Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
36 Posts
no, rc2 shocks are on mine. i have played with settings a lot, have at least 10hrs of dedicated tuning time on them prior to the HD springs (just adjusting hi/low speed compression and rebound) and i still feel like i can get it better, but the car is getting long travel as we speak so hoping that i dont have to start completely over (im sure i will though haha)
The quest for more never ends sometimes, lol. The LT kits have caught my eye but being mostly trail/woods probably a bad idea, more than likely best keeping the machine narrow. Have the Weller HD's on order and can't wait to do the swap, my '19 X2 machine is just way too loaded down with accessories and/or the OE springs are way too soft for my type of riding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just purchased dual rates springs for my 2016. They are from a 2020 and looking for a base set up on them for trail riding. Any info would be great. Also does anyone know the difference in valving in the rear shocks as I would be interested in changing it to the 2020.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just purchased dual rates springs for my 2016. They are from a 2020 and looking for a base set up on them for trail riding. Any info would be great. Also does anyone know the difference in valving in the rear shocks as I would be interested in changing it to the 2020.
2019+ rear shocks have a different spring ID and different internal valving. you can set the preload collars and crossover rings to match the rc2 set ups from 2020+ but the adjusters will net different results due to the internal shim stack being different.

best bet would be to get a pad of paper and pen, go zero out all the adjusters and start tightening compression and rebound to your riding style.

personally this is what i ran on my single rate stock springs, but it felt decent when i went custom dual rate springs as well.

all measurements taken from top of shock body at the reservoir collar

front preload 3"
front crossovers 5"
hi comp- 3 turns out from full stiff
low speed- 2.5 turns from full stiff
rebound- 12 clicks from full stiff

rear preload 5.825"
rear crossover 8.325"
ho comp 2.75 turns from full stiff
low comp- 2.5 turns from full stiff
rebound 12 clicks from full stiff

some tips....
big hits, jumps, fast whoops and hard edge ruts affect hi speed compression. if it feels like the car is blowing through the shock travel, increase hi speed compression (or its a sign you need a stiffer spring)
trail chatter and smaller bumps affect low speed. you can loosen up low speed compression to tune out some of the chatter. too soft though and the car will feel "lofty" or start to bounce throught the shock and ride on the hi speed shim stack.
if the car is bucking, increase rebound dampening. too much dampening and the shock will start to pack in the whoops and not extend back fast enough.

i ride the desert, typically 50-75mph when the space allows. adjust as you see fit.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts