Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 19 has been great, ever since I figured out that only one of my fans was working. I only run a half windshield though, and my fans are programmed to come on 10 degrees earlier.
With two working fans I’d be shocked if it could overheat considering how fast the temp drops when they kick on.
I hope you get it figured out.
To add to my previous post, I too discovered that only one of my fans was turning on, i wasn't able to find the cause of this and worked with ALBA to find a solution, I just ended up jumping the signal wire to my fan #1 and fan #2 relays to get both fans to turn on a t the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Dealer called yesterday. They talked with yamaha and they have no answer for me. Dealer did everything yamaha techs said. So i picked it up today. I ran it down the road to see if it will still over heat in the colder weather.. it rached 220. took it home switched the fan wires. so the fan pushes. and i can run flat footed down the road at 80mph and no issues

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good job figuring it out for yourself!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 19 with roof and windshield has a gap on bottom. About 7 in from bottom windshield to body runs cool. Have only 600 miles on it speeds not over 40 . As on tight trails temp outside 60 to 75

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 19 overheated this weekend on a wide open sand run between glamis and gordons well. I am missing the center scoop piece which blew out on the freeway on the trailer. It seems like sustained speeds over 60mph creates a dead zone where the fans cant pull air fast enough. I let off and temps came immediately back down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 19 has been great, ever since I figured out that only one of my fans was working. I only run a half windshield though, and my fans are programmed to come on 10 degrees earlier.
With two working fans I’d be shocked if it could overheat considering how fast the temp drops when they kick on.
I hope you get it figured out.
How did you figure that out? I think only one of mine works too, but I just assumed the one was programmed to come on at a higher temp? Any way to test it? Unplug one fan?

·
Registered
373 Posts
So they're blaming it on a genuine tested and proven Yamaha accessory? I think I'd have an issue with that. In all the propaganda of the 2019s, it specifically says the intake on the underside of the bed (facing the rear) would be a big factor in additional cooling. Let us know what you find out.
There are no intake under the bed (facing rear).

The intake is not on the underside. The intake is the scoop and the rear facing side vents but they are on sides of radiator above the bed. The fans pull air through from the radiator and expels it under the bed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are no intake under the bed (facing rear).

The intake is not on the underside. The intake is the scoop and the rear facing side vents but they are on sides of radiator above the bed. The fans pull air through from the radiator and expels it under the bed.
Not according to Yamaha.
It draws air from the scoop between seats and under the rear deck, air is expelled through the rear facing side vents.
  1. Yamaha states that the intake under the rear deck is to counter the reduced airflow from using a windshield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How did you figure that out? I think only one of mine works too, but I just assumed the one was programmed to come on at a higher temp? Any way to test it? Unplug one fan?
It was at the connector. One of the tabs was bent, and not making a connection. The first time I checked it, I thought it was fine. Worth a double check, if you've already inspected them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not according to Yamaha.
It draws air from the scoop between seats and under the rear deck, air is expelled through the rear facing side vents.
  1. Yamaha states that the intake under the rear deck is to counter the reduced airflow from using a windshield.
What would you call the intake under the deck ? There are no openings under deck except the fans/fan shroud.

The fans shroud covers the entire radiator from the bottom side and the fans pull air from top side down through the radiator.. The intake scoop and the rear facing side vents are all on the topside of the radiator so those are both inlets. When fans are not running it is possible the scoop in middle of radiator is blowing down and the rear facing vents could be pulling air through them but it appears most likely everything pulls in from top and goes out the bottom.
When fans kick on it sure as heck pulls air in through the scoop and in through the rear facing side vents.

The scoop and rear facing side vents are inlets. Every thing comes in the top and is expelled under the car. When fans are off it is any bodies guess as possible the side vents could pull air rearward through them and expel air. Once the fans hit it is all inlets on top no question about that.
Take a look at fan shroud. Covers entire underside of radiator and they are pulling air down through the radiator.

My Dealer called yesterday. They talked with yamaha and they have no answer for me. Dealer did everything yamaha techs said. So i picked it up today. I ran it down the road to see if it will still over heat in the colder weather.. it rached 220. took it home switched the fan wires. so the fan pushes. and i can run flat footed down the road at 80mph and no issues
Is that while not using the scoop ? Seems with fans reversed and scoop in place they will be fighting each other.
The fans move a lot less air in reverse than the normal factory direction. The blades are directional.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2019yxzssse, all I know, is that that is what Yamaha stated.....my manual states it as well.
According to Yamaha and the manual, the cooling system has 2 inlets, the scoop between seats, and the opening under the rear deck. The exits are the 2 rear facing vents on the sides of the grey radiator scoop cover.
Doesn't make much sense really to me either, but that's what both Yamaha and the manual say. There are many youtube videos that say this same thing, but that's not from the mfg, so.......

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just went through owners manual to try and find and understand what you read. Could not find where it say's what does what with the cooling scoop/vents.

Could you please help me find the page that states this. Curious why they say it. If I could read it maybe it would make more sense.

Surely when those fans kick on and pull air through the bottom of the entire radiator then we are 100% certain anything on the top side is the intakes. The scoop and side vents are on top side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm still looking for my stinking manual......grrrr
I know what you're saying, it doesnt make a lot of sense to me either.
Soon as I find it, I'll let you know where I read the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gave up and found manual online......says nothing that I can find now......so now I'm not sure where I read that.
I can say my dealer specifically stated it was an intake, I questioned him same as your questioning.....he insisted that it was so you could run a windshield and not block all airflow.
He also specifically stated the 2 side vents were exhausts, but like you......it makes no sense to me.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to actually go and check mine over and see if I can actually verify airflow directions and intake vs exhaust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Take a feather and place it next to the areas your referring. If it gets sucked into the screen, it's sucking. If it gets blown away, it's blowing. This is not an 'R' rated post.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe it is possible before fans come on that the tunnel area especially when the scoop is on and pushing air under that it may force the air through the fans/shroud backwards and out those vents
-or-
the air from the scoop never really pushes everything through the radiator and it just goes out the rear facing vents without doing anything. I am guessing the latter.

The scoop is pumping positive pressure on top of radiator. Those rear facing vents are most likely less resistance than going though the radiator against the air coming in the tunnel so it does nothing but come in the scoop and out the vents accomplishing nothing..

Once them two huge fans come on there is no question scoop and side vents are inlets. They have to be. There on top fans are on bottom pulling down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, I took mine apart a little bit investigate.
This is what I found.......
They're all intakes.
Everything is pulled in through the scoop between seats, the rear facing side vents and the spot under the deck.
The grey cover has a divider that acts as a splitter, forcing approximately 1/3 of the air drawn from fans come through the top scoop, and another 1/3 comes through the rear under deck inlet. The last 1/3 is drawn through the 2 rear facing side vents.
Very interesting set up.
It appears to me that, ALL the exhausted air is just blown down over top of engine area.
I believe the design of the grey scoop dividers is to possibly help limit the amount of air forced through to try to maintain constant radiator temp......kind of like when the big rigs put the covers over their grills in winter.
If you cut the divider off the grey scoop, the entire back of radiator is open and an intake.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts