Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 41 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread (admin please delete if off topic) but I signed up just for this info. I was a subaru guy for years and am genuinely curious why GYTR chose this turbo set up. Nate it sounds like you have tons of experience here. Why did yamaha chose an almost 30 yr old turbo design for a 2019 car? GT series (disco potato) 2860rs (that comes in the GYTR kit) is an 80's design. the GTX turbos were launched in 2009 ish and last year the new G series turbos were available. Each series from GT-GTX-G series were big leaps in performance and efficiency and reliability. (esp the latest G series) https://motoiq.com/garrett-g-series-turbochargers-the-most-powerful-small-frame-turbos-on-the-market/
(moto IQ always has some good articles btw)
Not looking for more power per say, but having driven both GT and GTX cars the earlier spool and better transient response of the newer turbo was really really evident and it seems like it would be even more so with the latest G series turbos.

The GT2860 is ~$800

While the new G series replacement is ~$2000

https://www.full-race.com/store/garrett-turbos/garrett-gt-turbos/garrett-gt2860rs-turbo-aka-disco-potato/

I also realize that my experience coming from heavy cars where max hp was found around ~5k rpm does not necessarily apply to a light 3 cyl that revs to ~10k...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
.....................…. Can't wait to hear from qualt on how much fun it is to drive!
Just got back from the desert and my report is now totally positive. The car performed well in all areas and had more than enough power for anything I wanted to do, in fact, on the hard pack dirt in two wheel drive, it now actually has too much power, it is all over the road. 4WD is a must for Full throttle but even then you better have it pointed exactly where you want to go. The big dunes will probably be be a different story but in the hard desert you really can't use any more power for a car this light and with this short of a wheel base.

Therefore, if you have a 2019 YXZ, and can afford to install a GYTR turbo kit, do it, you won't be disappointed ....... however, if your kit, like mine, comes with a MAP sensor that causes mid range drivability problems, you will need an additional Alba Racing tune to make it run right.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am ordering my GYTR Turbo kit tonight from ALBA....I also got to talk with ALBA Nate today... Reminded him that he is a legend and that my pocket book is hurting. All of this is because after driving my buddies Turbo'd 19 I was like what have you done to me.......
I now blame my buddy for my turbo purchase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let us know the availability on the turbo, I emailed alba a couple weeks ago and they said the 2019 GYTR kits are on backorder till next month. Hopefully they are shipping faster rather then later.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am planning the turbo as well for my 19. What else are you planning to install on the build? You going with the GYTR tune or having Alba tune it? Exhaust? I'm trying to budget or at least get a starting number, HA!
I am ordering my GYTR Turbo kit tonight from ALBA....I also got to talk with ALBA Nate today... Reminded him that he is a legend and that my pocket book is hurting. All of this is because after driving my buddies Turbo'd 19 I was like what have you done to me.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
What the heck! I talked to Nate on Friday and he said he they were on back order and to order the kit from my dealer since he doesn't make any money selling it. My dealer put in an order for me but didn't know when they would be available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys. So the issue is that there is a lean spot in the non boost areas and then a jump into fueling for boost. This was creating a bit of a stumble. Also, the addition of the free flowing exhaust made the overall tune a bit on the lean side for my taste. We like to run these boosted applications on the rich side to keep them safe. Through the tuning of this car I did find out that GYTR made a supplier change with the 3 Bar MAP sensor they use in the kit. The new supplier is not willing to give me the MAP sensor data in order to scale it and make the correct adjustments I would like. Due to this we went back to the old suppliers MAP sensor since its data sheet is publicly available. The dyno results on this setup where very impressive and the car should be a blast to drive. We did not alter the boost level that the kit was supplied at and saw a max of about 6.5psi. Injector duty cycle is about at its limit and there are maybe a few pounds of boost left in it with some race gas added.

Nate
Alba Racing

Just got my Turbo kit, it came with a GAP innovations MAP sensor. Is that the company that is not sharing sensor data?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Let us know the availability on the turbo, I emailed alba a couple weeks ago and they said the 2019 GYTR kits are on backorder till next month. Hopefully they are shipping faster rather then later.
My Turbo will be in my hands this Wednesday... Thank you Jonathan and Nate

·
Registered
250 Posts
Will do.

This is the radiator removal procedure that will be in the video. This needs to be done in order to install the GYTR turbo kit. The Yamaha shop manual doesn't tell you how to do it, it only shows an exploded view which is very information lacking. Something like this would have been a BIG help so I am posting it for anyone else who plans to install the kit themselves.

------------------------------------------

Radiator & Rear Plastic Bodywork removal procedure
For a
2019 Yamaha YXZ 1000R

1. Drain coolant from engine and radiator.
2. Remove anything mounted on the rear cargo deck.
3. Unlatch and remove the center rear radiator cover (grey or blue plastic cover)
4. Unlatch and remove both the Right side dry sump oil tank cover and the Left side coolant recovery tank cover.
5. * Unbolt and remove both the Right and Left radiator side vents.
6. Unbolt and remove the plastic cargo deck floor.
7. Remove the upper & rearmost fender bolts (or just unbolt & remove both rear fenders).
8. Remove the passenger seat and slide driver’s seat forward.
9. Remove the bolts securing the cargo area side plastic panels to the fire wall behind each seat (one bolt on each side located behind each seat).
10. Wiggle, bend, twist, and remove the two cargo side plastic panels (they will come out).
11. Unbolt and remove the two metal cargo floor deck supports (mark RF & LF for re-assembly).
12. Remove the rear most cargo plastic piece (lift slightly and slide it straight back).
13. Unbolt and remove the remaining plastic under the cargo deck floor.
14. Remove the two upper bolts securing the plastic “behind the seats fire wall” to the metal upper radiator support (Note: this piece will need to be lifted up slightly in step #19 when removing the radiator).
15. Unclip the fan wires from the wiring harness (located on the right rear of the frame) and separate them from anything that would hang-up and prevent them from coming out with the radiator.
16. Separate the radiator hoses from the radiator; including the small tube to the coolant recovery tank.
17. Remove the bolts holding the upper radiator support to the frame (one on each side)
18. Remove the small clear plastic vent tube attached to each fan.
19. Radiator (with fans attached) should be able to rotate out from the top and lift out. Make sure that the fan wires do not hang up on anything when lifting it out. (Also see Note on step #14)

*For easier re-assembly: Keep the same fasteners, from each part removed, with the same parts.
How long did the Turbo install take?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been working on my turbo for a week on and off as I have time. Kit instructions say ten hours. I'd plan on at least that amount of time. It will probably take me more but I am taking my time.

Be very careful with the turbo oil adapter that threads into the top motor. Even with the correct torque settings I broke mine and had to order a replacement and that has cost me some time. I wasn't even near the torque setting when it broke off. I think the adapter they provide is not the best quality and mine may have been defective.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been working on my turbo for a week on and off as I have time. Kit instructions say ten hours. I'd plan on at least that amount of time. It will probably take me more but I am taking my time.

Be very careful with the turbo oil adapter that threads into the top motor. Even with the correct torque settings I broke mine and had to order a replacement and that has cost me some time. I wasn't even near the torque setting when it broke off. I think the adapter they provide is not the best quality and mine may have been defective.
Does anyone have a reference to this oil adapter part? I will be ordering my GYTR kit and it seems with all the trouble everyone has had with that part I should just get the replacement now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How long did the Turbo install take?
10 hrs is not realistic for someone doing it the first time. I could probably do it in 10 hrs now that I have done it once, but to be realistic I would consider 15 to 20 hrs for a first time install. Heck just un-boxing everything and checking to see if everything is there will take a couple of hrs. Moreover, even though the instructions are quite complete, most of the pictures are too close to tell exactly where everything goes; that in itself will add to the time factor. So to answer your question, allow at least 15 hrs to complete the job, and don't be surprised if it takes much longer than that...….. OBTW, I added the radiator removal procedure earlier, but the GYTR instructions state that you also need to remove the front plastic bodywork to install the heat exchanger (small radiator) for the intercooler. I only removed enough stuff to lift the front plastic up instead of removing everything. You can do it any way you want but that worked for me, and saved some time too. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
10 hrs is not realistic for someone doing it the first time. I could probably do it in 10 hrs now that I have done it once, but to be realistic I would consider 15 to 20 hrs for a first time install. Heck just un-boxing everything and checking to see if everything is there will take a couple of hrs. Moreover, even though the instructions are quite complete, most of the pictures are too close to tell exactly where everything goes; that in itself will add to the time factor. So to answer your question, allow at least 15 hrs to complete the job, and don't be surprised if it takes much longer than that...….. OBTW, I added the radiator removal procedure earlier, but the GYTR instructions state that you also need to remove the front plastic bodywork to install the heat exchanger (small radiator) for the intercooler. I only removed enough stuff to lift the front plastic up instead of removing everything. You can do it any way you want but that worked for me, and saved some time too. Hope that helps.
Qualt,
Thank you for the instructions I will definitely be referencing them for my install. The front end technique sounds like the way to go

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anyone have a reference to this oil adapter part? I will be ordering my GYTR kit and it seems with all the trouble everyone has had with that part I should just get the replacement now.
Here is what I ordered

Russell 670380 ADAPTER FITTING https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00718WNLS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Is that fitting a male adapter that comes off the turbo and attaches to a oil line going to the turbo? Wonder if a stainless would do better, they would have a smaller nut.
Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is that fitting a male adapter that comes off the turbo and attaches to a oil line going to the turbo? Wonder if a stainless would do better, they would have a smaller nut.
Thanks for posting the link.
It comes bolts into the motor near the throttle bodies for the oil supply to the turbo. Stainless would be nice if I could find one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is what I ordered

Russell 670380 ADAPTER FITTING https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00718WNLS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Poison Factory and Zilla,
Would you recommend me buying that fitting from Summit? The first link is for Amazon-Russel fitting,
Thanks. I also live near American hose and fitting, Its a specialty store with many types of fittings, AN to hydraulic to pneumatics etc. readily available.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Poison Factory and Zilla,
Would you recommend me buying that fitting from Summit? The first link is for Amazon-Russel fitting,
Thanks. I also live near American hose and fitting, Its a specialty store with many types of fittings, AN to hydraulic to pneumatics etc. readily available.
I don't have the kit yet, but it seems to me either the supplied adapter is defective or the torque spec is wrong since this isn't a isolated incident. Russel fittings are some of the best out there, so I would use one if it fits. When I get my kit in hand and see where this fitting goes I'll use a Russel fitting to replace it, if there's not a issue with the size of the nut. I would also call Russel and get them to give me a torque on the fitting also.

21 - 41 of 59 Posts