Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experienced this same problem with their GYTR kit?

I just installed a GYTR turbo kit on my 2019 SS model and the engine stumbles and misses from about 3500 to 5000 rpm.

It starts fine, idles fine, and runs fine above 6000 rpm but has what sounds like an ignition miss (or a fuel problem) from about 3500 to 5000 rpm. It will do it in neutral while sitting still, but is worse when being driven. The only part that is different from the normal kit install is an aftermarket muffler.

It can't be a low quality fuel problem because it has 110 octane race gas, and I can't see it being a lean mixture problem because it does it in neutral as well as when being driven.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If Yamaha made it 49-state emissions compliant, there's your problem...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Yamaha made it 49-state emissions compliant, there's your problem...
You may be right but they are now 50 state compliant and as far as I was able to find out, the only difference was that they just got a California certification, no parts were changed. But who knows.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The government mandates are WAY too lean outside of WOT. They avoid blame by destroying engines slowly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Please keep us posted. I have a 2019 SS SE and I'm planning on adding the GYTR turbo kit. Hope the dealer fixes it!

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
It is likely tune related, and the fact that you changed the muffler and are running race gas is probably making it worse. The ECU mapping that GYTR provides in the ECU is specifically designed for a stock muffler. It will run leaner than intended with a free flowing muffler.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It is likely tune related, and the fact that you changed the muffler and are running race gas is probably making it worse. The ECU mapping that GYTR provides in the ECU is specifically designed for a stock muffler. It will run leaner than intended with a free flowing muffler.

Nate
Alba Racing
Thanks Nate.

I suspect that you will be correct.

I eliminated the potential fuel quality problem by trying 110 octane. The problem was just as bad with 91 octane as it was with the 110, in fact that is why I bought the 110 fuel; just to make sure it wasn't a poor fuel problem. Although my question is, would just a muffler change cause a lean problem even in neutral without a load on the engine?

I may need to go to your ECU GYTR turbo tune. In fact the other day when I came to your shop to pick up wheels, Fernando jokingly said "you will be back to get it." He may end up being correct.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Please keep us posted. I have a 2019 SS SE and I'm planning on adding the GYTR turbo kit. Hope the dealer fixes it!
Don’t worry, I plan to keep this thread going until it runs correctly.

Moreover, my grandson videoed most of the install and is going to put it on You Tube when he gets time to do it.

The kit is very complete, and has good instructions, but many of the pictures are too close to tell exactly where things need to go. An install video will be a big help for anyone doing it for the first time.

-------------------------

PS, the installation requires removing the radiator (and all the rear plastic), which is quite involved on a 2019 model. The kit's instructions says that you will also need a shop manual, which I had, but there were no instructions for removing the radiator. Therefore I did a write-up to help anyone watching the video. Since the video isn't available yet, I will send it via e mail to anyone who wants it; just send me a personal message requesting it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don’t worry, I plan to keep this thread going until it runs correctly, either by the dealer or by using an Alba GYTR ECU turbo tune.

Moreover, my grandson videoed most of the install and is going to put it on You Tube when he gets time to do it.

The kit is very complete, and has good instructions, but many of the pictures are too close to tell exactly where things need to go. An install video will be a big help for anyone doing it for the first time.

-------------------------

PS, the installation requires removing the radiator (and all the rear plastic), which is quite involved on a 2019 model. The kit's instructions says that you will also need a shop manual, which I had, but there were no instructions for removing the radiator. Therefore I did a write-up to help anyone watching the video. Since the video isn't available yet, I will send it via e mail to anyone who wants it; just send me a personal message requesting it.
Be sure to drop a link when it gets posted. I'd be interested in watching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Be sure to drop a link when it gets posted. I'd be interested in watching.
Will do.

This is the radiator removal procedure that will be in the video. This needs to be done in order to install the GYTR turbo kit. The Yamaha shop manual doesn't tell you how to do it, it only shows an exploded view which is very information lacking. Something like this would have been a BIG help so I am posting it for anyone else who plans to install the kit themselves.

------------------------------------------

Radiator & Rear Plastic Bodywork removal procedure
For a
2019 Yamaha YXZ 1000R

1. Drain coolant from engine and radiator.
2. Remove anything mounted on the rear cargo deck.
3. Unlatch and remove the center rear radiator cover (grey or blue plastic cover)
4. Unlatch and remove both the Right side dry sump oil tank cover and the Left side coolant recovery tank cover.
5. * Unbolt and remove both the Right and Left radiator side vents.
6. Unbolt and remove the plastic cargo deck floor.
7. Remove the upper & rearmost fender bolts (or just unbolt & remove both rear fenders).
8. Remove the passenger seat and slide driver’s seat forward.
9. Remove the bolts securing the cargo area side plastic panels to the fire wall behind each seat (one bolt on each side located behind each seat).
10. Wiggle, bend, twist, and remove the two cargo side plastic panels (they will come out).
11. Unbolt and remove the two metal cargo floor deck supports (mark RF & LF for re-assembly).
12. Remove the rear most cargo plastic piece (lift slightly and slide it straight back).
13. Unbolt and remove the remaining plastic under the cargo deck floor.
14. Remove the two upper bolts securing the plastic “behind the seats fire wall” to the metal upper radiator support (Note: this piece will need to be lifted up slightly in step #19 when removing the radiator).
15. Unclip the fan wires from the wiring harness (located on the right rear of the frame) and separate them from anything that would hang-up and prevent them from coming out with the radiator.
16. Separate the radiator hoses from the radiator; including the small tube to the coolant recovery tank.
17. Remove the bolts holding the upper radiator support to the frame (one on each side)
18. Remove the small clear plastic vent tube attached to each fan.
19. Radiator (with fans attached) should be able to rotate out from the top and lift out. Make sure that the fan wires do not hang up on anything when lifting it out. (Also see Note on step #14)

*For easier re-assembly: Keep the same fasteners, from each part removed, with the same parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It looks like Nate, at Alba Racing in Santee, CA, has finally figured out my mid range miss-stumble problem and corrected it.

A BIG THANKS TO ALBA RACING!

I haven't actually driven the car yet but when I picked it up he said it now pulls fine throughout the rpm range and is putting 162 HP to the rear wheels.......... As you can imagine, I am pleased ......... OBTW, it had premium 91 octane fuel in the tank so it did it on what is normally available at most gas stations.

Thanks again Nate!

P.S. Alba Nate; I hope are able to read this and also take the time out of, what appears to be a very busy schedule, to comment on what you guys actually needed to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It looks like Nate, at Alba Racing in El Cajon, CA, has finally figured out my mid range miss-stumble problem and corrected it.

A BIG THANKS TO ALBA RACING!

I haven't actually driven the car yet but when I picked it up he said it now pulls fine throughout the rpm range and is putting 162 HP to the rear wheels.......... As you can imagine, I am pleased ......... OBTW, it had premium 91 octane fuel in the tank so it did it on what is normally available at most gas stations.

Thanks again Nate!

P.S. Alba Nate; I hope are able to read this and also take the time out of, what appears to be a very busy schedule, to comment on what you guys actually needed to do.
That is great news Nate was able to figure out your mid range miss and correct it! Do you know what the cause was?

I can see why your pleased that's a great rear wheel HP number. Its going to be a blast to drive! What type of aftermarket muffler do you have installed and also did Nate turn up the boost at all on the new tune? I am wondering as I just picked up my 2019 yxz with the gytr turbo and I would like to install an exhaust on it and have it tuned by Nate at Alba as well.

Ken

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Hey guys. So the issue is that there is a lean spot in the non boost areas and then a jump into fueling for boost. This was creating a bit of a stumble. Also, the addition of the free flowing exhaust made the overall tune a bit on the lean side for my taste. We like to run these boosted applications on the rich side to keep them safe. Through the tuning of this car I did find out that GYTR made a supplier change with the 3 Bar MAP sensor they use in the kit. The new supplier is not willing to give me the MAP sensor data in order to scale it and make the correct adjustments I would like. Due to this we went back to the old suppliers MAP sensor since its data sheet is publicly available. The dyno results on this setup where very impressive and the car should be a blast to drive. We did not alter the boost level that the kit was supplied at and saw a max of about 6.5psi. Injector duty cycle is about at its limit and there are maybe a few pounds of boost left in it with some race gas added.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you Albanate for responding. I have a 19 car also and will be doing the GYTR turbo as well, so you have some customers coming your way to get things tuned properly! Glad you got it all figured out. Can't wait to hear from qualt on how much fun it is to drive!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys. So the issue is that there is a lean spot in the non boost areas and then a jump into fueling for boost. This was creating a bit of a stumble. Also, the addition of the free flowing exhaust made the overall tune a bit on the lean side for my taste. We like to run these boosted applications on the rich side to keep them safe. Through the tuning of this car I did find out that GYTR made a supplier change with the 3 Bar MAP sensor they use in the kit. The new supplier is not willing to give me the MAP sensor data in order to scale it and make the correct adjustments I would like. Due to this we went back to the old suppliers MAP sensor since its data sheet is publicly available. The dyno results on this setup where very impressive and the car should be a blast to drive. We did not alter the boost level that the kit was supplied at and saw a max of about 6.5psi. Injector duty cycle is about at its limit and there are maybe a few pounds of boost left in it with some race gas added.

Nate
Alba Racing
Nate if you have this tune saved would you be able to flash my ecu with the same tune if I install the original supplier's 3 Bar MAP sensor and aftermarket exhaust? I am still in the break-in process with my yxz1000r but once I complete this I would like to get it tuned so it runs optimally.

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is great news Nate was able to figure out your mid range miss and correct it! Do you know what the cause was?

..............What type of aftermarket muffler do you have installed and also did Nate turn up the boost at all on the new tune? Ken

You asked about the cause and Albanate has already answered it better than I could have. However, I can answer the muffler question; it is a Trinity Racing Stage 5, straight through muffler that I bought used. Before adding the Turbo it was too loud for my taste but with the Turbo it seems to be perfect.

I am amazed that Yamaha would sell a genuine Yamaha turbo kit that runs so poorly in mid range............. and on top of that has a MSRP of $5500.

Therefore, at least from my experience, anyone buying a GYTR Turbo kit, for their 2019 model, should consider adding an Alba Racing tune right from the start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
………………………….Can't wait to hear from qualt on how much fun it is to drive!
I am bringing the car back to my desert place tomorrow so, God willing, I can give you a report when I get back.

The terrain is mostly hard desert with a few sand washes, hills and one small sand dune area, so I won't be able to give a big dune paddle tire report yet, but that's the best I will be able to do for now.

1 - 19 of 62 Posts