Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP YXZ SS OWNERS,

HELP PLEASE READ.

In the summer time I had the GYTR 45/15 gear reduction kit installed by the dealer. It took a while for them to do it but it got done. At the same time I had 30” Beadlocks put on too. Everything else is stock I believe. The car is pretty new and not abused or unmaintained. We had to wait for desert season finally to arrive everything seemed ok for the first hour then on our way back a couple hours into my ride the car shifted Back into first and stalled. Since then it won’t
shift out of 1st. What they have tried is putting some diagnostic tool on to read the issue but that didn’t work. Finally (been in shop since Halloween) i asked the dealer to take it to Tubeworks or Weller. They took it to Tubeworks and put a GSC on it. Seemed to solve it!!!! Then they got back to dealer and test rode it. All good! Removed diagnostic tool off and drove to end of parking lot to turn around and put on trailer? Boom. 3rd, 2nd 1st stall. Broken. According to dealer everything is right the car is possessed. HELP!!! Please.
Here’s what we have done. Put gytr 45/15 gear kit on. Put 30” bfg mudders, and Tubeworks did GSC. Aside from lights and harnesses and gear kit it’s stock. The car is fairly new. I’d say 5-6 desert trips? Not many miles and it was serviced by dealer. Plugs, oil etc. obviously it’s at the dealer and i have nothing to do with it other than read and beg for anyone that might have gone through this. I was getting ready to post my success after i checked it out for others to see. I learn a lot from you all. Anyone that has any knowledge I’d appreciate the help. I’m really bummed out. Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
HELP YXZ SS OWNERS,

HELP PLEASE READ.

In the summer time I had the GYTR 45/15 gear reduction kit installed by the dealer. It took a while for them to do it but it got done. At the same time I had 30” Beadlocks put on too. Everything else is stock I believe. The car is pretty new and not abused or unmaintained. We had to wait for desert season finally to arrive everything seemed ok for the first hour then on our way back a couple hours into my ride the car shifted Back into first and stalled. Since then it won’t
shift out of 1st. What they have tried is putting some diagnostic tool on to read the issue but that didn’t work. Finally (been in shop since Halloween) i asked the dealer to take it to Tubeworks or Weller. They took it to Tubeworks and put a GSC on it. Seemed to solve it!!!! Then they got back to dealer and test rode it. All good! Removed diagnostic tool off and drove to end of parking lot to turn around and put on trailer? Boom. 3rd, 2nd 1st stall. Broken. According to dealer everything is right the car is possessed. HELP!!! Please.
Here’s what we have done. Put gytr 45/15 gear kit on. Put 30” bfg mudders, and Tubeworks did GSC. Aside from lights and harnesses and gear kit it’s stock. The car is fairly new. I’d say 5-6 desert trips? Not many miles and it was serviced by dealer. Plugs, oil etc. obviously it’s at the dealer and i have nothing to do with it other than read and beg for anyone that might have gone through this. I was getting ready to post my success after i checked it out for others to see. I learn a lot from you all. Anyone that has any knowledge I’d appreciate the help. I’m really bummed out. Bob
Unplug the GSC and try it, if no change then there's the problem.....a place to start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unplug the GSC and try it, if no change then there's the problem.....a place to start.
Thank you. Since Tubeworks did the work and the dealer has it. Is there any specific place to disconnect it from? Is disconnecting battery enough or does the module need to be unplugged? Thanks again. Bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the 45/15 gears and 30" tires. When first installed the dealer didn't install the GSC and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. We installed the GSC and it ran fine for 2000 miles. Then I started to have an issue with it sticking in gear, and wouldn't shift until I powered it down and started it back up. Took back to the dealer and they said it was the gear position sensor. They cleaned the connection and it ran normal again. Forward to the end of last season and it happened once. Powered down and started back up and issue was gone. While servicing the car this summer I noticed that the connector and wire were not tied down as they should be. It was free to move, which may have been causing my issue. I tied it down well and haven't seen the problem so far this season. You may be having problems with that sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 45/15 gears and 30" tires. When first installed the dealer didn't install the GSC and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. We installed the GSC and it ran fine for 2000 miles. Then I started to have an issue with it sticking in gear, and wouldn't shift until I powered it down and started it back up. Took back to the dealer and they said it was the gear position sensor. They cleaned the connection and it ran normal again. Forward to the end of last season and it happened once. Powered down and started back up and issue was gone. While servicing the car this summer I noticed that the connector and wire were not tied down as they should be. It was free to move, which may have been causing my issue. I tied it down well and haven't seen the problem so far this season. You may be having problems with that sensor.
I appreciate the feedback! My dealers ego doesn’t see any value to the fixes i find here! I’ve found more solid information on this site for fixes. I haven’t had my car for a long time. Bummed. I am so over it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hauled it clear to Weller in AZ to do the gear reduction and 3000 miles later, NO issues
I wish I would have. I had it in for installation took 2 months. Been in shop since Halloween. No solution yet either. Dragging out. I bought a Honda Talon R with live valve 2021 right off the show room floor to have a desert season. I miss the yxz but love my Honda Talon. I just couldn’t go yxz again I needed a change. I may never see it again. Tubeworks worked on it and thought we had a fix. Broken again. Just sucks. I’ve told my story hundreds of times. My dealer sucks too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's funny, not really. Im having the exact same problem with my 17 SS (45/15/1 with 30's). I keep setting the SH-37 code. Dealer has scaned it, and every thing checks out? Been through clutch, actuators, sensors, control module, continuity checked all trans connectors and wiring. Even sent the Tube Works GSC back to them to verify operation. No issues found with anything. Great machine when running, but this ghost in the machine is a bit too much. Hate to say it.......maybe an X3 is in the future. There not flawless either, but at least you can fix'em when needed. I will say the dealer has gone over and above the top for service no complains there, great work trying to resolve the issue!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's funny, not really. Im having the exact same problem with my 17 SS (45/15/1 with 30's). I keep setting the SH-37 code. Dealer has scaned it, and every thing checks out? Been through clutch, actuators, sensors, control module, continuity checked all trans connectors and wiring. Even sent the Tube Works GSC back to them to verify operation. No issues found with anything. Great machine when running, but this ghost in the machine is a bit too much. Hate to say it.......maybe an X3 is in the future. There not flawless either, but at least you can fix'em when needed. I will say the dealer has gone over and above the top for service no complains there, great work trying to resolve the issue!!
It’s crazy. I keep telling myself that is just a machine with computers and wires. I wish I would have never tried to make it better with a gear kit. What part of the country are you in? I’m in San Diego. When the dealer did my gear kit they did gears and I was going to just go with my stock wheels and switch when I wore stock tires out. My dealer had a great deal on some beadlocks with 30” mudders and we switched. At first i was thinking that the computer was confused with larger tires. They tried many different things including a diagnostic tool from Yamaha to help but nothing. Finally they took it to Tubeworks and the diagnostic tool still on it. Everything seemed to be fixed!! Shifting and as it should according to dealer. They tested several days and appeared good. Disconnected the Yamaha tool to load on trailer and boom went back to original problem again. I’ve been scouring the site to find a fix. At least I found you so I’m not alone! You are in the place i was. Just done! I bought a 2021 Honda Talon with live valve. I like it. Still no belts and paddle shifters if I want. Cant crawl up anything and putt if I want. That was the one thing that my yxz was not designed to do that we like. Just to cruise. I looked hard at the x3. Great car too. We decided we like to sit up higher and after so many problems we know that Honda has a great solid reputation for service and a reliable product. Again nothing against yxz. I was still considering a new 21 yxz ss after everything i am going through. In the end just went Honda. As you said each has its own flaws and awesome points. We wanted to stay away from the belts. We were between a KRX and Talon. The kRZ is awesome just heavy and too slow. With a turbo it would be incredible. We are very happy with the Talon. Let me know how you progress or find any answers. I will do the same. I’m sorry you’re going through it. I just didn’t want to miss the season. I bought a new one and will either sell or the dealer may buy it back since they have tried to fix and just like you said can’t find the ghost. I put some money down and will pay it off when the yxz resolved. In meantime I can ride!! Good luck bro. Stay in touch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I would have. I had it in for installation took 2 months. Been in shop since Halloween. No solution yet either. Dragging out. I bought a Honda Talon R with live valve 2021 right off the show room floor to have a desert season. I miss the yxz but love my Honda Talon. I just couldn’t go yxz again I needed a change. I may never see it again. Tubeworks worked on it and thought we had a fix. Broken again. Just sucks. I’ve told my story hundreds of times. My dealer sucks too.
I have to retract part of my post. My dealer had been trying. I was just pissed when I wrote it. It’s just been a long process and had some dealer issues in the process for sure but I will say over the last month is really stepped up. I think he’s got some approval to get it fixed whatever it takes. I believe they were trying to fix it in-house to save some money and it went sideways. I found another member here with exact same problem so that helps!! Merry Christmas boys. Ride safe!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your machine going back to first gear ? Is it working intermittently? Thank you

·
Registered
228 Posts
Why not just remove the gear reduction? If my machine had been sitting in the shop for months that's what I would do. Sell the gear reduction and be glad to have it back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not just remove the gear reduction? If my machine had been sitting in the shop for months that's what I would do. Sell the gear reduction and be glad to have it back.
I would have and that was one of the choices we gave them. It’s just that they were thinking it would be ready tomorrow, tomorrow tomorrow! Then it was apart and then I got it back and it was good for 2 hours before it did the downshift and that’s where we are. They have tried a bunch of different things and days turned into weeks and months. If they said it’s going to be 2 months we would have. Also we weren’t confident that putting it back to stock would have worked 100% either at that point we had very little confidence. I did interview them before they took it on. They assured me that they could do it. I think that they did. Took a long time which I do fault them for pulling mechanic off to do other things. Probably frustrated. This last trip out when it broke we thought a week or 2. Then like you said the ghost and Yamaha was involved and then Tubeworks and now c4 and a blasting cap. I thought for sure Tubeworks was going to be the end. We are new to sxs. The yxz is what I thought would be perfect for us. Paddle for my wife to drive and no clutch. We found ourselves wanting to putt and take pictures and check the desert out. I’ve had enough years of driving fast. Yxz isn’t a machine that likes to putt. Why we put gears in it. Be able to go slower when we choose. It’s too bad. The 2 hours i had it back was awesome. I was planning on tweaking the shocks for better ride or send them out then it broke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your machine going back to first gear ? Is it working intermittently? Thank you
Yes. Soon as it would start to move, drop to first gear and stall when stopped. This is a mystery. Dealer who seems very knowledgeable on the machine has indicated that SH-37 also means a difference in shaft speeds indicating clutch slip. Brand new TW clutch and verified stack height. Not clutch slip! As indicated all electronics have been through. Now down to a hail mary replacing parts trying to find a defective part not being picked up by the YCC scanner? $$$$$$$

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. Soon as it would start to move, drop to first gear and stall when stopped. This is a mystery. Dealer who seems very knowledgeable on the machine has indicated that SH-37 also means a difference in shaft speeds indicating clutch slip. Brand new TW clutch and verified stack height. Not clutch slip! As indicated all electronics have been through. Now down to a hail mary replacing parts trying to find a defective part not being picked up by the YCC scanner? $$$$$$$
Yup. That’s where we are too. I have read here that the clutch springs are too stiff? You’re probably already on that. I didn’t hear anything back on my sxs today. I will try to find out if it’s throwing a code. I don’t think it was. When I was breaking down the shift light came on but I vaguely remember it’s been a while. It sounds like we are in exactly the same place. Are you in California? Like you we have been through all of the possibilities I’ve read about or can think of. The only other thing I haven’t asked about and I am sure is good is the clutch actuator bolts. I’ve heard they can loosen and cause problem. The problem with electrical stuff is i don’t know anything about it. Thank heavens I was in a position to get another machine in the meantime. I don’t get a lot of time off with my business so I really look forward to going to ride around! I talked to Kyle at Weller and they claim they have never had anything they could not figure out by the end of the day. What’s your next step? Did your dealer put the gear reduction in?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Was just reading another thread and it was a faulty speed sensor that fixed that one. The thread was by bren5279. I feel for you, I use mine every week. I have a Razor also and would hate to have to drive it instead. The Yxz is my favorite, and I've owned all brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully in the end it will something simple because its a brain buster right now.. Machine has been out of service for over 3 months. Missed the best part of the riding season here in Michigan which is fall. Looking forward to spring riding? I'll post the out come once the mystery is solved. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully in the end it will something simple because its a brain buster right now.. Machine has been out of service for over 3 months. Missed the best part of the riding season here in Michigan which is fall. Looking forward to spring riding? I'll post the out come once the mystery is solved. Happy Holidays!
You too. I’m actually thinking speed sensor could be it too. It’s something to look at. So many different possibilities but we’ve been through a lot of them. We are in the middle of our desert season. Glad i bought the Talon. It’s not as quick as my yxz but a very good all around sxs. It’s funny. I hear guys talking or putting down anything but there’s. They are all good they all can be bad. Some are better at one thing and not another. I think the thing to remember is why we do this stuff. We love driving a sxs over what’s in front of us. Happy holidays bro!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HELP YXZ SS OWNERS,

HELP PLEASE READ.

UPDATED FIX to 2017 YXZ SS SHIFTING PROBLEMS!

I found the answer to the problem in my yxz. It ended up being the TCM. at least so far. I will be putting some hard miles on it and reconfirming that it is fixed. If you’re having problems with yours follow my tribulations. Good luck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Congrats. It has been a long road for you and I hope the fix sticks. 🍺

1 - 20 of 21 Posts