Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have 2200 miles now on my 2019 ss se With full windshield and have seen higher temps (220-234) when running sustained speeds over 68 mph so I made some modifications. Taking it out this weekend and will see if these mods were worth the effort.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know they can run to 10.5. But at 8 grand if long runs . At that rpm you won't need worry about overheating. Engine life short lived. My 19 at 40 mph I think 5 grand don't remember. At 4 grand that is where it will last forever. That is my only complaint I wish I could buy overdrive for this ss. Bigger tires I won't do who has overdrive?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got to put a few miles in. Overheated quickly with sustained speeds above 75. Took it to my local dealer and they hadn’t heard of it happening.
I overheated my 2021 in about 3 miles at 65mph with windshield. I may have to return it to dealer as it is completely useless to me like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The machine is at dealership now. I'm sure they will have no fix as others have stated. It has factory Yamaha windshield and rear windshield. Literally a vacuum inside cab over 55mph. If you hold a cloth in front of the radiator snorkel it moves toward the windshield sucking air upwards through the radiator and it gets HOT inside. Then fans kick on and temp climbs like a monkey up a tree being chased by a lion. Basically the fan is creating a nuetral airflow. Terrible design flaw.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is no fix from Yamaha when your factory windshield is down and you sustain higher speeds for any period of time. I have since sold my 2019, I am glad I don't have to worry about this one anymore. It is nice to have the heat removed, but when that alarm goes off due to overheating -- it is a small panic if you are aways from your tow vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually returned mine to the dealership and they refunded my money. Yamaha admitted the problem to the dealer and stated it is due to the accessories and riding style. NO FIX offered. Basically a tough chit. Sad day for Yamaha in my opinion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow I guess I should just be ok with the heat in the cabin of my 2016. It could be worse I guess, with a 19 I’d have a hot cabin and a hot engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 19 with a full aftermarket windshield and have run it bouncing of the Rev limiter across the dunes all day(90-110° ambient temp) and never had any problems with heat, other than in the cabin when the fans kick on. Factory setting is 212°f for the fans to kick on. After talking to Alba Racing and some others, I was told the Yxz1000r runs lean from the factory, which could contribute to running a bit hotter than they should. I always thought mine felt and seemed to run lean and didn't like it....made me nervous. Also the fans not kicking on until 212° didn't seem right. But after talking to Alba about their much-needed spark arrestor upgrade, I was told that I would definitely need the ecu reflashed to run a little richer. So, I had the Alba reflash done and got the high flow spark arrestor from them also. Best money spent yet on my yxz1000r! Runs and sounds soooo much better, it's what it should be like from the factory IMO. That stock spark was so restricting, my motor can really breathe Now! I no longer feel like I'm going to blow the motor up running 10k+ rpms for long periods of time through the sandy whoops out in the dunes and hitting Rev limiter flying through the air after launching of the top of a dunes. Also, the reflash turns the fans on at 190° instead of 212° which is only a good thing, also raises Rev limiter a bit.......I Iove it! The flash does alot of other stuff also and it only takes 2-3 days to get back to your door after they receive it. If you ever wanted to go back to stock flash, they will do it for no charge! But, I don't see why I would ever go back. The Alba flash is the first thing I should have done, I know I was running lean from day one, but just didn't know better. Maybe some of the machines are running leaner than mine was and may be causing some of the overheating issues that some are experiencing....? Anyways, I gained some horsepower and run cooler now. I definitely would recommend it to anyone. Call or email Alba Racing and tell them what you're looking to get out of your machine, they are knowledgeable and are happy to answer any questions or give you any suggestions. Let them know Jason from MadDog Customs and Racing sent you, you might end up saving a little money on anything you end up deciding to go with from them👍. I also know for a fact, the "Silent But Deadly" kit is worth every penny also! My buddy is running that and it's also a game changer! Proper break-in, maintaince and high quality oils go a long way also. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!! Hoping this might help someone!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The problem is with the Yamaha windshield that folds down. I had the Alba SBD spark arrestor and it does work great. However, the Graves flash is the best in the business hands-down.
Overall, I think Alba is not as solid as say Weller Racing or Graves in their R&D. I purchased their headers and they would not fit correctly in the exhaust ports so I sent them back. They sent me a second set and they would not fit either so I got my money back and bought the Graves headers and they fit perfect!! Also, when the Alba airbox expander was first released some years back, they forgot to include the correct number o-rings and several customers had their airbox get saturated with dirt -- including mine. No excuse for that at all!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally don't have the Yamaha fold down windshield, I have the polycarbonate quick removal windshield from EMP. It is a full windshield though. My my buddy had the Yamaha fold down on his 19 with the silent but deadly kit and he runs just as hard as me out in the dunes, well almost as hard. 😆 He hasn't had any over heating issues either. His headers seem to fit just fine....? He also had a flash done as part of the silent but deadly kit from Alba. I'm not trying to compare aftermarket companies, they're all great! I personally just have had good experience with Alba Racing. I do know that the other day I was only able to get my engine temp up to 193 degrees, with windshield on and trying to see how hot 🔥I could get it...... yes I was hot, but the motor wasn't. 🥵 The crazy hot backdraft with the windshield on is nice in the winter, but not so nice when it's 90 degrees out. I love running without a windshield, but I think a half windshield would be great for the dunes.... maybe keep a little sand out.
Be safe, have fun, and most of all.... GO BIG!!!👍

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone looked into a larger radiator, or fans that will move more air? I think either of these would cure the problem.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts