Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys we are going to run the YXZ at King of the Hammers. I will update this thread with build pics and testing videos as we get things done to the car. Its currently at MCX USA getting a high boost turbo kit and some engine and trans mods.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 2016 KOH there is no sportsman class anymore only pro utv

·
Registered
753 Posts
That's a brutal race ... even moreso with clutch + high gearing. Sub'd ... very interested.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well guys we are going to run the YXZ at King of the Hammers. I will update this thread with build pics and testing videos as we get things done to the car. Its currently at MCX USA getting a high boost turbo kit and some engine and trans mods.
Tubeworks just announced that in 30 days they will be offering a solution to the tall first gear, better clutching, etc. You can reach them at 951.522.1117.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Looking forward to details on the "trans mods"

Sub'd.
These guys are based in Riverside, CA. They are looking at a 20% gear reduction across the board max speed of 80mph instead of 100mph. Also, they are working on a true Granny gear for 1st.
They have many years of experience doing this for other platforms including high performance trucks. They are looking at a cost of $3000 for the upgrade. They are a full services shop.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to Tubeworks those guys are great they will have there transmission released by the end of the year keep an eye on there instagram for updates. I will be running there kit on the KOH YXZ.

Reactions: Coondog28

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going to be running some 30" Arisun Gearbusters that I got from boostnandroostn.com. I am hard on tires with these and some dual beadlocks I should be good I hope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
for me the transmission works great as is, when using the Rekluse clutch. The trans ratios between gears accelerates perfect with no gaps, that bog the engine down. I've had the yxz in very steep rocky terrain and many sand washes, with no problems, BUT I would like to be able to run 29 or 30" tires, SO why has no one address the final drive ratio of 3.6/1 9t on the pinion 33t on the ring gear
If Yamaha would make a 4.6/1 8t pinion 37t ring or what ever would fit in the differential housing around this ratio as an option when ordering or as an after market ratio this would solve a lot of the owners concerns that I'm reading about.
The transmissions main shafts are designed to withstand a certain amount of toque multiplication through the gears, when you increase the torque in the transmission you could cause the gears to deflect causing gear teeth to break. This has been a problem for years with all vehicles 4wheels and 2wheels, when multiply torque in the transmission.
Increasing torque at the ring and pinion would HELP eliminate damage to u joints driveshaft's and the transmission
Off road vehicles have been using final drive ratios for years to compensate for trans gearing and big tires.
this is fun stuff for discussion not for a bunch of negative B S !! thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Changing the ratio in the diffs would be a great way to go just haven't seen anyone working on it yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
for me the transmission works great as is, when using the Rekluse clutch. The trans ratios between gears accelerates perfect with no gaps, that bog the engine down. I've had the yxz in very steep rocky terrain and many sand washes, with no problems, BUT I would like to be able to run 29 or 30" tires, SO why has no one address the final drive ratio of 3.6/1 9t on the pinion 33t on the ring gear
If Yamaha would make a 4.6/1 8t pinion 37t ring or what ever would fit in the differential housing around this ratio as an option when ordering or as an after market ratio this would solve a lot of the owners concerns that I'm reading about.
The transmissions main shafts are designed to withstand a certain amount of toque multiplication through the gears, when you increase the torque in the transmission you could cause the gears to deflect causing gear teeth to break. This has been a problem for years with all vehicles 4wheels and 2wheels, when multiply torque in the transmission.
Increasing torque at the ring and pinion would HELP eliminate damage to u joints driveshaft's and the transmission
Off road vehicles have been using final drive ratios for years to compensate for trans gearing and big tires.
this is fun stuff for discussion not for a bunch of negative B S !! thanks
The diffs and the ring and pinion are not immune to the issues you named for the other gears.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Typically the gears in the diff are weaker than transmission/tcase gears, making them weaker may not be a great idea. The input or output gears of the transmission would be probably the ideal place to lower the ratio

1 - 20 of 48 Posts