Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to re-valve the front shocks to get a more compliant ride. Been all over with preload / crossovers / damping adjustment / new springs . Definitely made some improvement - but still a harsh ride. So I put a # 40 shim stack in place of the OEM setup. Also drilled the reservoir caps for Schrader valves. Definitely feels squishier in the front now. Now have to go for a ride and see how it does.
OEM compression stack had a lot more shims - including some bleed shims (4). Looks like Yamaha started out with #30 shim stacks and added on to those to get the ride they were looking for.
This is a learning curve for me, First time ever doing a re-valve. I figure if it is too soft - I can just get a firmer stack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took it out to a local fire road and the front end is so much smoother. Set the pressure to 150 psi and I think that helps a lot. Was not able to run much over 30 mph due to conditions . Need a trip out to the desert ( El Mirage) for that.
Started on the rears . Buck8577 did a write up on his , going to do similar. Will take out 2 LS shims and add small dia. shims to top of stack to make up the height difference. Rear shock oil smelled used. Going to change rears to Blue Fox oil.
Going to do another test run in the canyon when rears are done. If it goes well , desert time.
FYI - this car has Eibach dual spring setup. Tried a million different setups and was never totally satisfied with them. But I am not building a racer - so my requirements are different from most folks. I do like the adjustability of them. I may just end up liking them.
My overall goal is to get a soft ride with decent handling up to about 50 mph in the desert. Wife has a bad hip so I don't do high speeds or super crappy terrain with her in it. We are in our 60's and just enjoy being out and about.
I know this is a dated machine . but I thought someone may find this of some use.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-Where I am at now-
Rear has #50 / #50 valving
Light FOX shock oil (blue)
50 psi pressure
Front has #40 / #40 valving.
Light FOX shock oil (blue)
50 psi pressure
The shocks all had the IFP stuck in the bottom of the reservoirs. Had to pressurize shock body to blow them free.
Last trip out was using #30 rebound stack in front and was topping out when going fast. Rear felt really good. First time that I could actually feel if moving up and down. Waiting for weather to clear to test out the #40 / #40 front valving.
It is real close to how I want it. So far I have kept it under 50 mph while seeing how it handles Feels really planted and definitely a lot smoother overall. Mid sized whoops are no problem any more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is good info. I have changed the oil in my front shocks to a 10W, installed shrader valves and pressurised them to 150 psi. I am looking to do my rears and will run 7w in them. I want to change the shim stacks in the rears to soften up. I still have the OEM progressive shocks but will eventually change them, which is why I have not done them yet. Where did you purchase the shim stacks?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is good info. I have changed the oil in my front shocks to a 10W, installed shrader valves and pressurised them to 150 psi. I am looking to do my rears and will run 7w in them. I want to change the shim stacks in the rears to soften up. I still have the OEM progressive shocks but will eventually change them, which is why I have not done them yet. Where did you purchase the shim stacks?
Fox Valving Shims - Kartek Off-Road
They have everything you need and at decent prices . I am lucky - they are about an hour from me . Super nice guys to deal with. My 50 / 50 stacks in the rear seem to work real nice for me and my driving style.
Going out to El Mirage in the morning to see how the fronts do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fronts definitely work better. Hit some big whoops and no major impacts from front. Rear bottomed a few times.
Need to figure a way to get more compliance out of the front on initial impact. Thinking I need to add some bleed to the valving / piston to let shock start moving easier. The way the fronts lay over , I think it takes a big hit to get stuff moving.
Overall - the car is working the best it ever has. Whole lot of BS stuff was wrong with all the shocks the way I got it. Low oil , IFP all jammed into bottom of reservoirs and valving that I have no clue what they were trying to do.
Next trip out will move compression adjusters in rear to mid point for all and get a feel for how much change it makes. I think the compression valving stack may need to go to #60.Again - not sure of how big a jump that is.
Wife wants to try Johnson Valley again. She hated it before because of all the whoops. Car must feel better to her too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a lot of reading and learned my equal reb / comp setting is not ideal. Dropping rebound stacks by 3 . 50/35 rear 45/30 front plus use a bleed shim for the comp face shim . Shim is supposed to be very similar to bleed holes in operation. No clue yet on how drastic the reb shim change will be. Just part of the trial and error learning curve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts