Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don`t need the case half in the SS, either.Did the Yamaha gear swap in mine ,Sport Shift.Actually,pretty simple swap.Just the time and labor is the only thing.
Just waiting for the GSC control harness(in the SS only) from Tubeworks to finish it up.:joyous:
So Tubeworks can configure the GSC control harness for the 2019 gears? I have the exact same machine as you.. Planning on doing the 2019 gear change but waiting for clarification on what the SS needs on top of the 3 pedal..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the gearing depends on where you ride. That and what power adders you have. I changed to the 19 gears. I'm going back to stock gears.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would do the clutch oil mod while you are in there. I did the tubeworks oil mod, new clutch, heavy spring, seals, gaskets, clips, sealer, also did the rear carrier, spline with cover and hess rear diff spline piece, while I was doing the trans easy in and out. Only thing I reget is not welding the driveline while It was apart. And balancing the front drivline. I didn't relize the wobble it had tell it was back in.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think the gearing depends on where you ride. That and what power adders you have. I changed to the 19 gears. I'm going back to stock gears.
Everything does depend on the situation, but I am surprised to hear you say that.... I was thinking that it was going to feel the same as before once you put on the bigger tires with some more bottom end torque. I wasn't even going to worry about speedo compensation as it was going to be close enough. What power adders do you have and where/how do you ride? Any details would be appreciated on why you didn't like it since I thought it would really be essentially the same machine with better bottom end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I changed the clutch plates I ended up drilling 20 holes in my clutch hub like the tubeworks oil mod and I doubled the clutch spring. I have 1000 km on it with no issues.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
When I changed the clutch plates I ended up drilling 20 holes in my clutch hub like the tubeworks oil mod and I doubled the clutch spring. I have 1000 km on it with no issues.
Pretty sure they also machine the case where a oil pressure passage is so it sprays the oil into the clutch hub. Your mod is bound to let in more oil also, good thinking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tubeworks also puts a cover at the end of the clutch hub to help with oiling. I just bought the yxz when I did the clutch and didn't want to spend more money. so far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Everything does depend on the situation, but I am surprised to hear you say that.... I was thinking that it was going to feel the same as before once you put on the bigger tires with some more bottom end torque. I wasn't even going to worry about speedo compensation as it was going to be close enough. What power adders do you have and where/how do you ride? Any details would be appreciated on why you didn't like it since I thought it would really be essentially the same machine with better bottom end.
I ride the trails in south Dakota and the sand dunes in Oklahoma.
I did the gytr turbo. With the Alba cams and tune. Even put ultra light flywheel on. For me the stock gearing worked. With Alba heavy flywheel in south Dakota. Just not enough power one time.
So reading this page. I switched gears while I installed everything else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So for who ever did the 2019 gear swap was there any machining the case? did the gears just drop in without anything being modded?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes.Configured to new 2019 specs is what they said.I would imagine is just plugging in the correct gear ratios in the controller box like you would do on a reflash.
Should have it Mon./Tues.
Sorry for the late reply.:smile-new:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Little Tip.
When you loosen the front diff. , pull out the grease zerks from the upper front a.arms. i destroy my boots with the zerks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks... Let us know how it goes..
Just got it FINALLY done tonight. Works great!! A little tedious installing the GSC harness.Not bad just have to take your time especially with the tiny orange wire you have to replace in the ECU connector plug.NOT much room to work!!
Ripped it around the block and it runs,works and shifts fine.
So for those of you that want to DIY with Yamaha parts on the Sport Shift.It can be done!!:smile-new::encouragement:
I think I`ll start a new thread from start to finish in case someone would like to go the same route.:D:cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just got it FINALLY done tonight. Works great!! A little tedious installing the GSC harness.Not bad just have to take your time especially with the tiny orange wire you have to replace in the ECU connector plug.NOT much room to work!!
Ripped it around the block and it runs,works and shifts fine.
So for those of you that want to DIY with Yamaha parts on the Sport Shift.It can be done!!:smile-new::encouragement:
I think I`ll start a new thread from start to finish in case someone would like to go the same route.:D:cool:
Glad it all works... A new thread would be great.. I know there was a few SS owners that wanted to do this and had the same questions as I did..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok guys went for an ATV mud run this weekend and lets just say the run was beyond ruff. rocks trees and mud. All i can say is impressed on how tuff the clutch was for the beating I gave it. I stacked 2 pressure plates and drilled the clutch hub with 20 holes to lubricate the friction disc and don't slip the clutch. anyways I am wondering if the 2019 gearing is low enough now that I see these things do not like mud unless you rev the crap out engine and dump the clutch. I don't plan on doing a run like that again but just making sure I am gearing low enough. How does the 2019 gearing turn the tires in the mud?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just trying to calculate the gear ratios that way i will know the difference between gear reductions. I am really bad for over researching stuff...lol here's what I found. 2016 1st gear drive is
17 teeth and driven 35 for a ratio of 2.06:1 and 2019 is drive gear 15 and 36 tooth for a ratio 2.4:1 which is 17% reduction in first gear. Now i am trying to figure out the difference between the middle drive gears but missing some numbers. I have drive gears which 2016 has 22 tooth and I counted the teeth on the parts image and came up with 41 tooth for a ratio of 1.86:1. I have the drive tooth for 2019 which is 23 tooth but do not have the count for driven. does anyone know the tooth count for this gear? Also I was trying to calculate the tubeworks 30% reduction if any one know those gear tooth counts would be great. Here's why. I was checking the different ratios to see if you could use the 30% TW with a 2019 yamaha 1st gear reduction. mix match the ratios and compared them to see the differences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Can anyone confirm the middle driven gear is 41 tooth on 2016? the reason I am saying this is that it gives me a ratio 1.86:1 now 2019 says 7% reduction which means it would be a ratio 1.99:1 and to get that ratio and going by the middle drive gear on the parts diagram is 23 so to get close to 1.99:1 means the middle driven gear would be 45 tooth which makes no sense because of diameter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Ok here's 1st gear ratio for different years

2016: 2.06:1
2019: 2.4:1
Yamaha torque assist kit 2.62:1
Just need to figure out the middle gear ratios, I know one which is:
Yamaha torque assist middle gear ratio: 2.43:1
2016?
2019?