Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the group here and just purchased my first YXZ, low milage low hour SxS. Currently waiting on the delivery sometime next week. I do a lot of riding in the mountains where I sometimes encounter some technical situations not to mention quite a bit of inline/declines on the trails with my ATV. Really love the idea of getting away from rubber band driven equipped CVT's from other manufacturers and having direct drive that is on the YXZ. Plus too I think Yamaha offers a great product, I previously owned a '05 R1 that had 40K + miles on it when I sold it. Never had a single issue with that bike, that was Yamaha's fault. Anyway, considering the type trail of riding I plan to do, I am confident I will need a reduction kit. Probably a Rekluse also. That is to be determined. Here is my problem......$1,200!?!?! $1.2K for some measly gears and a cover in the 70-30 gear reduction kit? I'm guessing that is probably around 300% mark up from the actual cost of the parts! I am highly mechanically inclined and work at fab/machine shop (unfortunately we do not have a gear cutting lathe) or I would make my own gears. Pretty sure I know somebody in the next town over that could though. And with regards to the case, I do not see why I could not just put my original case in the my CNC machine and clean up the spots on the case that would interfere with the infamous "70-30 kit". My point I'm getting to is, list price of $1,199.00 is expensive and I am looking to buy a used gear reduction kit or one purchased that somebody wishes to sell. Obviously at a reduced price. OR If anyone knows where I can get just the gears without the 'modified' case cover I would be interested in that as well.
Ha, or for that matter I would buy gear blueprint specs from somebody that knows gearing/teeth dimensions. Ok, that's a joke. Or maybe not...

Thanks guys and really can not wait to get my new toy!

·
Super Moderator
2018 YXZ1000R SE, CageWRX cage
200 Posts
To change to 19+ gearing this is what you need. About $550 IIRC.

Gear, Middle Driven B5H-17583-00-00
Gear, Middle Drive (23T) B5H-17582-00-00
Gear, First Pinion (15T) 2HC-17111-10-00
Gear, First Wheel (36T) 2HC-17211-10-00

That said. Before regearing you might want to look into a heavyweight flywheel. I did and it made a huge difference. But, its also a 3 pedal.

Nate

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welled seeks a kit for about 350, but you can buy the parts yourself for even less.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just finished doing the 2019 gears installation on my 2016. Paid about $240 delivered from Partzilla. They have the best price. I also put in a stronger clutch spring from Weller that was about $60. It can be done on the cheap and I didn’t have any problems installing. Just make sure you read the excellent directions on this site and replace the dollar something damper on the back end of the rear driveshaft. I found a part of the damper in the floor after buttoning everything up and had to remove rear %&$# driveshaft a second time. I really like the 2019 gears. I have a friend who has a 2020 YXZ and he has ridden most of the trails in Moab with no problem. I have only had a short ride and the YXZ is apart again getting my new Fireball LT installed. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts