Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting.
It seems to have a wet clutch driving a constant pressure belt?
10 year warranty on the belt?

<<
The Toughest Transmission
The Proven Off-Road technology of Yamaha’s Ultramatic® system is unmatched in the industry. Backed by the industry's only 10-year belt warranty, the CVT system utilizes a new, centrifugal wet clutch purpose-built to withstand the power from the new 999cc engine, and a constant tension belt system for tackling obstacles in high rev range without fear of damaging the belt. When more torque is needed, the low gear is perfect for challenging conditions. The robust CVT system means less time switching gears and more fun taking on any terrain.

My sister needs something I wont have to work on.
I would like to see some reviews.
It seems to have some whistles and bells - cab and floor lighting, lighted rocker switch, etc.
But 23k is a bit steep for 15" of wheel travel.
I'm seeing 4 seat Talon's for 23k
And 2020 YXZ's for 16k -
I have a 2020 Talon X also and I can tell you your sister will like it!! It is a great machine! Keep her away from a belt!!;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
A friend has a Talon X he likes it and hasn't had any issues. Go on their forums and you just hope you aren't one of those unlucky ones. They are having transmission issues that are expensive to repair. If it was out of warrantee the repair bill would be upwards of $5000 easily. That is a big chunk.
You are practically forced to keep a full coverage warrantee in effect to own it.

I guess all brands could void your warrantee but Honda absolutely does void your warrantee if you have changed to a larger tire.

They have them at my local dealer brand new with tires already on them and HUGE signs stating there is NO WARRANTEE.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A friend has a Talon X he likes it and hasn't had any issues. Go on their forums and you just hope you aren't one of those unlucky ones. They are having transmission issues that are expensive to repair. If it was out of warrantee the repair bill would be upwards of $5000 easily. That is a big chunk.
You are practically forced to keep a full coverage warrantee in effect to own it.

I guess all brands could void your warrantee but Honda absolutely does void your warrantee if you have changed to a larger tire.

They have them at my local dealer brand new with tires already on them and HUGE signs stating there is NO WARRANTEE.
2019YXZSSSE -

I did as you suggested and checked the Talon forum.
Holy crap.
Lots of electrical issues, diff leaks and even complete engine failures.
Some of those Talon issues were brand new cars.
Hard to believe. I've always thought Honda built great stuff - generators to dirt bikes.
My Can Am threw codes and limp modes all the time.
I see friends RZR's break a lot.
It seems this forum has YXZ issues too, but it seems to be with mods.
Seldom see a member asking about a problem on a stock YXZ.
Maybe I'll put her in a YXZ. Throw some harnesses, radio, lights and call it good.
That has worked for me.

End of rant /

·
Registered
20 Posts
I won't completely get into it on a Yamaha forum but that stuff is not all exactly true. A lot of user idiots and nobody adjusting the shifter linkage cable. I have lots of Talon owners I ride with and they have zero issues and we beat the living piss out of them! The Yamaha YXZ had some idiots when it first came out and started giving it a bad name too!! It is still Honda quality just like Yamaha quality.

Love driving both of them!!

IMG_20200904_170419.jpg IMG_20200811_214431.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
I won't completely get into it on a Yamaha forum but that stuff is not all exactly true. A lot of user idiots and nobody adjusting the shifter linkage cable. I have lots of Talon owners I ride with and they have zero issues and we beat the living piss out of them! The Yamaha YXZ had some idiots when it first came out and started giving it a bad name too!! It is still Honda quality just like Yamaha quality.

Love driving both of them!!

View attachment 116726 View attachment 116727
That shifter cable adjustment issue is blowing transmissions on new vehicles. Sounds like they should have used something that was move positive and is set it and forget it. Linkage, electronic shift solenoid or something. The transmission end of it should have had detents to lock it in each position and not depend on shifter at end of cable being just perfect to keep the other end just perfect. If the transmission is not being held properly by the shifter then there should be a sensor that triggers a check transmission shift cable adjustment or something. How often does one need adjusting ? it is happening to low miles machines too. Long before use could have thrown off the initial setting. Whatever is allowing them to get out of adjustment is Hondas fault in design not the customer that didn't check the adjustment the first week he owns it.

The shift cable should never be under heavy stress of any sort to speak of so why should it ever even need adjusting after the initial and if it does at the risk of blowing the transmission then it is a poor design plain and simple. Blaming on the customer for not making sure a shifter cable is adjusted just right is comical on a brand new machine. Most people haven't even checked their oil yet but yet it is time to adjust the shifter cable or risk destruction of the transmission.

People are waiting months to get there sub transmissions fixed since they can't get parts to fix them.

Blow one after warranty is up and you may be close to a total loss.

Hear the dealers are backed up 2 to 3 months to even look at one never mind tearing it down seeing what it needs and then finally ordering the parts only to have something be on backorder for 2-3 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That shifter cable adjustment issue is blowing transmissions on new vehicles. Sounds like they should have used something that was move positive and is set it and forget it. Linkage, electronic shift solenoid or something. The transmission end of it should have had detents to lock it in each position and not depend on shifter at end of cable being just perfect to keep the other end just perfect. If the transmission is not being held properly by the shifter then there should be a sensor that triggers a check transmission shift cable adjustment or something. How often does one need adjusting ? it is happening to low miles machines too. Long before use could have thrown off the initial setting. Whatever is allowing them to get out of adjustment is Hondas fault in design not the customer that didn't check the adjustment the first week he owns it.

The shift cable should never be under heavy stress of any sort to speak of so why should it ever even need adjusting after the initial and if it does at the risk of blowing the transmission then it is a poor design plain and simple. Blaming on the customer for not making sure a shifter cable is adjusted just right is comical on a brand new machine. Most people haven't even checked their oil yet but yet it is time to adjust the shifter cable or risk destruction of the transmission.

People are waiting months to get there sub transmissions fixed since they can't get parts to fix them.

Blow one after warranty is up and you may be close to a total loss.

Hear the dealers are backed up 2 to 3 months to even look at one never mind tearing it down seeing what it needs and then finally ordering the parts only to have something be on backorder for 2-3 months.
I own one! So I know what the deal is and that is not exactly true....but I do agree a solid linkage of some sort would have been best. It is the low gear dogs that get sheared off and then low won't stay engaged. When the shift cable gets out of adjustment they don't get it all the way in gear before they take off. After the initial stretch of the cable it really isn't an issue from then on but it does have a one to two time stretch adjustment on it. If adjusted which it says in the manual to do the transmission will go into low and it will never be a problem. That is what I have done and I do not have a problem. That is what all the others that I know have done and they do not have a problem either. So yes the design could be better but it will work as told in the manual how to keep it working. That is why I said it is user error.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just weird that there would be enough strain even on a shift cable for it to be out of adjustment EVER. Shift cables are usually thick as heck because the cable has to pull and extend with pressure and not something that can really even work if it isn't pretty good size cable. Pretty good size cables on a shift mechanism should NEVER go out of adjustment. Just the fact they are relying on shifter detents to actually ENGAGE and HOLD the transmission in any gear is a poor design. Misadjusted cable should never have been designed to blow transmissions. Too much at stake and obviously a VERY PISS POOR design. A single micro switch on the shifter and transmission could have warned of the transmission not being fully engaged in the gear. They have so much technology in that transmission but couldn't figure a way to not have this happening just doesn't make sense. Wicked bad ass engineering and then shift it with a garbage design. Kinda blows the whole deal. They should have done better on such a important part of the car.

Shift cables should only need initial adjustment for the life of a vehicle. How and why is it stretching so much and needing adjustment so soon ? I could fully understand if it was a working part that gets worn while it is driven and needs a touch up on the adjustment of something is perfectly understandable but a SHIFT CABLE. Nah !!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
We decided on getting her the Wolverine.
Plenty of power for her (59 yrs old). Saw a video of it going 72 mph.
Comes with 30" rubber.
It looks bullet proof. I will seldom be wrenching on it.
Sounds really quiet.
Interior looks like a 4Runner. Nice lighting. Center console <and> glove compartment.
The Yamaha Adventure Pro is built into the dash. Comes with a stereo.
She can throw her lawn chair in the cargo bed for sunset tours.
Going with the top end Blue LE model.

Throw some harnesses and a radio in it.

Done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered one also. Spoke to my dealer today. Hope to see it in 2 or 3 weeks. Checks all the boxes for me. I think it will sell well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was able to make a trip to Moab on Labor Day and test drive the new RMAX XTR 2. I was blown away by this new machine. The quality fit and finish was the best I have ever seen in a SXS.
It was sooo comfortable to drive and the cab is automotive inspired for sure. The guys from Big Pine Sports took the RMAX on several very difficult trails/obstacles. The machine performed like a champ. Yamaha has set a new standard with this machine, it looks so much better in real life than in photos/videos. If anyone is sitting on the fence regarding buying a new machine, you have to wait and let this RMAX win your heart. It will appeal to a very broad audience, it is not a traditional sport SXS -- but it has a sporty feel to it. The 1000cc engine is new, and it really screams when you want it to. It climbs like a billy goat. I plan on keeping my YXZ, but I am interested in the RMAX 4. Yamaha did their homework on this machine.

After driving the RMAX, I spent several hours in a KRX hitting all my favorite stuff in Moab. Other than I loved the sound of the engine, it was all downhill from there. This KRX was a rattle trap, and I experienced clunking sounds in the rear. It is a great rock crawler, but in the whoops and higher speed trails it did not handle near as good as my YXZ. The suspension was so harsh that after 4 hours I was ready to get out. I had the shock settings on the soft mode, too. The heat in the cab was noticeable (none in my 2019 YXZ). My first love was a Teryx T4, so I was Kawasaki man all the way at one time. My cousin has a KRX, and with his windshield installed it gets very hot in the cab. The RMAX has solved this problem with good engineering, even with the rad in the front.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was able to make a trip to Moab on Labor Day and test drive the new RMAX XTR 2. I was blown away by this new machine. The quality fit and finish was the best I have ever seen in a SXS.
It was sooo comfortable to drive and the cab is automotive inspired for sure. The guys from Big Pine Sports took the RMAX on several very difficult trails/obstacles. The machine performed like a champ. Yamaha has set a new standard with this machine, it looks so much better in real life than in photos/videos. If anyone is sitting on the fence regarding buying a new machine, you have to wait and let this RMAX win your heart. It will appeal to a very broad audience, it is not a traditional sport SXS -- but it has a sporty feel to it. The 1000cc engine is new, and it really screams when you want it to. It climbs like a billy goat. I plan on keeping my YXZ, but I am interested in the RMAX 4. Yamaha did their homework on this machine.

After driving the RMAX, I spent several hours in a KRX hitting all my favorite stuff in Moab. Other than I loved the sound of the engine, it was all downhill from there. This KRX was a rattle trap, and I experienced clunking sounds in the rear. It is a great rock crawler, but in the whoops and higher speed trails it did not handle near as good as my YXZ. The suspension was so harsh that after 4 hours I was ready to get out. I had the shock settings on the soft mode, too. The heat in the cab was noticeable (none in my 2019 YXZ). My first love was a Teryx T4, so I was Kawasaki man all the way at one time. My cousin has a KRX, and with his windshield installed it gets very hot in the cab. The RMAX has solved this problem with good engineering, even with the rad in the front.
Rsessions -

Thanks for the great driver feedback and comments.
The Wolverine seems to be a flagship car for Yamaha, nothing left out.
I agree with the cab comment - seems like you're sitting the Lexus of SxS's.
This is a good car for someone to beat up and not have to wrench on it.
Not the fastest car .. not the most wheel travel .... blah, blah.
You just dump gas in it and enjoy every weekend.
Have a cocktail while others are trying to fix a fault code.

Sold.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts