Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine just bought a YXZ and sunk it maybe the second day he owned it. I haven’t personally seen the vehicle but he says that they pulled all of the spark plugs and turned the motor at the crank and it would only turn 3/4th of the way. Personally from my experience I’d imagine it’s bent a rod and some valves if it sucked up as much water as I think it did but I’m not all that familiar with Yamahas and my friend seems to think it’s just bent valves and needs a cylinder head. I have lots of experience with Rover V8’s and BMW’s and he’s asking me to replace the cylinder head but I have a feeling there’s probably more going on that just some bent valves but like I said I’m not familiar with these and haven’t seen the motor in person. What do y’all think about this? Would y’all go ahead and replace the whole engine or throw a head at it? Are the shop manuals readily available? Anybody with experience replacing a head on one of these?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Pull the head and you will soon know if it is up there or in deeper. Manual not a problem. Ebay has digital versions. Water doesn't usually bend valves but rather the rods. I guess the cold quench could make the exhaust valve warped.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything until I tore it apart and assessed it. I am no engine expert, but guessing at what you may or may not need is usually going to lead to overspending at a minimum. Nothing to lose.... right? Take it apart and see what you find. If you get the head off and the motor still only turns 3/4, then you know the bottom needs to done too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That’s a good idea. It’s not my vehicle and the owner is saying he’ll buy the head and try that if I’ll install it. So maybe offer to pull the head and see if it turns freely from there? And yeah I’d never really heard of water bending valves except for like you said from the sudden cool down possibly. I bet it’s got a bent rod, I know it’s basically new but does it make more sense to rebuild this motor if a rods bent or are these engines cheap enough that it’s be better just to swap one in?

·
Registered
820 Posts
If money is no object, then just get a complete motor. Keep the old one for spare parts. Sounds like he may be needing them. The head is probably the only good part at this point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So a buddy of mine just bought a YXZ and sunk it maybe the second day he owned it. I haven’t personally seen the vehicle but he says that they pulled all of the spark plugs and turned the motor at the crank and it would only turn 3/4th of the way. Personally from my experience I’d imagine it’s bent a rod and some valves if it sucked up as much water as I think it did but I’m not all that familiar with Yamahas and my friend seems to think it’s just bent valves and needs a cylinder head. I have lots of experience with Rover V8’s and BMW’s and he’s asking me to replace the cylinder head but I have a feeling there’s probably more going on that just some bent valves but like I said I’m not familiar with these and haven’t seen the motor in person. What do y’all think about this? Would y’all go ahead and replace the whole engine or throw a head at it? Are the shop manuals readily available? Anybody with experience replacing a head on one of these?
How about acting dumb and get it taken care of under warranty. Note very ethical but Yamaha can afford it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
They would figure that out quickly IMO.

Reactions: Zilla

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
705 Posts
Did you pull the plugs? Sounds like the motor might be hydrauliced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you pull the plugs? Sounds like the motor might be hydrauliced.
I haven’t gotten it yet but he pulled the plugs and tried to turn it over and will only turn 3/4th of the way. He’s said a little more and sounds like he went through water, it was running fine then stalled a little later. Then tried to turn it back on and that was it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts