Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 1000R 3Pedal
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have facts observing any difference in cooling capability once a full, non-vented windshield is installed...

No side curtains will be installed.

Thanks for all,

Cb

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,076 Posts
Any long pulls at wide open in 4 or 5 gear may cause it to overheat unless you vent the front windshield adequately and or add a rear window. I'm not sure what kind of facts you are looking for. You could try searching on this forum and see all the people that have posted with this problem or take yours out after you get it good and warmed up and make some long pulls to see for yourself.

Reactions: WWARt

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,076 Posts
A rear window makes all the difference. The front windshield alone creates a low-pressure area in the cab that gets worse the faster you go. This starves the radiator intake on the 2019+ cars causing them to overheat on long high speed pulls. The rear window changes the airflow and eliminates the low-pressure problem. You might be able to get enough airflow by cutting slots in the lower front windshield, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the windshield.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a full windshield, back glass and side curtains on mine. In the summer on the road, I have to keep an eye on the temp. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I did cut three 4" holes in the top of the radiator cover, but I am not sure it did any good.

·
Registered
21 1000R 3Pedal
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a full windshield, back glass and side curtains on mine. In the summer on the road, I have to keep an eye on the temp. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
I did cut three 4" holes in the top of the radiator cover, but I am not sure it did any good.
Thankyou for your experience... Makes sense. My understanding is that the rear edge of the bed is an auxillary air intake for 19 to current models.... Maybe this is why temps are somewhat controllable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2020 YXZ used. It came with a full glass windshield with optional vents on the bottom of the windshield frame. I have only used it in the dunes, I have tried it with and without the windshield.
I agree with others, the car runs way hotter with the windshield, and it's much hotter in the "cab". Also, the windshield can create visibility problems (dirty, especially after it gets wet, and glare). I have not been in the rain with it (yet), so maybe that's the advantage of having a windshield. With my limited experience, I prefer NOT having the windshield on.
Maybe a half windshield gives you some rain protection without the other hassles.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
Previous discussion on just this subject.

Nothing to do with the radiator aspect. @ktm4thomas We run a half windshield. It does help with the rain quite a bit.

We've been caught in several prolonged thunderstorms and never had much of an issue with visibility.

On the original OEM cage it almost completely eliminated water on helmet visors. After swapping out to a CageWRX Super Shorty and having to move it forward and down its less effective but still provides enough protection that when the rain hits, we just don the frogg toggs and keep rolling.

It also help keep mud off the visors when SWMBO gets so inclined in her trail choice.

Nate

·
Registered
392 Posts
you will likely see cooler temps along with a reflashed ecu as it lowers the trigger temp for both fans.
i believe the weller tune turns both on at 190 and i have never had temps over 210 after that, and thats with WOT in the sand for several minutes straight

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
I run the Weller tune for my Trinity pipe and Alba airbox spacer. Fans come on around 185*. I've never had the temps get above 200*. But I am running a Spall fan and front rad. It has made a huge difference in the temp the radiator runs. Prior I regularly had temps up to 220* on hot and muddy days.

Nate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts