Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guy's and gals. Started on a project to modify my 2019 stock cage. So far have cut out all brackets and cut and fit 90% of all the new tubes. Still have to add front intrusion bars.All new tube is .120 wall 1 3/4 .As far as I can tell stock cage is .080 wall. Yes to all the nay sayers I know this is not ideal,however I don't have $1500 to spend on a cage.Only into this about $150 for materials and my labor,which is pretty cheap. Lol View attachment 114994 View attachment 114994
20191130_121258.jpg

·
Registered
999 Posts
Major improvement over stock . Good job . From all the pictures of crashed stock cages and the ones I have seen in person the main concern to me is that without the cross bracing it seems that stock cages tend to fold inward on you .

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Good job, I assume you just haven't gotten to it yet but most importantly get that A-pillar beefed up. Position the cross brace from A - A , as close to the bung as you can get it, this is the major soft spot that starts everything folding back, and the front intrusion bars will help greatly. And remember, short drops aren't scrap, they're gussets, tie them corners in. Good luck and great project.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wish I had the skills and equipment to do that! Hard to cough up the bucks for the aftermarket cages when you just put out the money for the YXZ and a trailer. Nice work!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I had the skills and equipment to do that! Hard to cough up the bucks for the aftermarket cages when you just put out the money for the YXZ and a trailer. Nice work!
Yeah I know what you mean. Been bleeding money since we bought this in April. Wife is not amused. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job, I assume you just haven't gotten to it yet but most importantly get that A-pillar beefed up. Position the cross brace from A - A , as close to the bung as you can get it, this is the major soft spot that starts everything folding back, and the front intrusion bars will help greatly. And remember, short drops aren't scrap, they're gussets, tie them corners in. Good luck and great project.
Yep,just haven't got that far yet,going to a buddys to finish it up,he has a tubing bender that is .needed for that cross bar. He is also going to weld it up for me. I can stick metal together,but I'm no welder.Haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Major improvement over stock . Good job . From all the pictures of crashed stock cages and the ones I have seen in person the main concern to me is that without the cross bracing it seems that stock cages tend to fold inward on you .
I've only seen one 2019 that was folded up, It looked better then all the 17-18s I have seen,but still didn't look good. Trying to add to this cage In a well thought out design to handle the forces from a crash.Big concern is the A pillar and the .080 wall main factory tubes.

·
Registered
999 Posts
  • You will be far better than stock . Yes that .080 wall is scary it crushes and folds . You really get an idea oh how light gauge it is when you pick up the stock cage and move around compared an after market one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts