Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to find information on if you can install the gearing from the 2019 yxz in the 2016 yxz 1000R with 3 pedals? Has anyone done this and if yes does it work well? I would love to gear mine down.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have not actually done this install, but I intended to a little while back. I did not do it because the '19 parts had poor availability and I wanted the bare minimum downtime as I rebuilt my transmission. I did research the difference between the two on the parts listings and it looks like it should be very doable and for reasonable cost. Part numbers that would need to be ordered:
Gear, Middle Driven B5H-17583-00-00
Gear, Middle Drive (23T) B5H-17582-00-00
Gear, First Pinion (15T) 2HC-17111-10-00
Gear, First Wheel (36T) 2HC-17211-10-00
Transfer Case B5H-17541-00-00

There is a thread on here that discusses this too, with one member saying he had accomplished it with just the gear changes and without changing the case. If the original case half can be used, then you avoid new bearings and associated seals or maybe you could just transfer those components to the new case as they are all the same part numbers. Maybe that member will respond to this thread. Total parts cost is around $220 for just the gears. Plus you'll likely want to move to bigger tires. Next time I split a case on either machine, I will make this mod. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Didn't realize someone confirmed swap was compatible. Also, you will need two gaskets(clutch cover & transmission) and SpeedoDRD (H3). The bigger case halves just use sealant.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but didn't you need the case half for the SS only? I seem remember reading that their was something different externally on the shift solenoid mounting. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information so far guys. does anyone remember the name of the post which discusses the gear swap?

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
https://www.yxztalk.com/forum/26-yxz-drivetrain/58150-2019-gear-reduction-vs-tw-45-15-11-a-4.html

Found it. Page 4 is where it starts to get relevant to this thread. The above info should be a repeat of what I have above, but I didn't confirm. Above is what I would have ordered and I was comparing 3 pedal versions so the case part number difference was real - at least at that time. I will definitely double check before I order anything just as anyone else out there should.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you, are you saying you need a case with a three peddle? I read the link you posted and did not see where you need a case.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm not sure I'm understanding you, are you saying you need a case with a three peddle? I read the link you posted and did not see where you need a case.
Yes, the member in the link did not identify the case as a difference. I found that difference in part numbers myself as I did my own comparison.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I read all the posts on the other thread. The only thing nobody has really confirmed that they have been ridding with the 2019 gears in a 2016 and if its worth it. Is the 4 gears the only thing which is needed to be ordered?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok so I read all the posts on the other thread. The only thing nobody has really confirmed that they have been ridding with the 2019 gears in a 2016 and if its worth it. Is the 4 gears the only thing which is needed to be ordered?
I guess you might have to be the first to actually accomplish this mod and report back. If I was going to do it, I would order the different case half, new bearings and seals, couple of gaskets, the gears identified earlier and on the '16, the 3rd and 5th gear wheel replacement, 99999-04317-00, and call it good. There are only a few other gears left to do a complete conversion to all the '19 gears, but not really necessary IMO. A heads up that the 99999-04317-00 part number actually gets you two gears , B57-17231-00 and B57-17251-00.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im just calculating the differences in ratios. does anyone know the tooth count on Gear, Middle Driven B5H-17583-00-00 for the 2019 and the tooth count on the 2016, 2HC-17583-00-00
GEAR, MIDDLE DRIVEN?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok got a price on the items required. 4 gears and 2 gaskets. $584.76 canadian + tax. 5 of the 6 parts are back ordered.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ok got a price on the items required. 4 gears and 2 gaskets. $584.76 canadian + tax. 5 of the 6 parts are back ordered.
Make that 3 total gaskets if you decide to change out the slave cylinder gasket. It should be salvageable, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Make that 3 total gaskets if you decide to change out the slave cylinder gasket. It should be salvageable, if I remember correctly.
There isn't really a reason to remove the slave cylinder as I recall.... Remember to order some ThreeBond liguid gasket for the two major case halves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've done two 2016 to 2019 swaps.
This is currently what I am running in both of my cars. (Ok ones the wife's lol but I do all the work) I only have one ride on this setup but really like the difference it made, but time will tell if I do an OD 5th or if it's good the way it is. 1st won't power out like it would before. This is just with 28s but I really feel like I could pull a little bigger tire (I prefer a lower center of gravity for 80% of the riding I do so 28s work really well ) but I did pick up some 30s tonight and definitely want to give them a go. Twice a year I go do some rough stuff that the stk gearing did but I definitely had to use my dirtbike experience to get the car going and keep it moving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No need for a case half with the 3 pedal. Not sure about the SS. I have about 500 miles on my 16' with the 19' gear set. Perfect in my opinion.
Don`t need the case half in the SS, either.Did the Yamaha gear swap in mine ,Sport Shift.Actually,pretty simple swap.Just the time and labor is the only thing.
Just waiting for the GSC control harness(in the SS only) from Tubeworks to finish it up.:joyous:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the reply's guys, so just to confirm you guys changed the 4 gears which are posted? Is there anything else required for the swap? I know 2 gaskets are required. how much difference is there in the first gear swap?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts