Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this info is out there in different forms but I figured this may be beneficial to someone on the fence.

to start weller is absolutely awesome, I’ve called them a bunch of times before and after pulling the trigger on the turbo, each and every time they have been nothing but helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.

secondly I actually ordered the turbo kit through a local Southern California shop Fast Lab UTV, they have been absolutely awesome too. They helped me figure out what parts were best, necessary, and options for parts if need be. They helped me decide on the weller kit. Can’t thank them enough I highly recommend this shop.

next, the car it’s going on. I have a 2017 se, stock motor for major parts, stock exhaust (hogged out). I have the basics, Smog plates, PC5 w/pod 300, afr gauge etc.

my kit should be here in the next week or so I’ll keep updating

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The car may not be as stock as I made it seem, it does have 70/30 gear reduction, weller thermostat housing and Barnett dirt digger clutch and pressure plate.

I am currently not going to touch the motor internally. I am/was very skeptical of the internals on the pre 19 motors however, speaking with weller they told me time and time again that they designed this kit to be bolt on, no internals required and that I should not worry. With that in mind and trusting the expertise I will follow their guidance. I will run 7PSI.

I bought their kit with nothing but the throttle body lock down kit. I already have the PC5, it is the non PTI version so I have to add in the 3 bar map sensor. This was a major appeal to me because I didn’t have to make another purchase of a fuel controller. Dynojet told me the pc5 is exactly the same as the PTI version except the map sensor is not directly hardwired into the pc5. I also will not run a boost gauge as I will run the POD on dual read out, one being AFR second being boost.

I do also plan to run a map switch, I was not initially intending to do this however when I looked at the different elevations I run as well as the simplicity of wiring in the map switch I decided to do it. It sounds like the hardest part will be figuring out where the switch will be in the car.

I also did not purchase exhaust, the turbo is 3” v band clamp out, I am going to build 3” stainless exhaust. I was very tempted to buy the weller exhaust because everything is already said and done. I will (for now) run 3” back and out the center no muffler, no spark arrestor. CA bureau of land management does not require spark arrestors on vehicles which 100% of exhaust gases pass through a turbo. Turbos are deemed 100% effective in breaking down carbon to sizes small enough to pass through a spark arrestor screen. (I’ve called and spoken with multiple jurisdictions to confirm.). One place I may run into an issue is if i am in an area for US Forest Service. I understand the car may be loud, if it’s too loud I’ll throw a muffler on it.

·
Vendor
38 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend at least replacing the rods with 2019+ rods. I know some people have gotten away with it but I would NOT take that chance. I would never recommend a customer to run stock ('16-'18) internals with any forced induction.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Ethan! Super pumped on this build and cannot wait to see what she drives like. Rods are getting done in the off season @[email protected] . Weller insisted the kit will be reliable with stock rods, but i agree rods and shimless buckets would be great peace of mind. hopefully next season we can see double digit boost numbers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts