Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I know a lot of people prefer the UHMW type skid plates. But most of them that I found, get put on top of the factory skids (in most cases the front OEM skid at least). My problem is, I don't know if there's enough clearance between my front Super ATV bumper and the skids to make it all work without being too thick.

Has anyone tried any of the aluminum skids for sale? I'm finding Axiom seems to be the only big name brand like here but I also see what looks to be the same exact thing unbranded in other places such as here and here. The only reason I'm thinking of going with aluminum is due to my the clearance/thickness with my bumpers front and rear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the issues you will get with aluminum is that it will gouge and bend while the UHMW will flex and slide. UHMW is superior for a skid, while the aluminum would be a great choce for arm guards, etc.
personally have not run any aftermarket skids, but if the superatv bumper is the only thing hindering the install of UHMW skids, i would trash that bumper and just get a different one. plenty on the market with or without winch options.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
285 Posts
I got the Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW skid plate and it worked with everything, however clearancing the plate was needed in some areas. Initially I had the Super ATV bumper installed but honestly I didn't like it much so I converted over to the houser front bumper/tie ins/relocated winch plate setup thereafter, this required a bit more clearancing of the skid plate. All in all everything will work for you but plan on some elbow grease/trial and error clearancing for getting it all to work together, this is the nature of modifying your machine with parts from multiple manufacturers that are trying to occupy the same space.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey all,

I know a lot of people prefer the UHMW type skid plates. But most of them that I found, get put on top of the factory skids (in most cases the front OEM skid at least). My problem is, I don't know if there's enough clearance between my front Super ATV bumper and the skids to make it all work without being too thick.

Has anyone tried any of the aluminum skids for sale? I'm finding Axiom seems to be the only big name brand like here but I also see what looks to be the same exact thing unbranded in other places such as here and here. The only reason I'm thinking of going with aluminum is due to my the clearance/thickness with my bumpers front and rear.
I definitely would not go with an aluminum skid plate. I have 6k miles on a Trail Armour Trail Armor Yamaha YXZ 1000R Full Skids with Integrated Sliders and am very satisfied. It takes a little bit of installation effort but is well worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts