Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A short question to regardin the tyre brand choice. We intend to race on the closed course with mostly hardpack or intermediate surface. Hard/intermediate gravel and sand but not the 'dune type'. Sometimes wet grassed with muddy underlayer but not really a deep mud survival type stuff. We don't get such a variety of choices here but below I give you a couple of those that are locally available. Let me know your pick for the above mentioned use. Looking rather for a flat profile tyre than a round one.

1. MAXXIS Carnivores
2. ITP Ultracross
3. ITP Versacross
4. ITP Terrahook
5. JOURNEY P3057
6. KENDA K576A
7. MAXXIS ML7 Roxxzilla
8. MAXXIS Liberty ML3

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro XP that came with the Carnivores. I absolutely HATED THEM!

They do ok in the dirt. But get them wet, and you may as well be running slicks. Zero grip on wet climbs.

I currently run the ITP Ultracross on my YXZ, and Love almost everything about them. They ride nice. They grip in all terrain. My only complaint is several punctures including one sidewall.

Never had a flat in years of riding, and have had 3 flats in one season. Maybe it’s the tires, maybe it’s bad luck. Either way, I still like the tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Man,

Thanks for the info. I have the same - OEM SE 'carnivores' 29". Besides the fact the rear is bit worn they suck in wet. On top they are inconsistent as when the surface is wet they slide but when they dig in a bit they get extreme edge/side grip. This is actually how I tipped mine last weekend (you can see pics in the Drivetrain Forum). However there might be a catch in the name - if you look at the tire they are actually called 'Carnages' instead of 'Carnivores' and they are only made in 29" for Yamaha OEM. So maybe the real Carnivores are different but hard to take a guess on almost $1k tire set...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts