Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it out today for a short drive. I just wanted to sort it a little out before I take it to The Baja , far away from a dealer.

Very impressive machine. It's got a whole different feel than my 1KXP. I like my Polaris and often say it's like a mini Trophy Truck. But it keeps breaking down. Hence the Yamaha.
But the Yamaha feels more like an intimate driving experience. Kind of like driving a Dodge Charger with an automatic then jumping into a Camaro with a 6 speed. I think it will be way more fun at high speeds than it's competitors. The clutch pedal and gear shifter are both very short throws. The shifts feel very, very solid. There is no question that your in the next gear.

Power feels great. Seems like tall gears but that's fine for the desert. Tracks very well. The suspensions feels stiff but I haven't adjusted it yet. Overall a very confident feel. I think that they real nailed it on quality. It will be interesting after break in to keep the RPMS up around 7K to 10K.

Only con I found was that it's too loud. I like loud in Harleys and my 600 hp pre runner. But with a 3 cylinder small engine it doesn't excite me. You won't be able to talk with the passenger when your romping on it. Glad I set up an intercom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Boy does it open up between 6-10 grand.

I have around 10 hours on mine, and the suspension has softened up gradually while I've been riding it. Im going to wait till after one more trip to tune in the shocks to see if they get any better via break in.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Too loud? Define please. Too loud exhaust tone? (I thought the muffler was quiet) Transmission? Other mechanical noise?
Just curious for a bit more detail.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The suspension won't get any better.

We will have Shock Therapy RIS kit on ours. New valving, valve body and springs. The yamaha adjusted at its softest doesn't help....

Glad your liking it so far

·
Registered
831 Posts
Coueshunter, that's what I figured and feared: Extra money for a shock re-valve times four to make it handle doll head rocks and other square-edge hits. :(

What's the cost of the shock re-valve for you?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Coueshunter, that's what I figured and feared: Extra money for a shock re-valve times four to make it handle doll head rocks and other square-edge hits. :(

What's the cost of the shock re-valve for you?
I don't know all the details yet as they are wrapping up the kit. 3 weeks estimated till release. There other RIS kits are $680ish I think.

Yamaha made a special internal shock that doesn't allow simple reshimming so it is my understanding that they have to make all new internals.

Kepp an eye on there website and I'll provide feedback with a ride report shortly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, is that with or without a helmet?
I rode awhile without a helmet and then put one on. Better with the helmet but it will still be hard to talk with the passenger. Might be a good thing for me since I'll have my helmet on more since it has a mic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know all the details yet as they are wrapping up the kit. 3 weeks estimated till release. There other RIS kits are $680ish I think.

Yamaha made a special internal shock that doesn't allow simple reshimming so it is my understanding that they have to make all new internals.

Kepp an eye on there website and I'll provide feedback with a ride report shortly.
A revalve and respring...dual rates with collar...I bet is going to come in at about 2k though Shock Therapy

Duane

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I just spent all morning testing our YXZ and we actually found the factory shock valving/springs to be really good. This thing wants to be driven hard and fast, and it feels the best when that is what you are doing. Granted we have our aftermarket a-arms and tires on our unit, but can't believe how well these shocks perform right out of the box. Factory springs....factory valving.....I continue to be impressed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just spent all morning testing our YXZ and we actually found the factory shock valving/springs to be really good. This thing wants to be driven hard and fast, and it feels the best when that is what you are doing. Granted we have our aftermarket a-arms and tires on our unit, but can't believe how well these shocks perform right out of the box. Factory springs....factory valving.....I continue to be impressed.
Yeah, seems like the folks around here are a bunch of rock crawling, articulation, rip the sway bars off, soft spring pussys, they'll figure a way to get rubber band back on it so's they can keep a beer in Their right hand to:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
This would make sense and play right into the stiffness that everybody is saying, with your aftermarket a-arms i am assuming they are wider then stock, this would put a higher leverage ration on the shock giving it the "feel" of having softer valving and springs.

Nice to know with your a-arms you can use stock shocks and probably stock shock settings, might be a better way to go then revalving stocks shocks for stock a-arms

·
Registered
677 Posts
This would make sense and play right into the stiffness that everybody is saying, with your aftermarket a-arms i am assuming they are wider then stock, this would put a higher leverage ration on the shock giving it the "feel" of having softer valving and springs.

Nice to know with your a-arms you can use stock shocks and probably stock shock settings, might be a better way to go then revalving stocks shocks for stock a-arms
Yes go out with the tires n that would help it be softer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What size tires did u install n what ply rating? How did 1st gear feel to u for like going up steep loose rocky hills without getting a running start? Thanks for ur input.

·
Registered
589 Posts
zz- look for Weller Racing on Facebook. They have some video's up backing out of a trailer and a take off. Sounds really good with the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
We were running 30" Tires - not sure about the sidewall rating or tire pressure. This machine has a ton of torque, and I think a lot of people think this motor needs to be revved high to drive. Not true. Yamaha chose a 3-cylinder over a 4 for the torque and really broad powerband - this was a great choice IMO.

I have also spent time on stock suspension and I still don't think it's stiff if you drive it hard and fast. It's set up a lot like my SR1.... Precise cornering and no body roll. Even if they feel stiff for some people, these are excellent shocks and they are NOT difficult to revalve or respring. We have a lot of experience with these shocks as they are the same ones we have been using on our SR1s.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes I agree with the torque for like driving in the trails n hills this thing will be just fine, Just have to get used to the machine everyone is different. So the 30's didn't really hurt it any at low end? I would think that it would of. Again thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
zz- look for Weller Racing on Facebook. They have some video's up backing out of a trailer and a take off. Sounds really good with the exhaust.
Thanks, I wonder if anybody will come out with a triple exhaust? that would be cool.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks, I wonder if anybody will come out with a triple exhaust? that would be cool.
Would be cool but wouldn't really make any more power. The exhausts need to be connected to provide a scavenging affect. Turbo's don't need the scavenging so I don't see where a short manifold right off the side of the motor would hurt anything. Except maybe some heat build up? not sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts