2017 ss
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha YXZ Forums - Powered by vBulletin

2017 ss

This is a discussion on 2017 ss within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Yamaha YXZ Forums category; New to the YXZ world just got a 2017 ss for riding up here in N.H woods hope I chose right, everyone here has RZR's ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By johng99
  • 1 Post By Rennertime

Thread: 2017 ss

Member #
    Member #

2017 ss

New to the YXZ world just got a 2017 ss for riding up here in N.H woods hope I chose right, everyone here has RZR's here

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Magichood welcome to the forum! I too have a 2017 ss, I bought it new last fall. I love my car, but it took some work, time and money to get it sorted out to my style of driving. Did you buy used or new? And are there any mods to your ss? My advice to you is to drive your ss and get to know what you like and don't like. Read the forum to understand issues others have had and how they dealt with them. And ask questions - lots of folks here will pitch in with help and their experiences. This will help guide you on how to make your ss the best for you.
    Ted Bell likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Welcome and congrats on your new ride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    YXZTalk.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Same car i have... understand and be nice to the clutch and be cautious letting anyone that doesn't understand the clutch drive it. It wont let you down. After that once you dial in the shocks it is a great car only really needing a pipe and ecu tune to unleash it.

Member #
    Member #
    I also own a 2017SS. So far I absolutely love it and I'm convinced every time I drive it that I made the correct choice in SxS's. So far, mine is stock except for a few adders such as a rear view mirror, 4-point harnesses and paddles. I'd like to hear what others have found successful in a pipe and ECU tune to "unleash" their car. Not really interested in a turbo kit, at least not yet. I've read a bit about staying NA, and would prefer to stay that way. Thoughts and advice are always appreciated.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello. I have a ‘17 SS (not an SE) as well, it’s awesome but needed some upgrades and adjustments from stock to rip trails. I enjoy riding trails hard in NE, IA and SD and have been riding dirt bikes, quads, snowmobiles and now SxS’s (not brand loyal, owned Yamaha, Polaris, Honda, Can Am, Ski Doo and Kawasaki) for 25 yrs so my expectations were high. I was initially disappointed in the YXZ (because of the way the suspension handled on the trails). It rode rough, bounced around through the chop, donkey kicked off of every jump and felt tippy. I lamented not buying an XP or X3 but after my mods and adjustments I love my YXZ. I think the ‘19 design changes address much of what is below but, like you, I own a ‘17 so here we are.

Dual rate springs on the rear are a must to reduce chatter and rear buck. I have the complete set, front and rear, from Weller Racing. I think there are a number of different suppliers out there. Once I get a couple thousand miles on my car I will spring (haha) for a complete shock revalve. The stock ‘17 Fox shocks are a good design, and highly adjustable, but valved and sprung way to stiff on initial contact from the factory especially for trails.

I recommend spending some time setting up, and learning about in detail, your suspension. The YXZ’s rear suspension design and geometry is super durable and built for abuse but incredibly reliant on shock set up. XP and X3 guys ride on much more forgiving (in regard to shock set up) rear suspension designs. I have some racing background but most of what I know about suspension I learned, from this forum, after I bought my YXZ.

Yamaha has given us YXZ owners the opportunity for almost endless suspension tuning which is great but makes it super difficult to effectively adjust if you don’t understand what you are doing. You have 5 points of adjustment (6 actually if you have dual rate springs) at every corner (HSC for quick sudden hits,LSC for gradual hits like G outs,Rebound,spring preload and tire pressure) so start close to stock recommendations then make very small changes. There are countless treads on suspension set up within this forum, probably because it’s so important. I created a logbook and started recording all of my adjustments and then spent an entire day (literally 10hrs) with just me and my car. I picked a few different trail sections and then ran them over and over, making one small adjustment at a time, until I got to a place I felt comfortable. Maybe yours rides awesome as-is for the way you ride but mine didn’t, it initially sucked but now I am super confident in my car.

In regard to other upgrades Simpson seats are great although the YZX stock seats are serviceable (unlike a RZR’s which are total garbage).

I have the ECU tune and Trinity header/muffler from Malone Motorsports. IMO It’s the best bang for your buck performance increase out there.

My next major mod is a cage from Cageworx. Most say do that first if you are regularly ripping it, I think that is good advice.

Other stuff I have added are a Alba heavy flywheel which is a cheap mod and I recommend if you ride simple technical stuff. IMO the pros outweigh the cons. You won’t be able to crawl like the RZR’s but it helps.

A S&B particle separator helps a ton if you encounter dust often.

For some value context I bought my ‘17 YXZ locally with 30 miles on it for $14K. I have spent about $3.5K upgrading so figure I have $17.5K into it. Performance wise I would put my car up against anything but a Turbo S or top of the line X3 which start at $25K. I also get the long term durability and piece of mind of owning a Yamaha and I never have to adjust or replace a fricken belt! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Rennertime; 04-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    rsessions likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have the HMF full Blackout Titan Exhaust.Buddy has their full Performance exhaust.Can`t go wrong with either one.
    Go to this link and sign up to get $75 bucks off when the pop up screen shows!
    https://www.hmfracing.com/exhausts/yamaha/yxz-1000r
    `17 SS SE Matte Grey/Black w/2019 Yamaha gearing and Tubeworks GSC harness.
    HMF Blackout full exhaust TitanXL / HMF ECU reflash /block off plate
    HMF Custom Rollcage,Roof
    HMF Front Bumper and rear cargo gate
    HMF switchpanel
    Crow 3" 4 point harnesses
    EMP full windscreen, rubber strap quickmount
    Xprite led rear chase lightbar
    Everything else factory stock
    https://www.motozilli.com
    www.hmfracing.com
    www.pitracer.com

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Recommend
    Real roll cage (krash offroad)
    Harnesses
    Full exhaust/tune heres my full dasa system I absolutelly love it!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links