Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still no spy photos of the release coming in a few weeks of the new yamaha vehicles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am patiently waiting and almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 4 seater Honda talon live valve for 22,3k out the door. $1100 more with 5 year warranty. Still really wanna see what Yamaha is going to bring. I know coronavirus May have a hold on things but the dealer invite event is for June 2-5 if i remember correctly. Only time will tell but i am in need of a 4 seater ASAP!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am patiently waiting and almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 4 seater Honda talon live valve for 22,3k out the door. $1100 more with 5 year warranty. Still really wanna see what Yamaha is going to bring. I know coronavirus May have a hold on things but the dealer invite event is for June 2-5 if i remember correctly. Only time will tell but i am in need of a 4 seater ASAP!
I think I would wait for the Yamaha release...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I would wait for the Yamaha release...
I just don’t think the Yamaha will get to dealers in time. Let’s say corona virus doesn’t postpone the event the earliest dealers will have the machine for sale will be maybe August ? And then they’re not gonna wanna haggle the price down on a brand new unit. Right now a 4 Seater live valve talon msrp is $24k I’m getting it out the door with 6 year warranty for under msrp.
My Yamaha sure has been great for me but I’m in Florida and the summer and rain is about to come and my YXZ isn’t going to get me around mud like a talon will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just don’t think the Yamaha will get to dealers in time. Let’s say corona virus doesn’t postpone the event the earliest dealers will have the machine for sale will be maybe August ? And then they’re not gonna wanna haggle the price down on a brand new unit. Right now a 4 Seater live valve talon msrp is $24k I’m getting it out the door with 6 year warranty for under msrp.
My Yamaha sure has been great for me but I’m in Florida and the summer and rain is about to come and my YXZ isn’t going to get me around mud like a talon will.
I have both a YXZ and a Honda Talon X. I like both a lot but at this point if I had just one it would be a Talon but not by a long shot. I am curious to see what Yamaha comes out with. And then if I was going to get a 4-seater right now it would be a Talon also. The 4-seater version of the Talon is a decent amount shorter than most other brands of a 4-seater. Most 4-seaters are to long in opinion for my riding. They are both good and a blast to drive!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hometeam, since you have both YXZ and Talon X, some questions. I like the YXZ because it felt the most planted/stable/least 'tippy' of all the machines that I rode in (admittedly primarily RZRs,)and don't like the laid back seating and sight lines out of Can-Ams. In your opinion how do the sight lines, down to trail, and up to next steep hill, and how How does the stability feel between the 2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hometeam, since you have both YXZ and Talon X, some questions. I like the YXZ because it felt the most planted/stable/least 'tippy' of all the machines that I rode in (admittedly primarily RZRs,)and don't like the laid back seating and sight lines out of Can-Ams. In your opinion how do the sight lines, down to trail, and up to next steep hill, and how How does the stability feel between the 2?

Thanks!

Well, I will try to keep this as short as possible! I do believe that some of these things are subjective to people's experiences and how they drive.

So our two machines are a 2017 YXZ SS SE with the tubeworks 70/30 gear reduction and all the standard clutch goodies. It has aftermarket beadlock wheels that are 14-in x 10-in wide and are a 5+5 offset (which I will say to me is a mistake and I am looking to change that setup). Next is a 2020 Honda Talon X with 30-in tires on stock wheels.

IMG_20200514_184354.jpg

So for stability I would probably place these machines very similar to each other and both feel really stable and confident in corners to me. With the YXZ wheel offset setup it's 69.5 inches wide, so it has a wider stance than the stock wheel Talon. The main thing the YXZ has over the Talon in the ride quality and handling is the Fox X2 shocks. The YXZ's suspension can be adjusted so many ways that the ride becomes very dialed in! It is such a fun car to push hard. And flat rips through the trails! The Talon at fast trail speeds smooths out and is a lot of fun to rip through trails and because it stays so flat with almost zero body roll in corners you can really control it with the throttle! I really like both of them! The main reason I would pick the Talon if I had to own just one would be because it has a low gear. Otherwise they both don't have a belt and they both are great in liability and fun!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I forgot to talk about the sight lines. With the front end of the YXZ dropping off so fast you can see more out of front. But if you are sitting back in the seat not leaning forward they r very close to even since the seating position feels a slightly more laid back in the YXZ. They both see up hill just fine and I don't feel either has bad sight lines anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thx Hometeam, agreed on all the YXZ stuff, of course I don't know the Talon stuff, but now because of you I know lots more ;-). Took YXZ out to Yuma dunes yesterday, it was hot, 100 degrees, and were the only ones out there so had to be a little careful. YXZ was most stable feeling SxS that i'd been in in the dunes. Best part was running the whoops at just over 40 mph, was like fun magic carpet, OK, more like smooth carnival ride, 20 year old daughter, that was a little nervous, absolutely loved the whoops, big smiles. Seemed to like to get pulled side-2-side in already existing tracks in very soft deep sand a lot, tries lots of different pressures 12 - 9 psi 30" Sand wedges front and 29" Sand Slingers rear (they roll-out the same) The sand slingers are very poorly comp cut, bought both sets used just to get a sand tire baseline. I think the ribs on the Wedges were catching the tracks and wanting to follow them. Thinking about 'mohawk' cutting the ribs on the wedges to get more forward propulsion and less unintended side-2-side grab, need to figure out the paddle thing. Started running in 2wd, switching to 4wd was like night/day better in that really deep soft sand. Power is adequate, really need to know how to drive it in dunes, keep momentum, good rhythm and flow and it works great, get bolluxed up in soft/tight or on soft hill, not a lot of extra power to assist, of course low gear with no speed just means dig in and stuck, good driving and attention a must. Anyway Talon might be second machine, 2 2 seaters instead of 1 4 seater so that we always have a 'companion', so your input is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is basically why we have multiple machines instead of a 4-seater! I usually end up in the Honda Talon, 15 year old usually in the YXZ, my 12 year old in a Polaris Ace, and my 7 year old in a hammerhead!! My boys don't want to ride they want to drive!!
IMG_20200506_200239.jpg MVIMG_20200506_114133.jpg IMG_20200507_084528.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
My guess is on something belt driven - along the lines of the Wildcat XX. IDK if it will be a yxz with belt drive or a totally different model......

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I saw the actual Yamaha dealer teaser video released last fall for the upcoming 2021 models. Though no actual details were discussed, the Yamaha VP said that these new models will have the industry talking. The original release was scheduled to be the first week in June at a dealer meeting in Park City, Utah. However, that gathering has been cancelled due to the virus. So, no word on when these new models will be announced. My personal opinion is 2/4 seater with the YXZ engine, but will have either a low range and/or belt for the rock crawling crowd. It will compete head-on with the Talon and KRX but with a sweet 3 cylinder engine. I think that Yamaha has been working on this new platform (s) for several years, and will not disappoint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I will try to keep this as short as possible! I do believe that some of these things are subjective to people's experiences and how they drive.

So our two machines are a 2017 YXZ SS SE with the tubeworks 70/30 gear reduction and all the standard clutch goodies. It has aftermarket beadlock wheels that are 14-in x 10-in wide and are a 5+5 offset (which I will say to me is a mistake and I am looking to change that setup). Next is a 2020 Honda Talon X with 30-in tires on stock wheels.

View attachment 116123

So for stability I would probably place these machines very similar to each other and both feel really stable and confident in corners to me. With the YXZ wheel offset setup it's 69.5 inches wide, so it has a wider stance than the stock wheel Talon. The main thing the YXZ has over the Talon in the ride quality and handling is the Fox X2 shocks. The YXZ's suspension can be adjusted so many ways that the ride becomes very dialed in! It is such a fun car to push hard. And flat rips through the trails! The Talon at fast trail speeds smooths out and is a lot of fun to rip through trails and because it stays so flat with almost zero body roll in corners you can really control it with the throttle! I really like both of them! The main reason I would pick the Talon if I had to own just one would be because it has a low gear. Otherwise they both don't have a belt and they both are great in liability and fun!)
What don't you like about the offset on your beadlocks? I'm about to buy a set after using the stock wheels for 4yrs. I have concerns about bump steer. I have ridden quads with wider offset wheels than stock in the past and didn't like the feedback. However, that could have been the amount of offset the wheels had.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What's with all the belt talk? We don't need no sinking belt, low range maybe but no belt. Honda does just fine without a belt in the rocks. Can you imagine a SS with low range in the rocks? Now that would rock!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What don't you like about the offset on your beadlocks? I'm about to buy a set after using the stock wheels for 4yrs. I have concerns about bump steer. I have ridden quads with wider offset wheels than stock in the past and didn't like the feedback. However, that could have been the amount of offset the wheels had.
Yes that is exactly it. With the offset that wide there is feedback through the steering wheel and the extra rim width and weight of an 10-in wide wheel with 11-in wide tires it does a number on front end components. When you go to a taller tire you can add offset to the wheel without totally changing your scrub radius. But when you get a tire that far out from its pivot/leverage point it doesn't take as much of a hit to bend a tie rod or a mess something else up. We bent a tie rod last time out and it wasn't even that bad of a hit. On cars like the YXZ or the Honda Talon a 5+2 offset with taller tires will get you a wider stance without affecting much of the designed steering and handling characteristics up front. The rear end is not as big of a deal because it doesn't turn and have as many moving components since it basically goes up and down. A 4 + 3 offset won't be as bad in the feedback through the steering wheel but I believe it will still lead to more front end component failures. If you ever watched some of the blown budget guys videos the main reason (I believe) "Ticky" didn't break as many parts as the other 2 YXZ's was because it didn't have the wide offsets that the other two had on their YXZ's. In the sand a wide offset is not as penalizing because you typically aren't hitting large immovable objects like you are on trails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's with all the belt talk? We don't need no sinking belt, low range maybe but no belt. Honda does just fine without a belt in the rocks. Can you imagine a SS with low range in the rocks? Now that would rock!
I totally agree....NO Belt!!! I put Honda and Yamaha typically on the same level when it comes to quality and pure driving enjoyment! A belt-driven machine to me is kind of boring and less interactive to drive. Anyone can stab the throttle and hang onto the steering wheel. My dad has a full performance Tesla S, and I have had lots of sports cars that have had tons of mods done to them. Even though his Tesla is fun to drive and crazy quick (0-60 in 2.X seconds) it has a boringness to it. My wife could make the Tesla do the exact same thing I can because there's no skill in driving it. That's the way I feel about belt machines compared to a machine that I get to bang through gears and hold RPMs where I want them. Different flavors for us all but I prefer to have a transmission and would be sad if Yamaha went away from the transmission. But if Yamaha had a low range I might not own a Talon also!!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts