Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 yxz with stock springs and could possibly get a set of 2019 springs pretty cheap, will they mount up properly, im pretty sure mine and the 2019 springs are from the X2 shocks not the RC2s? Im really not looking to hear why I need to spend $2k on respring and revalve because id love to but I just beat this thing off rocks and trees on the east coast. The 2016 springs are just horrible and a less than $100 upgrade would be perfect for me, all about budget mods when possible.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
based on your profile pic you have the rc2 shock (which is superior to the x2)
2019 rear shocks have a different ID than the 1st gen rears but shouldnt be an issue with the correct collars and hardware. confirm the springs are from a rc2 and order em. for the price im sure its still cheaper to try and if they dont work just sell em for what you paid

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
based on your profile pic you have the rc2 shock (which is superior to the x2)
2019 rear shocks have a different ID than the 1st gen rears but shouldnt be an issue with the correct collars and hardware. confirm the springs are from a rc2 and order em. for the price im sure its still cheaper to try and if they dont work just sell em for what you paid
I thought the RC2s came with dual rate springs that had tender springs basically, and only started in later years but you are right they are RC2s. I think they are coming with the collars that the springs used so should be good there anyway.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
I take it these are duel rate 2019 springs you are going to so with that in mind they did change the valving in 2019 on the RC2s and as I understand also the X2s. I don't know how that will affect an RC2 with the older valving. I also don't know if there is a difference in spring rate between the 2019 RC2s and the 2019 X2s. I would say if you have more time than money and are willing to play with it for $100 bucks I would try it. I have a 2019 SE with the RC2 duel rates and I like them very much and don't plan on changing springs or valving. My 2019 rides way better than the 2016 I had. Also, all the Fox shocks for the YXZs are the same as far as the springs go. On the RC2s with the single-coil there is a rubber cap on the rod end that you will have to remove to make the smaller 2019 duel rate springs fit.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
I thought the RC2s came with dual rate springs that had tender springs basically, and only started in later years but you are right they are RC2s. I think they are coming with the collars that the springs used so should be good there anyway.
In 2019 the base model had a single spring like you have now. The SE blue car came with the RC2s with dual-rate springs and the SE white car came with X2s with duel rates.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it these are duel rate 2019 springs you are going to so with that in mind they did change the valving in 2019 on the RC2s and as I understand also the X2s. I don't know how that will affect an RC2 with the older valving. I also don't know if there is a difference in spring rate between the 2019 RC2s and the 2019 X2s. I would say if you have more time than money and are willing to play with it for $100 bucks I would try it. I have a 2019 SE with the RC2 duel rates and I like them very much and don't plan on changing springs or valving. My 2019 rides way better than the 2016 I had. Also, all the Fox shocks for the YXZs are the same as far as the springs go. On the RC2s with the single-coil there is a rubber cap on the rod end that you will have to remove to make the smaller 2019 duel rate springs fit.
Yes they appear to be 2019 dual rates but not dual springs. I know the valving wont be the same but the factory 2016 springs are way too soft in the front and wayy too stiff in the rear. I literally do not think that I could make them worse then they are now, as long as they fit I figured worth a shot.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
36 Posts
I have the 19 w X2’s and the springs sag too much with any weight (accessories), had to crank preload to oblivion to get any ground clearance (it helped a tad). Have yet to even add the GYTR turbo kit, so not getting lighter anytime soon. Called up Weller today and got what they thought would do me well, for the high speed terrain and aggressive woods/trail riding, they said their HD springs are more than likely what would fit me best and the X2’s should be ok with only using their adjustments. Long story short I’m not sure I’d want these springs unless your car is wicked light or you drive really slow, or just have really smooth easy terrain; with preload cranked and everything full stiff I can finally ride hard without bottoming out every g-out.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
Yes they appear to be 2019 dual rates but not dual springs. I know the valving wont be the same but the factory 2016 springs are way too soft in the front and wayy too stiff in the rear. I literally do not think that I could make them worse then they are now, as long as they fit I figured worth a shot.
I'm confused dual rates are dual springs. There are two springs with different rates hence duel rates. The single springs are progressive rate. So what 2019 springs are you looking at?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm confused dual rates are dual springs. There are two springs with different rates hence duel rates. The single springs are progressive rate. So what 2019 springs are you looking at?
Theyre single spring, just got the whole dual rate and progressive terminology mixed up lol these must be the base model springs from 2019

I have the 19 w X2’s and the springs sag too much with any weight (accessories), had to crank preload to oblivion to get any ground clearance (it helped a tad). Have yet to even add the GYTR turbo kit, so not getting lighter anytime soon. Called up Weller today and got what they thought would do me well, for the high speed terrain and aggressive woods/trail riding, they said their HD springs are more than likely what would fit me best and the X2’s should be ok with only using their adjustments. Long story short I’m not sure I’d want these springs unless your car is wicked light or you drive really slow, or just have really smooth easy terrain; with preload cranked and everything full stiff I can finally ride hard without bottoming out every g-out.
Honestly considering ive only ever ridden one place where g-outs were a concern (silver lake sand dunes) i still think these will be a big improvement, hell im pretty sure before my hour meter reset on me my average speed was around 3-4mph, I very rarely get out of third gear most places i ride and thats with a 70/30 reduction

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
If they are the base model single spring I wouldn't waste my time and money. I'm not sure how much difference you are going to see from what you have now. I would Look for a good deal on dual rates. Just make sure they come with the slider and cross-over rings if you find some. My son-in-law just bought some lightly used Eibachs for his 2016 for $250 everything included. These are almost $900 new for the kit. Deals are out there just be patent.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they are the base model single spring I wouldn't waste my time and money. I'm not sure how much difference you are going to see from what you have now. I would Look for a good deal on dual rates. Just make sure they come with the slider and cross-over rings if you find some. My son-in-law just bought some lightly used Eibachs for his 2016 for $250 everything included. These are almost $900 new for the kit. Deals are out there just be patent.
For $60 i will take the risk that they do not do anything, the 2016 springs are so bad with how stiff the rear springs are even a 1% change will be worth it, I know at some point the shocks will need rebuilt when the seals go bad if I have it long enough and then I will do a full revalve and respring.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
Yeah, but buying them is the easy part. You have to pull the shocks and install them then you have to adjust them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but buying them is the easy part. You have to pull the shocks and install them then you have to adjust them.
Thankfully a buddy of mine has a spring compressor and a bunch of the spanner wrenches so fingers crossed its not the worst thing in the world, plus a really nice heated garage lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thankfully a buddy of mine has a spring compressor and a bunch of the spanner wrenches so fingers crossed its not the worst thing in the world, plus a really nice heated garage lol
Sounds like the mind is made up, nothing else to do but to get r dun and report back with your findings!

·
Registered
229 Posts
in the future, if you decide to go dual rates let me know. i have several dual rate spring set ups on our shelves (OEM and aftermarket) and have a book full of measurements and adjustments if you decide you want to play with the settings, preload and crossovers

·
Registered
36 Posts
in the future, if you decide to go dual rates let me know. i have several dual rate spring set ups on our shelves (OEM and aftermarket) and have a book full of measurements and adjustments if you decide you want to play with the settings, preload and crossovers
Do you have info on the OE springs for different years/shock types? I keep reading about these machines being stiff stiff stiff, but mine ('19 w/X2's) sags (ie. 8-9" rear to 9-10" front) and feels very spongy with all the accessories at the OE settings. So the last thing I'd say about it is that it is stiff, although cranking everything full to near full firm on the X2's and adding quite a bit of preload to the springs has got it there, while adding about an inch or two of ground clearance in the process. I'd prefer the machine to be stiff with some ground clearance than very soft with next to none.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you mess with just springs or valving as well? Ive always wished someone would sell a diy kit to avoid on shipping costs there and back for the whole shocks to save money.

Do you have info on the OE springs for different years/shock types? I keep reading about these machines being stiff stiff stiff, but mine ('19 w/X2's) sags (ie. 8-9" rear to 9-10" front) and feels very spongy with all the accessories at the OE settings. So the last thing I'd say about it is that it is stiff, although cranking everything full to near full firm on the X2's and adding quite a bit of preload to the springs has got it there, while adding about an inch or two of ground clearance in the process. I'd prefer the machine to be stiff with some ground clearance than very soft with next to none.
My current front springs are entirely too soft and the rears too stiff, leads to some weird front end diving into corners and nose dives over bumps/jumps, also has very little flex in the rear untill you take the sway bar off then its too much lol

Reactions: RobBeck

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you mess with just springs or valving as well? Ive always wished someone would sell a diy kit to avoid on shipping costs there and back for the whole shocks to save money.

My current front springs are entirely too soft and the rears too stiff, leads to some weird front end diving into corners and nose dives over bumps/jumps, also has very little flex in the rear untill you take the sway bar off then its too much lol
i did the weller dual rates and valving on my last yxz and just HD (50lb heavier) dual rate my current one with factory 19 valving. only had one trip on them before i rolled it but it was very smooth and was able to drive over some big boy whoops at speed (60+)

·
Registered
36 Posts
i did the weller dual rates and valving on my last yxz and just HD (50lb heavier) dual rate my current one with factory 19 valving. only had one trip on them before i rolled it but it was very smooth and was able to drive over some big boy whoops at speed (60+)
The Weller Dual Spring HD's are what I have coming for my '19 as well, is yours an X2 car? Good to hear your preliminary findings with them on the whoops sound favorable! If the body roll is too much I am hoping that can be controlled to my liking with the X2's and crossovers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Weller Dual Spring HD's are what I have coming for my '19 as well, is yours an X2 car? Good to hear your preliminary findings with them on the whoops sound favorable! If the body roll is too much I am hoping that can be controlled to my liking with the X2's and crossovers.
no, rc2 shocks are on mine. i have played with settings a lot, have at least 10hrs of dedicated tuning time on them prior to the HD springs (just adjusting hi/low speed compression and rebound) and i still feel like i can get it better, but the car is getting long travel as we speak so hoping that i dont have to start completely over (im sure i will though haha)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts