Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for information on why my starter fuse keeps popping. I have replaced the relay, fuse stills pops after about 30 seconds of run time. The fuel pump seems to sound louder and seems to take longer to prime. Can any body sheds some light on what the problem could be.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you cranking the engine for 30 seconds and then it blows? Or does the fuse blow after you have started the motor and are no longer using the starter? If you are cranking the motor for 30 seconds, then the fuse blowing makes a bit of sense as it gets hot carrying current for that long. Low fuel pump pressure could account for the failure to start and your noted change in sound and priming duration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking for information on why my starter fuse keeps popping. I have replaced the relay, fuse stills pops after about 30 seconds of run time. The fuel pump seems to sound louder and seems to take longer to prime. Can any body sheds some light on what the problem could be.
The engine starts just fine, it runs for about 30 seconds and the fuse blows and dies. Normally when you turn the key on the RPM gauge will max out and return to zero and the priming sequence is done. When I turn the key to the on position now the RPM gauge will max out and return to zero, but it is taking a lot longer to prime up and the noise is a lot louder and it sounds like it is pushing harder and longer to prime.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just looked at my 2016 service manual wiring diagram and there is no fuse for the starter. I think the fuse you are blowing is the fuel injection fuse. Are you putting the right size fuze in it? The only thing it goes to are all three fuel injectors. So maybe there is some kind of an intermittent short in the injector section of the harness. Any pack rats or such that might have chewed some wires?

Reactions: Rider414

·
Registered
630 Posts
That fuse also feeds your fuel pump. There is a fuel system relay too and the fuse I think you are blowing feeds that relay which switches in the fuel pump and injectors upon command from the ECU. Maybe the fuel system relay is going bad and creating a poor current path for the fuel pump or maybe someone has added a load to the fuel injection circuit dragging voltage down and increasing current through the fuel system fuse. Have you trickle charged your battery lately to ensure it is fully up?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Or maybe the fuel pump is drawing lots of current as it starts to fail.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts