Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I am new to the forum. I am curious to the pros/cons for the 1000R vs 1000 SS. Mainly trying to understand why someone would want paddle shifters over a foot clutch?

My wife and I live in Flagstaff, AZ and this past April and June we had fires rip through the forest that backs our home. The fire in April came 10 feet from our home with 70 mile an hour winds driving the embers directly in to the home, but by the miraculous and mighty and merciful hand of Almighty God our home did not burn down. The home wasn't even singed and it didn't smell like smoke at all. The home in every way should have burned down from at least the inside out as the attic was filled with cooled embers that had got blown into the attic through the gable end vents during the fire. I praised God again for his blessings when I saw that the day after the fire went through. All that to say the Lord alone is good and has blessed us greatly and beyond all understanding. We thank God so much that our house is still here, but unfortunately our forest got roasted. We used to drive right out our back gate and go forever in the forest and mountains but now the forest is closed and so now to go to other open parts of the forest we have to go out on the highway. The Lord blessed us with a Kawasaki mule back in 2019 which is a great rig that worked great in the forest before our access was taken away but it isn't setup for the highway travel. But now my wife and I are praying about getting a different SxS so that we can go explore all of the rest of the forest and go out on the highway. My wife and I have a lot of fun exploring the forest and this is our main source of entertainment. We didn't want to make another purchase like this but we miss exploring. We have been praying about and looking at different SxS such as the Honda talon (though I don't like the air intake setup as we live in a very dusty environment), Can-am maverick x3 (but I cringe when I read where people say they bought a Can-Am and they wouldn't ever buy one again and the same with a Polaris RZR). The KRX is nice but it is a huge machine. So our biggest needs are, able to travel at highway speeds (55mph minimum), very dependable/quality build, comfortable ride and go a ways on pavement to different trails. Once off of the highway we trail ride and just need a 2 seater. I want to keep the machine stock, except for things like windshield, A-arm guards, skid plate etc., bc I don't enjoy working on machines, rather I like using them and whenever I get around a moded machine it always has problems. After reading a bunch of forums and researching it seems like the YXZ is one of the more well built, quality machines. Is this accurate?

Any thoughts if the YXZ would fit our general needs would be appreciated.

Thanks for the comments all!

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
Welcome, I saw a question in the title about the pros and cons of an SS and a three-peddle, but nothing in the body of your post about it. I have had both so I guess I'm as qualified as any to answer any questions you might have about the two. I will tell you they are both more fun than other SXS I have driven because of the shifting. Also, this question has been asked and answered many times so you want to use the search box and I'm sure you will find more posts that you care to read on this topic.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, I saw a question in the title about the pros and cons of an SS and a three-peddle, but nothing in the body of your post about it. I have had both so I guess I'm as qualified as any to answer any questions you might have about the two. I will tell you they are both more fun than other SXS I have driven because of the shifting. Also, this question has been asked and answered many times so you want to use the search box and I'm sure you will find more posts that you care to read on this topic.
Thanks for your reply! I will look again by using the search function. I did search the topic before posing the question but didn't see anything. Thanks again.

Take care

· Registered
2021 SS SE
51 Posts
mostly personal preference. I have the SS and love it. The only downside is Moab type crawling. While it works, it automatically slips the clutch often where a manual clutch might be smoother, but not necessarily easier. Besides crawling, the SS performs well everywhere else, especially the dunes

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I will look again by using the search function. I did search the topic before posing the question but didn't see anything. Thanks again.

Take care
Here is one that came up that is pretty good: 5 Speed, or SS????
I will give you my take between the two. Both cars use the same transmission one shifts with an actuator and the other is done manually. Both clutches are worked hydraulically. The SS uses an actuator to move the clutch and the three peddle uses a manual peddle The SS is very good for tight trail riding as it will downshift for you of course upshifts are all up to you. It's also nice for people who are not used to driving a clutch. They are less reliable in the fact that there are two actuators and an extra MCU to fail that the three peddles do not have. The SS will not handle added turbo power as well as a three-peddle without spending a lot more money. If the driver hasn't driven a clutch it can be hard to get used to the YXZ clutch. It can be very finicky and can be damaged by a novice clutch driver. The SS does have a launch control mode which is like dumping the clutch but only from a dead stop. The SS can also be shifted without letting off the gas. The SS is easier to drive and you are less likely to damage the transmission with one, but you can still damage the clutch if you don't pay attention to the green clutch light on the dash. I had a 2016 three-peddle and now have a 2019 SS.
I like them both. I miss the three-peddle, but I would also miss the SS if I didn't have it.
They are both very good and reliable machines and I have had zero problems with either.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
".....The three peddle does have a cable that can fail but are not prone to...." Not sure what cable you are talking about. Clutch is hydraulic.
Good synopsis of the differences. I have never driven an SS more than on and off a trailer. I truly love the clutch engagement control the three pedal provides and the mechanical simplicity. It is personal preference in the end IMO.

Reactions: leadmic

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
".....The three peddle does have a cable that can fail but are not prone to...." Not sure what cable you are talking about. Clutch is hydraulic.
Good synopsis of the differences. I have never driven an SS more than on and off a trailer. I truly love the clutch engagement control the three pedal provides and the mechanical simplicity. It is personal preference in the end IMO.
Sorry, you would be correct don't know what I was thinking. I will correct my post.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mostly personal preference. I have the SS and love it. The only downside is Moab type crawling. While it works, it automatically slips the clutch often where a manual clutch might be smoother, but not necessarily easier. Besides crawling, the SS performs well everywhere else, especially the dunes
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is one that came up that is pretty good: 5 Speed, or SS????
I will give you my take between the two. Both cars use the same transmission one shifts with an actuator and the other is done manually. Both clutches are worked hydraulically. The SS uses an actuator to move the clutch and the three peddle uses a manual peddle The SS is very good for tight trail riding as it will downshift for you of course upshifts are all up to you. It's also nice for people who are not used to driving a clutch. They are less reliable in the fact that there are two actuators and an extra MCU to fail that the three peddles do not have. The SS will not handle added turbo power as well as a three-peddle without spending a lot more money. If the driver hasn't driven a clutch it can be hard to get used to the YXZ clutch. It can be very finicky and can be damaged by a novice clutch driver. The SS does have a launch control mode which is like dumping the clutch but only from a dead stop. The SS can also be shifted without letting off the gas. It is easier to drive the SS and you are less likely to damage the transmission with one, but you can still damage the clutch if you don't pay attention to the green clutch light on the dash. I had a 2016 three-peddle and now have a 2019 SS.
I like them both. I miss the three-peddle, but I would also miss the SS if I didn't have it.
They are both very good and reliable machines and I have had zero problems with either.
Thanks leadmic. Really good comments thwt help me out.

· Registered
535 Posts
I think Yamaha or Kawasaki make the most dependable well built machines on the market today. The Krx and the Yxz were the top of my list when I was looking for my last SxS and would still be the top 2 today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts