Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the debate begin now, how do you think the Yamaha Banshee will stack up against the newly announced Polaris RZR Turbo?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think the NA will be a better fit for eastern us trail riders. Turbos don't like the water we encounter much, and I think a NA motor will be better in slippery rock and hill climbs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think it will depend on how they put the power to the ground. I'm guessing the Banshee is going to be a high revving engine and it would be nice if they could gear it to deliver some low range torque.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think the NA will be a better fit for eastern us trail riders. Turbos don't like the water we encounter much, and I think a NA motor will be better in slippery rock and hill climbs.
Guess I'm doing a lot of assuming that the yami will be a NA motor. That's a biggie for me, not interested in a turbo. They have there place though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turbos make bigger torque, and more hp can be easy added by a ECU reflash and up the boost a bit...........as an example the Arctic Cat Z1 turbo is a rock solid unit and last's forever, makes bulk power & torque

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If the tranny is actually a DCT set up it should deliver the hp to the ground much better than a CVT. So even without a turbo its possible to run away from the turbo Rzr. IMO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yamaha already has turbo kits for most of their triples so those that want more can buy the kit.
Yeah, Yamaha has factory turbo kits for their snowmobiles, so I would imagine they have that figured into the motor they have for this machine. The guys that run in the dunes will want even more power then stock. So having a factory turbo available, has probably already been produced. They may even have different stages of kits for the "I can't get enough power" guys. LOL!!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Yeah, Yamaha has factory turbo kits for their snowmobiles, so I would imagine they have that figured into the motor they have for this machine. The guys that run in the dunes will want even more power then stock. So having a factory turbo available, has probably already been produced. They may even have different stages of kits for the "I can't get enough power" guys. LOL!!
Do those kits come with lower compression pistons and forged cranks? Or just the turbo hardware?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do those kits come with lower compression pistons and forged cranks? Or just the turbo hardware?
Never checked into one, but I believe they were a bolt on turbo kit. They probably have some kind of waste gate or some electronic way of saving the motor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The factory turbo & supercharger kits (manufactured by MPI in Utah) utilize the stock motor on 91/92 octane fuel as they are set at 10 psi of boost. Any higher boost and you will need to run head shims or lower compression pistons and the list of parts just keep going up as more boost is added. The Yamaha four stroke motors sure love the boost though!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts