Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 2019 and have heard there might be overheating issues with the rear radiator being enclosed and not getting enough air. This problem is only in the sand dunes. Anyone?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ran my 2019 in Glamis since New years, just ran the Baja 500 in mexico, no issue at all with overheating, much better cooling capacity than the prior model years.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
1600 miles on my 2019, no overheating issues at all. Yamaha claims that you cannot overheat it, 300% more airflow than previous generation models. Dual fans!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy in a new 19 running St. Anthony dunes with 2 older yxzs had overheating problems the whole weekend. Maybe a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My cousin has the 19 ss se with the gytr turbo. He had his windshield down and was pulling a slight grade for 6 miles or so. Average speed of 65. It started beeping at him. No limp mode or anything just the warning that he is to close to complete over heating. He put the windshield up and has had no more issues. Yesterday we rode hard for 50 miles in 90 degrees with no issues. He only had 300 miles on it at the time. We also have been at sand mountian utah or little Sahara, since then with no issues. We are hoping it was just the new machine getting broken in. Time will tell. Og yxz still has had 0 issues.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My cousin has the 19 ss se with the gytr turbo. He had his windshield down and was pulling a slight grade for 6 miles or so. Average speed of 65. It started beeping at him. No limp mode or anything just the warning that he is to close to complete over heating. He put the windshield up and has had no more issues. Yesterday we rode hard for 50 miles in 90 degrees with no issues. He only had 300 miles on it at the time. We also have been at sand mountian utah or little Sahara, since then with no issues. We are hoping it was just the new machine getting broken in. Time will tell. Og yxz still has had 0 issues.
Wouldn’t the window being up create heating problems since it’s blocking air flow to back?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Putting the window up letting more air threw the cab into the front ducts as well as the rear. He reminded me that it was after are sand Mt utah trip. And he was pushing the machine way harder with no issues there. So really we are confused as well. 300 miles since then with no issues. Ill report if it happens again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wouldn’t the window being up create heating problems since it’s blocking air flow to back?
his window is always on so window up means folds up on the roof. Sorry

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2019 runs a little hotter and heat in the cab with stock folding windshield down. It was not well thought out for the money they get for it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
1800 miles on my 2019, have the folding windshield and no issues related to overheating at all. The fan does not run that often. The heat in the cab in minimal compared to my 2016 with the windshield down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1800 miles on my 2019, have the folding windshield and no issues related to overheating at all. The fan does not run that often. The heat in the cab in minimal compared to my 2016 with the windshield down.
Finally got to put a few miles in. Overheated quickly with sustained speeds above 75. Took it to my local dealer and they hadn’t heard of it happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got to put a few miles in. Overheated quickly with sustained speeds above 75. Took it to my local dealer and they hadn’t heard of it happening.
Did anyone figure anything out on this? My 19 with windshields overheats 55MPH and above. 1st dealer blamed it on windshields called a 2nd dealer they said the same. Currently at a 3rd dealer waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So they're blaming it on a genuine tested and proven Yamaha accessory? I think I'd have an issue with that. In all the propaganda of the 2019s, it specifically says the intake on the underside of the bed (facing the rear) would be a big factor in additional cooling. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have 3700 miles on my 2019 now, I did have one incident with the factory windshield down going 65mph at high altitude for a sustained period of time. I stopped, lifted up the windshield and off we went. I have been watching the temp gauge since this incident, and no issues with the front windshield up or down. I do have my rear windshield up all the time, with colder weather it will be coming down soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 1600 miles on my GTYR Turbo 19 RSE and have not had any overheating issues. We ride hard and wide open every chance we get and not ever has our pack of YXZ's overheated or beeped at us. The windshield in my opinion will cause airflow issues as the air flows through the cab, into the scoop and over top of the radiator and also has theopenng in the rear where the fans can pull air through. The fans pull air through the radiator and blow toward the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine has only thrown a light once. i start pedaling it at 230. mine will climb fast if i dont get out of it..

I aslo talked to the dealer today. they are awaiting response from yamaha

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 19 has been great, ever since I figured out that only one of my fans was working. I only run a half windshield though, and my fans are programmed to come on 10 degrees earlier.
With two working fans I’d be shocked if it could overheat considering how fast the temp drops when they kick on.
I hope you get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts