory ride ht. (ck. the manual) stiffen the shocks,
    and if you can, get a 27/28 inch tire and go rip it up.
    Those are Method 5/2 wheels with 28 inch BFG All terrains. A good proven combination for Rallly/Rally X.
    Ck. out the American Rally Association, they have several rally's in the northeast. Volunteer for a rally, watch and
    learn, and you can be racing with the big names in no time.
    Good luck and have fun, Chris.
    Your welcome! Yea once I get my car I am going to play around with the ride height and other suspension adjustments for the different types of riding I am going to do. I will be putting 28 inch tires on it once the bighorns wear out. Is that a 15 inch wheel and tire combo you have? I ask since I cant seem to find BFG all terrains for a 14 inch wheel. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to check out the American Rally Association and try to visit one of their rallies. No need to apologize I dont reply that quickly either. Good luck on your builds for the Mexican 1000!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by visbeenk View Post
    Your welcome! Yea once I get my car I am going to play around with the ride height and other suspension adjustments for the different types of riding I am going to do. I will be putting 28 inch tires on it once the bighorns wear out. Is that a 15 inch wheel and tire combo you have? I ask since I cant seem to find BFG all terrains for a 14 inch wheel. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to check out the American Rally Association and try to visit one of their rallies. No need to apologize I dont reply that quickly either. Good luck on your builds for the Mexican 1000!
    Your right, they are 15 inch wheels. Bead locks for stage rally and non-beadlocks for rally X.

Volunteering for a stage rally is a great time, usually you get to camp within a few feet of the stage and really get a feel for the speed.
    When you get to see a full-on rally car go by for the first time it will truly amaze you how fast they can go. Same feeling when a
    trophy truck goes by you at speed, you'll never forget it.

29 days until we leave for the Norra Mexican 1000, 5 days of stage racing over 1000/1200 miles, the whole length of the Baja peninsula.
    Definitely a bucket list adventure for me.

Go to every Rally X you can, its the best way to practice (against the clock, it doesn't lie).

Regards, Chris

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Great thanks for letting me know the tire size and about the bead locks. Good luck down in Mexico for the Norra Mexican 1000! That will definitely be a blast!

Sponsored Links