Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 200 mile day yesterday. About 70 miles of that was off road with 40 miles being pretty rocky trail. Lots of shifting and on the trail it's very jerky. Anything I can do to reduce the jerkiness? On pavement and smooth trails the YXZ is like a smooth beast. Rocky trails no so much.

Does dropping the tire pressure down reduce the jerkiness. My through is the the beadlock tire/wheel combo kind of acting like a stress buffer.

Thanks for any advice. I hate to buy a Can Am X3 rock crawler. I have my YXZ decked out just how I like it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The bead locks allows you to run low tire pressure without popping the tire off the rim . Lower pressure is better for rock crawling. Your best bet is to talk to a good suspension shop and set up your car for the driving you do. I was not happy with mine until I went long travel with shocks valved for all around trial riding. After all the work on my car my sisters can am is smoother riding but my yxz is more fun to drive .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got back from a week in the Hatfield McCoy trails bearwallow n Buffalo mountain ....great trip...very rocky. Hint. More speed...let suspension do it job. No issues with being jerky unless I needed to crawl a sketching area

·
Registered
593 Posts
Airing down in rocks will just get you lots of flat tires, IMO. Keep 'em aired up and carry some more speed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with the keeping the tires aired up. I have had good luck with running the recommend tire pressure. A few of my buddies air down and they keep getting flats. We are just running the stock tires though, and ride KY and TN trails.

I also agree, if you can, keep a little speed. Lets the suspension work. The YXZ does seem to smooth out when you do this. Now with the rock crawling or really rocky sections, you're not going to be able to keep the speed up. I don't think anything would be real smooth unless you are going super slow, and this is not where the YXZ shines IMO. I still do it though. Damn RZR buddies!

You said there was a lot of shifting. How fast were you going? I usually ride in first and second gear. When I get a chance to open her up, I enjoy the shifting and it is super smooth flicking through the gears. When I'm going slow, I find that if I short shift into second there is a certain sweet spot that all you hear is the click and it flows right in. You don't even feel the shift. Then I often down shift when I'm on the brakes, or just hitting them, so you don't really notice it. It did take me a while to learn what my YXZ wanted for smooth shifting. It was a lot different, for me, than anything else I had ridden.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I have the SE model with the Fox X2 shocks. I have all settings at the minimum. During our rock crawling the other day I was at the tire pressures recommended in the manual. 18.5 rear and 16.5 front on stock Big Horns. Keeping the speeds up is often not an option because if you leave the road you will roll down the mountain and die.

On the technical stuff I'm mostly in first, sometimes second. Thinking about it a lot of the jerkiness is the on/off throttle and play in the transmission. Most of my experience is with belt driven rigs. However, we do have a Pioneer 1000 which is geared and it seems much smoother. The YXZ is my first pure sport SxS so maybe they are all like this.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ay in the transmission. Most of my experience is with belt driven rigs. However, we do have a Pioneer 1000 which is geared and it seems much smoother. The YXZ is my first pure sport SxS so maybe they are all like this.
A heavy flywheel will help some with the jerkyness of the throttle down low. I would run about 10 psi front and 12 in the rear. You can move the crossover rings up to have a softer spring rate through more of the travel. On the Fox website under UTV in the help section is a chart for the X2 shocks. The comfort setting was pretty good for me. I did tighten up the rear rebound some more to help a little more with bucking.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thanks guys. I have the SE model with the Fox X2 shocks. I have all settings at the minimum. During our rock crawling the other day I was at the tire pressures recommended in the manual. 18.5 rear and 16.5 front on stock Big Horns. Keeping the speeds up is often not an option because if you leave the road you will roll down the mountain and die.

On the technical stuff I'm mostly in first, sometimes second. Thinking about it a lot of the jerkiness is the on/off throttle and play in the transmission. Most of my experience is with belt driven rigs. However, we do have a Pioneer 1000 which is geared and it seems much smoother. The YXZ is my first pure sport SxS so maybe they are all like this.
Do you think it's because of the nasty ass dead pedal they all have from the mfg. , they have a real soft buffer in the throttle stop and when you let completely off throttle then reapply, you just keep pushing and pushing then bam, whiplash. That's a problem I've had with both of mine. My 17 I fixed with a new spacer that jagged s customs makes and the 19 I fixed with a new cable, ordered a new OEM spare for the trailer and when I got it, it had a nice firm rubber stop with no buffer. Guys have also fixed it on the cheap with a zip tie. You just wrap the tie around the soft spot and pull it tight and I guess it makes it firmer for better response. There's also a lot of on and off the gas slop in the rear drive shaft (torque loading and unloading), the Avenger drive shaft makes that ALL go away and is a much stronger option. Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been running 12psi / 12psi front / rear for tire pressure for a good while now and I am happy with that pressure. I'm on 30's. IMO anything above 14 is too damn rough for any kind of rocky terrain. Lots of guys run in the high single digits or 10psi for eastern riding. I've heard airing down is pretty important for sand too though I've never done it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Did a 200 mile day yesterday. About 70 miles of that was off road with 40 miles being pretty rocky trail. Lots of shifting and on the trail it's very jerky. Anything I can do to reduce the jerkiness? On pavement and smooth trails the YXZ is like a smooth beast. Rocky trails no so much.

Does dropping the tire pressure down reduce the jerkiness. My through is the the beadlock tire/wheel combo kind of acting like a stress buffer.

Thanks for any advice. I hate to buy a Can Am X3 rock crawler. I have my YXZ decked out just how I like it.
Bigger tires and lower PSI will help. I have 6k mile on my 19 SS SE with RC2 shocks, I have been running 30's and 32's and no such issues. PSI in the 10 to 13 range.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It seems to me on my 2016 with changed to Eibach dual rate springs and revalve on rc2 shocks i run the 28” tensor regulators at 11-12 psi front and rear, also with some added aftermarket weight and all adjustments made the ride is incredibly better. Just takes work and maybe some $$$ to dial in your needs, but when you do......

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I agree with letting the pressure down to 12 to 10 without issue. That will be a big change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts