Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Barney. Please let us know how this gear combo works out.
I did this in 2020 and went with this combo after reading a lot here. I'm old school (and old) and I count teeth to get ratios then attempt to do a little math to figure what percent the ratio is changing. There is no perfect combo for everyone as tire size and terrain ridden/how you drive are factors. Went from stock 27" to 28" and eventually 31" ITP's. and drove it like that for a couple years and felt understandably a little lazy. I'm in Havasu AZ so there are some rocky canyons but I choose to avoid the worst of that stuff and stick to two track (some very rough) and washes (whoops) but inevitability there are rock features you have to traverse. I live about ten minutes from where the UTV world championships are held.
I have a couple notes/gear tooth counts that the 2019 first gear pair is approximately 27% lower than the 2016 and Tubeworks 15% reduction is closer to 17%. My calculations very well could be wrong.
I can't find my info on what percentage drop the 2019 primary pair drop is but it must be less drop than the Tubeworks otherwise I would have gone the less expensive route. Overall I am happy with this combo but I have not driven other cars with other combos to compare.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I got it all out and splitting the case it will only come apart about half an inch and something sounds stuck inside. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got it shift lever shaft e clip.

Reactions: Barney

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To all that may plan on doing this. I used a 2inch PVC pipe in the press with a large socket around it for support. Worked well, did give some. Time for reassembly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay I might need some input here. I got the transmission back in but cannot seem to get the driveshafts to line up. The rear drive shaft is partly engaged but I cannot push on the rear diff anymore because it is stuck on the driver side rearward most mounting ear. It like shifted to the drivers side slightly. Have not messed with the front too much. I am considering dismantling the whole rear to get it back in there. Any tips or know how? Had my frustrated and had to step away.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts