Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Id give it a shot-- Im running two smart whips as well as a 40 inch curved light bar-- It has been running for a while and haven't seen any negative effects as of yet!! Fingers crossed! ------ Motor vehicle Automobile repair shop Vehicle Factory Industry Not running a double battery-----

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
----Hate being the idiot but I have no clue what kind of light bar Im running-- Bought it from a friend who is a dealer for multiple kinds of light bars-- I just went with the biggest that would fit-

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes please go grab a volt meter my car just came in today but can't go get it till sat. This is one of the biggest things I wanna figure out

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill get the volts for ya fellas tomorrow for sure-- Its at the away from home garage--=/

·
Registered
348 Posts
Keep us updated

What is your DC voltage reading before add-on lights are on ??

What is your DC voltage reading After add-on lights are turn on and working the power steering back and fourth and at idle and like say 3000 rpm's ??

Small 12 volt wet cell battery normal need to be charged between 13.8 to 14.1V and then held there for some time before it will be fully charged this is so the cell's will not gas @ the 13.8 to 14.1 specs

Minimum charge @ 12.9
Trickle charge @ 13.5 to 13.6
Normal charge @ 13.8 to 14.1
Fast charge 14.4 to 14.8

Reactions: jfulps

·
Registered
83 Posts
----Hate being the idiot but I have no clue what kind of light bar Im running-- Bought it from a friend who is a dealer for multiple kinds of light bars-- I just went with the biggest that would fit-
I'm guessing you have a single row Totron brand light bar. Won't miss you coming with those tall whips!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing you have a single row Totron brand light bar. Won't miss you coming with those tall whips!
Nope-- Double row-- but yeah, those whips are what I have on my rzr, they light up red when I brake-- Absolutely love them-

·
Registered
589 Posts
You can just read the Batt voltage on the display. May need to toggle through the odom/time and so forth. With it idling, have everything on and wait for the fan to kick on. Watch the display and when the fan is on turn the wheels back and forth to get the EPS working. If it's over 12.7 volts, it fine and not discharging the battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you post a picture from the front? I would like to see how your lightbar looks. What brand are your whips?
They are called Smart Whips--- great design, 12 colors, and a SOS signal if broken down-- When I get to the shop Ill post a ton of pics and look at the box for brand of light bar too! Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I updated the voltage specs for you I had surgery yesterday and was not thinking clear that you had only one battery plus a small battery most likely in the yxz and I posted fast charge specs plus you want it to be in the normal range but it will work at 12.9 but you will be at very very slow charge rate.

Minimum charge @ 12.9
Trickle charge @ 13.5 to 13.6
Normal charge @ 13.8 to 14.1
Fast charge @ 14.4 to 14.8

If you are below 12.9 you will start slowly discharging your battery and shorten it's life

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great news!! Its been 3 hours of riding around, the gage never registered less than 13.2 charge rate, running both whips and double light bar!
I have a strange feeling theres not a lot of dealers or people that know enough about these things as of yet!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great news!! Its been 3 hours of riding around, the gage never registered less than 13.2 charge rate, running both whips and double light bar!
I have a strange feeling theres not a lot of dealers or people that know enough about these things as of yet!
Was this reading taken at the battery terminal ?

Reason is the cluster volt meter can read a little higher and you could have about .2 voltage drop at the battery but you would still be in the low volt specs say 13.0v

It would be cool to know what led light bar you have and know what amps it draws or use amp meter to read it.

What is the whips amp specs ?

Thanks for the information :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts