Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guy's, my 2017 SS model randomly gets stuck in forward or reverse. if i shut it off to reset then it will not start due to being in gear. i have read about the shift actuator linkage bolts coming loose but i have checked and they are all tight. just to be clear it paddle shifts through the gears just fine. my problem is strickly with the center console shifter. i also checked the wire connections on the shifter itself and the shift actuator and they all look fine. any ideas???

·
Registered
228 Posts
Should start in gear with foot on the brake. Won't shift from forward to reverse without the brake on so maybe a problem with the brake switch?

·
Registered
680 Posts
There is a lot of adjustability in the brake switch and perhaps you are right on the edge of it making or breaking or it is going intermittent on you. Have someone look at the brake light when you are having problems and see if it is coming on or not. The brake switch on one of my 16s was way out of adjustment, but not much impact on a three pedal other than the brake light won't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guy's are awesome!!! it was indeed the brake switch being out of adjustment! glad I posted on here for help, the dealer said they couldn't even take a look at it until the middle of next month!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guy's, my 2017 SS model randomly gets stuck in forward or reverse. if i shut it off to reset then it will not start due to being in gear. i have read about the shift actuator linkage bolts coming loose but i have checked and they are all tight. just to be clear it paddle shifts through the gears just fine. my problem is strickly with the center console shifter. i also checked the wire connections on the shifter itself and the shift actuator and they all look fine. any ideas???
I had the same problem on my 17 SS it seems that the heat from the radiator gets blown directly on your shifting box in the tunnel it overheats the two metal straps that the shifter hits to go into reverse and neutral because they are at the very front , I took the driver side tunnel cover off after removing the seat and the hot air from the radiator hitch that black shifting box directly so I put an insulated pad on the frame the blocks the heat from hitting that box now I have no problems the copper switches if you look at them if you take your shift or apart completely you will see they are about less than an 8th inch wide and a little over a quarter Long the heat makes them expand so when you try to shift it won’t if you let it cool down then you can shift normally again putting this piece that diverts the heat away from the shifting box Solves that problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts