Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

2016 YXZ crawl box vs gearing $$

33K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  ChiliPepperGarage 
#1 ·
Just trying to get everyone’s opinion on the crawl box versus gearing. My dilemma is I love my first and second gear in the sand immensely. I take my machine up in the dunes ever so often and really enjoy those gears. But then it sure would be nice to flip a switch and have 3:1 ratio gearing. with the stock set up now. I just don’t want to stall out my machine when crawling up steep incline that’s a bit rocky and have to slip the clutch or drop the clutch to get up something. Or should I just sell it and get an X3 or RZR And save the 5k?

#3 ·
Id take a minute and search the site. There is a huge amount of information about gearing options.

That said. It would be easier to know if your talking about the TW mod, 18 swap to 19 gearing. Since a '19 gear swap runs about $200 in parts and 4 hours labor vs the TW which can run up to $600 in parts and the same 4 hours not sure why your dealer is talking $3,200.00. Since you mention "slipping the clutch" I am assuming not an SS so no reprogramming of ECU required, most you'd need is a 12 O'Clock labs speedo adjuster for (?$50?).

Just my .02
Nate

#4 ·
I’m not too concerned about the price. I’m worried about losing my first and second gear in the performance If I get with gear kit. but heck if you want to fly into Southern Utah swipe out my gearing for those prices come on down and give me a call bring your own tools though..

#5 ·
Considering I just spent most of the winter TiG welding a new cage and rebuilding a friends YXZ I think I'll pass. But, I would question the dealer on the labor charge. Depending on location a $200 p/h charge wouldn't be outrageous, but 16 hours to do the gear change is over the average dealership time to a tranny rebuild. Thats all I'm pointing out.

But, again. What year YXZ are we talking about?

Nate

#6 ·
I maybe I’m asking it wrong let me re-ask the question. I have a chance to keep the stock gearing in my 2019 machine and also flip a switch to get 3:1 ratio gearing. or is it better or worse performance to do just a gear mod and be stuck with the gears that I have to purchase. ( will I loose power/ performance in the sand) That’s my question it’s not a price issue I really love my machine and I do enjoy the sand and I love the performance in second gear it has climbing these giant hills. As far as the occasion where I have to rock roll I’m not impressed so far with it. Or am I chasing something unobtainable and I should just sell the machine and get something else. I really don’t wanna sell it I love how hands-on I am with this machine I love the look of it just trying to figure out what’s best for me in the long run

#10 ·
If the cost of a crawlbox isn’t a concern, than without question buy one!!
Having 10 gears to work with is 5 more gears than we currently have… why give up your wonderful 1st & 2nd in the dunes? Spend some $ and get those other 5 gears…. I’m a Duner and a past ardent Toyota fanboy.. and having a true low range would unlock these cars true potential soooo much.

#11 ·
If the cost of a crawlbox isn’t a concern, than without question buy one!!
Having 10 gears to work with is 5 more gears than we currently have… why give up your wonderful 1st & 2nd in the dunes? Spend some $ and get those other 5 gears…. I’m a Duner and a past ardent Toyota fanboy.. and having a true low range would unlock these cars true potential soooo much.
THank you very much. :)~

#12 ·
Good luck ordering one. I've had one on order for 7 months. Everytime I email Ron about it he tells it will be part of the next batch. I'm not sure what is going on. I've heard he's still working out bugs and gear wine.

#14 ·
I put in my order first of the year. I was told I would receive an invoice for my 50% once he added me too a run. I have followed up several times and he is always quick to reply. Last time I asked he told me the 1st of May. Well it's July now and I haven't heard anything. It makes me nervous to buy one. I'm disappointed because I really like the idea and I think it's the best of all worlds. I ride the sand and rock crawl with my machine so it is the perfect solution. Maybe I will follow up again

#15 ·
I have one on order now as well. The last time we spoke he told me it was just about to ship. Fingers crossed.
In my 2020, when I install the Crawlbox, I am going to leave the original first gear and change the middle gear to the earlier 2016-2018 ratio. I think that is going to be the best possible setup for the way I ride.

#21 ·
I have been waiting a little over a year.
I have been involved in R&D projects in the past, and understand they take longer than planned. I have spoken to Ron several times, and so far I am not worried.
From my understanding, these are made by Weismann. Just a side gig they undertook after one of the owners bought a YXZ.
There are a few boxes out the initial run (of 5, I think) there that are being used right now.

#22 ·
I have been waiting a little over a year.
I have been involved in R&D projects in the past, and understand they take longer than planned. I have spoken to Ron several times, and so far I am not worried.
From my understanding, these are made by Weismann. Just a side gig they undertook after one of the owners bought a YXZ.
There are a few boxes out the initial run (of 5, I think) there that are being used right now.
So, you have been waiting for a year now?

#24 ·
I've been waiting 7 months and have not been asked for my deposit yet. He said he will ask for a deposit when he adds me to a run. I'm a little worried how this product will be supported after purchase.

#26 ·
@Djjoshua Sorry, been off with other "stuff".

Changed the title as requested.

Hopefully you've got some good info on the crawlbox and been able to look at some of the other threads reference gear reduction and speed.

Personally I did the 2018 gearing to 2019 gearing since it would have the least impact on speed and significantly impact low end performance. When I added a Trinity Stage 5, Alba spacer and Weller tune it really took it up a couple notches both in low end torque and its ability to walk over or accelerate up difficult terrain.

Nate

#27 ·
We paid in full over a year ago when they first opened up for orders. It has been frustrating with so many updates/ revisions etc and I've wondered several times if we were just being strung along and going to be out all of that money. But thankfully it finally showed up a couple weeks ago and we are installing it now. It is going in my wife's 17 SS. Hopefully it's as great as we are hoping!

#30 ·
I will chime in hear . I have the second proto type on the first batch that were sold . It’s because of some of the issues I had installing mine is why they change the design. It wouldn’t allow aftermarket seat to fit in the car with where the shift solenoid was located. As for the performance it will change your machine into probably the most capable off road sxs period . No belt to burn and no axles to break unless your trying to . It literally crawls slower then my rock crawler jeep . I currently run a 45/15 tube works gears but will be switching to the 2019 gears to get my top speed back . I am on 32” tires it does great .

Reactions: Rider414
#31 ·
Soo, came across this. Still looking into the specs. But it appears to be a substantially stock 2016-2018.

Just food for thought on what the YXZ can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.