Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently ordered an Alba billet diff carrier support to swap onto my 2016 rear diff, as I am in the middle of a turbo build which will be high enough hp to require something being done with the carrier support. However, just after the Alba billet carrier support arrived, I was told by my motor builder that they addressed the inherent weakness of the rear diff carrier support on the 2019's and that it is actually the cheaper option to buy an entire 2019 diff which comes complete with the whole carrier unit, and then sell my (still good) 2016 rear diff rather than having to remove and install bearings on the old unit. Obviously, the bearings are still the same size, (as they also are on the Alba carrier support). Anyways, I went ahead and sent the Alba carrier support back and ordered a complete 2019 rear diff (Which does have a completely different part # from earlier units.)

I've never seen any literature stating they addressed anything on the diff carrier, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or deny that? My builder (Alan Anderson) knows YXZ's as well as anyone, but just wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge about the 2019 rear diffs.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
How much $$$ was the ‘19 rear diff?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
$598 shipped from Babbitt's
Wow! Not bad at all for what your getting.
I’d be very interested in knowing if they did in fact beef up the weak pinion housing on the new diff.
Also wondering if the gear ratio is the same, and if it is otherwise completely plug and play.
Keep us advised when you get it installed and try it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Not bad at all for what your getting.
I’d be very interested in knowing if they did in fact beef up the weak pinion housing on the new diff.
Also wondering if the gear ratio is the same, and if it is otherwise completely plug and play.
Keep us advised when you get it installed and try it out.
As far as I know gearing should be the same, or I'm in trouble, as I'm only doing the rear!

Yep, will report back. Just got the shipping notification this morning, so it should be here before long!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just noticed the supports themselves also look different on the microfiche! It’s crazy because a new 2016 diff is nearly $300 more expensive than the 2019!

2016:
EFEDF0CD-5742-4003-96FA-7721AFE86247.jpeg

2019:
801C7796-0D17-4F1C-8DC5-371D4B7C10E8.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 19's carrier is made out of steel. I'm not sure if they addressed the o ring that Alba and a few others say is the issue.
One nice thing about the Alba too is that it comes with the bearing tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what was the outcome? Did it mount the same or was the mounting different? Is the gearing the same? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts