Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Poison Factory and Zilla,
Would you recommend me buying that fitting from Summit? The first link is for Amazon-Russel fitting,
Thanks. I also live near American hose and fitting, Its a specialty store with many types of fittings, AN to hydraulic to pneumatics etc. readily available.
Don't buy the Russel the nut is too large. I used the summit fitting and it worked. I torqued it to 5ft-lb instead of 10 and used loctite 592 thread sealant. Even at 5ft-lb I was worried it was going to break. I think 10ft-lb is way to much. The original fitting is stainless steel, and I believe the summit is aluminum. I would prefer a good stainless. I am going to the dealer today to get a OEM replacement in case I need one. I am going to try and talk to the Yamaha Rep and bring up this issue. Seems like they need to supply a higher quality part. I will also search around for a better one. This is a weak point in the system. If that fitting breaks you will lose oil pressure and could lose the motor. I am thinking of installing a oil pressure gauge on this line. Has anyone done that? Does the yxz have any oil pressure fail safes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have the kit yet, but it seems to me either the supplied adapter is defective or the torque spec is wrong since this isn't a isolated incident. Russel fittings are some of the best out there, so I would use one if it fits. When I get my kit in hand and see where this fitting goes I'll use a Russel fitting to replace it, if there's not a issue with the size of the nut. I would also call Russel and get them to give me a torque on the fitting also.
The Russel fitting threads in but you can't get a socket on it due to clearance issues. I used the summit with the smaller nut, but I liked the Russell fitting and would have used it if i could have.

Reactions: Zilla

·
Registered
88 Posts
I talked to the dealer today. He sent a picture of the broken fitting to the local rep. I asked them for a new fitting and to verify torque requirement. I'll let you know if I get any feedback.

Reactions: WAYXZ

·
Registered
88 Posts
The dealer talked to the local rep today about the oil fitting. Rep says they are in the process of changing the required torque to 8.4ft-lb for this part. Seems like a random number. Apparently they are aware of a problem. They are sending me a replacement part. Hopefully they are changing suppliers.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Don't buy the Russel the nut is too large. I used the summit fitting and it worked. I torqued it to 5ft-lb instead of 10 and used loctite 592 thread sealant. Even at 5ft-lb I was worried it was going to break. I think 10ft-lb is way to much. The original fitting is stainless steel, and I believe the summit is aluminum. I would prefer a good stainless. I am going to the dealer today to get a OEM replacement in case I need one. I am going to try and talk to the Yamaha Rep and bring up this issue. Seems like they need to supply a higher quality part. I will also search around for a better one. This is a weak point in the system. If that fitting breaks you will lose oil pressure and could lose the motor. I am thinking of installing a oil pressure gauge on this line. Has anyone done that? Does the yxz have any oil pressure fail safes?
Like a low pressure shut-down, like a $200 lawn mower might have... ahhh NO, you burn down!
Weller sells a piece that goes between your oil filter and block, it has two threaded ports on it that you can run a pressure gauge off of, that's what I did. Alba also makes a similar product.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Like a low pressure shut-down, like a $200 lawn mower might have... ahhh NO, you burn down!
Weller sells a piece that goes between your oil filter and block, it has two threaded ports on it that you can run a pressure gauge off of, that's what I did. Alba also makes a similar product.
Is there a reason you went with the Weller vs Alba oil pressure adapter? Alba is half the price.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Is there a reason you went with the Weller vs Alba oil pressure adapter? Alba is half the price.
No, not really. I don't think Alba had theirs to market yet when I made the purchase. I'm pretty sure Alba's only has one external port and Weller's has two, one for the gauge and one for a dummy light, in my case. I got it with a fairly good sized order from Weller's at the time. I personally also still think Weller's unit is a bit neater package, but that's just me.
If you have the Alba and need a second port you could always run a tee fitting also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The dealer talked to the local rep today about the oil fitting. Rep says they are in the process of changing the required torque to 8.4ft-lb for this part. Seems like a random number. Apparently they are aware of a problem. They are sending me a replacement part. Hopefully they are changing suppliers.
I'm not trying to be funny but why do you even need to torque a small oil fitting like that? I've been wrenching on things for well over 50 years and I can't remember ever torquing an oil fitting. Just put some thread sealing Teflon tape on it (or some other sealer) and tighten it snug. It won't leak and it can't come loose once the braded oil line is attached. I don't remember if the Yamaha instructions had a recommended torque for it but if so I just ignored it. Nothing broke and after several hundred miles of hard use, nothing leaks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not trying to be funny but why do you even need to torque a small oil fitting like that? I've been wrenching on things for well over 50 years and I can't remember ever torquing an oil fitting. Just put some thread sealing Teflon tape on it (or some other sealer) and tighten it snug. It won't leak and it can't come loose once the braded oil line is attached. I don't remember if the Yamaha instructions had a recommended torque for it but if so I just ignored it. Nothing broke and after several hundred miles of hard use, nothing leaks.
I see your point, however, snug to you might be different than snug to me and so on but is the same for a calibrated torque wrench. For a small fitting I think having a spec is critical so you don't over torque/snug it. I think the problem is more with the quality of the fitting. Mine broke before I even got to what I believe is snug. You can see the defect in the material where it sheered off. For most wrenching I agree that snug typically works out perfectly well and sometimes we overthink things. The instructions should include the use of thread tape or 592 thread sealant. You are also correct about once the braided line is connected it can't lossen, I had the same thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished installIng gytr turbo kit on my 2019 ss se doing first test runs after install and when I’m wide open throttle it surges really bad? If I back the throttle off a Little bit it goes back to power and pulls hard.
Does anybody have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished installIng gytr turbo kit on my 2019 ss se doing first test runs after install and when I’m wide open throttle it surges really bad? If I back the throttle off a Little bit it goes back to power and pulls hard.
Does anybody have any ideas what this could be?
I just finished my install on 2020 ss having the same problem. Did you get yours fixed? I just ordered a ecu from Alba hope this fixes it. $5500 just to spend another $400 on tune kinda sux if you ask me. If I had someone close I would do a dyno tune

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2020 SS Se and having the same problems. i have the Alba tune set at 10 PSI with the stage 2. i was wondering did you have to recap your plugs or replace them? Im running VP C12 race gas. i live in South Carolina so i just can't just stop in to the shop for a fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance Semper Fi

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 2020 SS Se and having the same problems. i have the Alba tune set at 10 PSI with the stage 2. i was wondering did you have to recap your plugs or replace them? Im running VP C12 race gas. i live in South Carolina so i just can't just stop in to the shop for a fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance Semper Fi
I didn’t find anything out I put 4 miles on mine and the engine blew up now taking it in tomorrow and the fight begins to see if they will fix it or not. 😡

·
Registered
2021 SS SE
49 Posts
I just finished my install on 2020 ss having the same problem. Did you get yours fixed? I just ordered a ecu from Alba hope this fixes it. $5500 just to spend another $400 on tune kinda sux if you ask me. If I had someone close I would do a dyno tune
How much are the ECU maps from Alba?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts