Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you have already figured out the plastic air scoop on 19 and newer machines is not doing you any good if you have a windshield and a roof. Its fine when the temps are below 40 degrees as it drags warm air in, but on hotter days not so good. Getting warmer here so I took mine off and drove around it made a big difference. So I made this grille to protect the radiator. The air spills over the roof and dumps into the radiator, and does not push heat into the cab. Noticed a big difference in engine cooling it takes much longer for it to get hot enough for the fans to come on now and they dont stay on as long

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good timing on the thread.
Yesterday was the first warmish (mid 60's) day we have had since I got my 2020 in September. I have a full windshield and back glass on it. I went for a spin down the road, and while it didn't overheat, it was up in the 205 range. I also pulled my radiator cover off, made the same trip, and the temps never went over 194.
I pulled my radiator cover off and drilled (4) 3 5/8 diameter holes in the divider under the cover, and (3) holes in the top of the cover near the front. I didn't drive it after that, but I will post when I do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a '20 SS SE, with a wind shield and soft side windows.
The engine temp has not been effected with these mods.
I have driven in 80 deg temps with no issues.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've seen pics from a couple of people in Arizona that took a dremel tool and cut out the "Yamaha" on the cover for more flow. I myself run a half windshield when it gets hot. I have seen a post about someone who made a snorkel that sucked air from the roof. I was thinking of doing this, when it's 90-100 hate the heat that comes into the cab from the radiator opening when the fans kick on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought about cutting holes too, but plan to put it back on during the cold months. I made mesh side windows for it too, windshield, roof, side windows and NO back window seems to be the setup that pulls the most heat in.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Yes, air scoop from roof and alum in cab block off plate worked great for me. Engine temps are great any temp out and no rad heat into cab. I can remove block off plate and get the rad heat during winter but I haven’t been cold enough to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought the cover was needed so that between the seats the air is pulled in and directed over the radiator surface?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very strange my 19 home made roof. Home made windshield but 5 in gap at bottom. Zero overheating or run hot 🔥 .I'm sure you know Baja gets hot

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought the cover was needed so that between the seats the air is pulled in and directed over the radiator surface?
Plenty of people have lost them and still drove the machine normally with no issues. The worst that could happen is fans come on a bit faster but once they fire up under the radiator the temps drop down really fast.

I expect the fans may be cycling sooner than with the scoop forcing air through when the fans are off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts