Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 YXZ and I am looking for a little more compliance over trail chatter but still maintain big g-out resistance as well. I realize that dual rate springs are a great start but I also want to look into some internal modifications to compliment the springs. Weller racing seemed to be the big name for dual rate springs so I contacted them but was less than pleased with the results. They are unwilling to sell me the internal kit so my local shock rebuilder can do the mods. I even offered to pay full price for a rebuild from Weller in lieu of having them done and sign a non-disclosure agreement stating that myself nor my rebuilder will release any of the specs to the public. Apparently that wasn't good enough. I'm not really sure what is so special about their mods that entitle them to Pentagon-level classification but my shock guy could EASILY tell me what was done after Weller did the work anyway. This is an off road toy we are talking about, not the next SR-71. Anyway: rant over.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know the 2019s have new internals to compliment the dual rate springs and I'm sure Fox would share the specs with my rebuilder. Maybe this is the best route? I'm not looking to make it perfect I just want to be a step in the right direction from the factory spring and pogo stick setup that this machine comes with.

All thoughts/opinions appreciated and welcome. Thanks in advance.

PS: I refuse to send my shocks out to Arizona because I live in NY and having my machine down for that long on stands or on the lift is not an option. My local guy can turn them around in 24hrs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Perhaps just buy some used X2s or buy another set of single springs to send out to Weller so your machine isn't down for to long? X2s offerTons of adjustabiltiy, and heaps better than the stock single spring. Or perhaps, just have your shock guy do what he thinks best.

Honestly though, I can't blame Weller. They spent the time and money in research. They're not flexible and your not, so I would just move on.. my .02.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's some food for thought. I will certainly look into that. I guess my issue was that I was literally willing to pay for a full rebuild from Weller if they just sent me the specs and internal parts with the dual rate springs. I also was happy to agree never to share the information.

Also: Would I be better off in purchasing Elkas? I would imagine even used X2s are going for some serious coin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts